Design advantages of Doublet vs Triplet?

Old November 23rd 04, 01:46 PM
Tom T.

Default Design advantages of Doublet vs Triplet?

Would anyone care to comment on the specific design advantages of a
triplet over a doublet or vice versa?

I have a few suspicions, but it would be nice to see them confirmed
(or not).

Thanks

Tom T.
Old November 23rd 04, 03:59 PM
Chris1011

Would anyone care to comment on the specific design advantages of a
triplet over a doublet or vice versa

You can answer that yourself by joining the new ATMOS lens design group on
Yahoo.

Roland Christen
Old November 23rd 04, 05:59 PM
Tom T.

(Chris1011) wrote in message ...
Would anyone care to comment on the specific design advantages of a
triplet over a doublet or vice versa

You can answer that yourself by joining the new ATMOS lens design group on
Yahoo.

Roland Christen

I joined - there's - err - rather little traffic at the moment.

I take it you feel there are no clear cut quick answers to my question
and it will take a certain amount of learning and design before I
understand the differences, and this is something one has to do
themselves?

As much as I do enjoy learning things through and through, and will
agree there's nothing like discovering for yourself - if you (or
anyone else) would care to summarize (in laymans terms) I'd appreciate
it.
Old November 23rd 04, 06:18 PM
Chris1011

I joined - there's - err - rather little traffic at the moment.

You can generate some traffic if you ask your question there. I'm sure it would
be an interesting excercise for people on that group (and yourself if you care
to do some design).

Rolando
Old November 23rd 04, 07:27 PM
CLT

"Chris1011" wrote in message
I joined - there's - err - rather little traffic at the moment.

You can generate some traffic if you ask your question there. I'm sure it

would
be an interesting excercise for people on that group (and yourself if you

care
to do some design).

Go ahead Tom, ask! The water's fine so dive in.

The reason there is little traffic is the group is barely 24 hours old.
Yours will be the first question and a fun one for the group.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

Are you interested in optics?

************************************

Rolando

Old November 25th 04, 02:35 AM
Tom T.

"CLT" not@thisaddress wrote in message ...
"Chris1011" wrote in message
I joined - there's - err - rather little traffic at the moment.

You can generate some traffic if you ask your question there. I'm sure it

would
be an interesting excercise for people on that group (and yourself if you

care
to do some design).

Go ahead Tom, ask! The water's fine so dive in.

The reason there is little traffic is the group is barely 24 hours old.
Yours will be the first question and a fun one for the group.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

Are you interested in optics?

************************************

Rolando

Been there, asked, and am listening to the sound of crickets.... g

Tom T.
Old November 30th 04, 01:47 PM
Tom T.

Tom T. wrote in message news:1101808348.2g4mXXTBaGGjftrue4FRSA@teranews. ..
I've asked.

Sorry about the multiple posts.

Old December 1st 04, 12:54 AM
Ed T

"Tom T." wrote in message

Would anyone care to comment on the specific design advantages of a
triplet over a doublet or vice versa?

I have a few suspicions, but it would be nice to see them confirmed
(or not).

Tom, its my understanding that the primary benefit of a triplet object over
a doublet is the added color correction that is possible with three lenses.

Roland C. has posted elsewhe

"To clarify the situation on color correction a bit more for those who'se
eyelids have not already closed and are nodding away from all this technical
mumbo-jumbo, I will attempt to explain where achros, EDs, fluorites etc fit
into the scheme of things by comparing the ability of each design to produce
a reasonably focused image spot diameter over its wavelength range.
Reasonably focused being somewhere around 25 microns. Fast 6"F8 Cde
achromat: 550 - 650 nmLong 6"F15 CeF achomat: 480 -650 nmFast 6"F9 ED
doublet: 450 - 650 nmFast 6" fluorite doublet: 420 - 1000 nm Fast 6"
FPL52/53 triplet: 380 - 1000 nm Fast 6" fluorite triplet: 360 - 1000 nm"