doublet question

Old July 17th 05, 06:55 PM
Mike

Default doublet question

I have an 80 mm doublet that was cemented but was designed as an airspace.
I can't explain why that happened but it did. How can I restore it back to
being an air-space as it was designed to be?

Old July 17th 05, 07:28 PM
Richard F.L.R.Snashall

Mike wrote:
I have an 80 mm doublet that was cemented but was designed as an airspace.
I can't explain why that happened but it did. How can I restore it back to
being an air-space as it was designed to be?

Not to be snippety, but: cf. Fixing cemented doublet thread,
but don't.
Old July 17th 05, 08:46 PM
William Hamblen

On 2005-07-17, Mike wrote:
I have an 80 mm doublet that was cemented but was designed as an airspace.
I can't explain why that happened but it did. How can I restore it back to
being an air-space as it was designed to be?

Refer to the thread with the subject "Fixing a Cemented Doublet" for
information on uncementing a lens. Cemented objectives have to have
the same interior curves on the front and rear elements and so are
designed to be cemented. Air spaced objectives usually have different
interior curves on the front and rear elements to keep down interior
reflections and therefore can't be cemented. What tells you this was
originally an air spaced doublet?
Old July 17th 05, 08:57 PM
Bob May

How do you know it should be an air spaced doublet? Unless it was built as
an amateur lens, what you have really is what it should be.
The only way that you can get a lens pair to glue together is if the two
surfaces have the same ROC and when you do an airspaced lens, the two
surfaces are very rarely anywhere near close enough ot be gluaeable.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Old July 17th 05, 09:20 PM
Mike

On 2005-07-17, Mike wrote:
I have an 80 mm doublet that was cemented but was designed as an
airspace.
I can't explain why that happened but it did. How can I restore it back
being an air-space as it was designed to be?

Refer to the thread with the subject "Fixing a Cemented Doublet" for
information on uncementing a lens. Cemented objectives have to have
the same interior curves on the front and rear elements and so are
designed to be cemented. Air spaced objectives usually have different
interior curves on the front and rear elements to keep down interior
reflections and therefore can't be cemented. What tells you this was
originally an air spaced doublet?

I bought it as an air-spaced form Tele Hoon. I decided to clean it but
forgot to mark the orginal position.
I tolf this to Hoon and he told me to send it back and he would fix it.
I cam back cemented, marked and having three metal spacers between the
elements. I
just presumed he knew what he was doing but now I have my doubts.

Old July 17th 05, 10:00 PM
CLT

I bought it as an air-spaced form Tele Hoon. I decided to clean it but
forgot to mark the orginal position.
I tolf this to Hoon and he told me to send it back and he would fix it.
I cam back cemented, marked and having three metal spacers between the
elements. I
just presumed he knew what he was doing but now I have my doubts.

The metal spacers hold more distance than it would glued. He may have glued
the spacers or some glue around the edges.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

To reply, remove Delete and change period com to period net
************************************************** ************

Old July 18th 05, 01:46 AM
William Hamblen

On 2005-07-17, Mike wrote:

I bought it as an air-spaced form Tele Hoon. I decided to clean it but
forgot to mark the orginal position.
I tolf this to Hoon and he told me to send it back and he would fix it.
I cam back cemented, marked and having three metal spacers between the
elements. I
just presumed he knew what he was doing but now I have my doubts.

Metal spacers = air spaced.

My guess is he stuck the lenses together with a drop of cement on
either side of each spacer to keep it from coming apart. Don't
fool with it any more.

--
e-Harmony.com called the cops after I sent in my personality profile.
Old July 18th 05, 02:10 AM
Mike

On 2005-07-17, Mike wrote:

I bought it as an air-spaced form Tele Hoon. I decided to clean it but
forgot to mark the orginal position.
I tolf this to Hoon and he told me to send it back and he would fix it.
I cam back cemented, marked and having three metal spacers between the
elements. I
just presumed he knew what he was doing but now I have my doubts.

Metal spacers = air spaced.

My guess is he stuck the lenses together with a drop of cement on
either side of each spacer to keep it from coming apart. Don't
fool with it any more.

ok

VOTE! Usenet Kook Awards, March 2005 [email protected] Astronomy Misc 108 May 16th 05 02:55 AM
Just a big question... Double-A Misc 2 May 8th 05 03:05 PM
question about the mechanism of energy conservation in free fall Jim Jastrzebski Research 4 November 27th 04 07:01 PM
Question about alignment & pointing north, level Mike Amateur Astronomy 8 September 7th 03 12:04 AM
Rookie question. How dark is MY sky? justbeats Amateur Astronomy 4 August 3rd 03 12:08 PM