Curiosity Question about EELV Development Funding

Old September 29th 05, 07:57 AM
Jonathan Goff

Default Curiosity Question about EELV Development Funding

Hey all,
Since I've decided to delurk for awhile, I was wondering if anyone
happened to know off-hand how much of the development for Atlas V and
Delta IV was paid for by the Air Force? AIUI, Boeing and LM were both
required to raise a lot of the money for the development themselves,
and then the Air Force also subsidized part of it. I did a little
cursory googling, but didn't find too much relevant info, so I figured
it was worth asking before sinking a bunch more time into web research.

Thanks,
~Jonathan Goff
Masten Space Systems

Old September 29th 05, 06:05 PM
Henry Spencer

In article .com,
Jonathan Goff wrote:
happened to know off-hand how much of the development for Atlas V and
Delta IV was paid for by the Air Force? AIUI, Boeing and LM were both
required to raise a lot of the money for the development themselves,
and then the Air Force also subsidized part of it...

A reasonable rough guess is "about half". The USAF originally intended to
pretty much completely fund development of one of them... and then the
money budgeted for that got split over two of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if development cost a bit more than expected and
the USAF got a bit less money than expected, but then, the Light versions
got dropped and so did Atlas V Heavy, and I think the Vandenberg Atlas V
pad got some separate funding, all of which should have reduced costs. So
half is probably still a reasonable guess.
Old September 30th 05, 12:34 PM
Kim Keller

"Jonathan Goff" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey all,
Since I've decided to delurk for awhile, I was wondering if anyone
happened to know off-hand how much of the development for Atlas V and
Delta IV was paid for by the Air Force? AIUI, Boeing and LM were both
required to raise a lot of the money for the development themselves,
and then the Air Force also subsidized part of it. I did a little
cursory googling, but didn't find too much relevant info, so I figured
it was worth asking before sinking a bunch more time into web research.

DOD paid LM and Boeing $500M each for development. The rest of the funding
was company-internal in both cases. That situation changed, however, in the
last two years, with DOD now subsidizing each company's EELV operations.