Electricity In Space? Score - Mainstream: 0, New Astrophysics: 1

Old September 7th 04, 06:24 AM
Mad Scientist

Default Electricity In Space? Score - Mainstream: 0, New Astrophysics: 1

Aug 03, 2004
Charge Separation in Space

One of the basic assumptions of astrophysics today is that
electrical forces play no part in cosmology. Standard phrases show up in
astronomical lectures and debates, from elementary documentaries to the
most advanced texts: "You can't get charge separation in space;" "The
solar wind consists of ions [protons] flowing from the sun (with enough
electrons to ensure neutrality" "... with the need for electrical
neutrality paramount ...;" "The necessity for electrical neutrality then
forces the details of the decays to be ...;" or even "Of course there's
electricity in space, but it doesn't DO anything."
The above spectrum was obtained by the Chandra orbiting x-ray camera
in December of 1999. The subject is a tiny point-source of x-rays (a
small, coherent cloud or the top of a coherent stream) embedded in the
nucleus of an active spiral galaxy named NGC 4458 (upper image.)
The elements in the x-ray spectrum are identified by their chemical
symbols: O = oxygen, Mg = magnesium, etc. The roman numerals refer to
the number of electrons that have been stripped from these elements. By
consulting a periodic table of elements, you can calculate how many
electrons are left. In this very active region of space, we see:

Mg XII -- Magnesium with all 12 of its electrons missing
Ne X -- Neon with all 10 electrons missing
Ne IX -- Neon with all but 1 electron missing
O VIII -- Oxygen with all 8 of its electrons missing
O VII -- Oxygen with all but 1 electron missing
N VII -- Nitrogen with all 7 of its electrons missing
C VI -- Carbon with all 6 of its electrons missing

Among the common arguments against charge separation in space is the
calculation that it would take more energy than there is in the universe
just to separate all the electrons from the atoms in a single teaspoon
of salt. From an Electric Universe point of view, this is begging the
question. We aren't starting with a teaspoon of salt and trying to turn
it into a plasma universe; we are starting with a plasma universe in
which charges are already separated. So we need to consider theories
that don't begin with the assumption that you can't get charge
separation in space. We don't need theories that explain how imaginary
objects like black holes can separate charges; we need theories that
explain how charges combine to produce what we see.

--
Usenet is filled with abusive and obsessive-compulsive-sociopathic personality disorder sufferers who constantly harass and criticise, and which makes the news forums more easily ignored, dismissed and ridiculed.

Old September 7th 04, 02:38 PM
Paul Lawler

Mad Scientist wrote in news:dCb%c.241217$UTP.103231
@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Aug 03, 2004
Charge Separation in Space

*yawn*