Nova (PBS) Tuesday - EXCELLENT Program

Old January 5th 04, 12:49 PM

Default Nova (PBS) Tuesday - EXCELLENT Program

In article 7XdKb.740369$HS4.5670619@attbi_s01,
"Robert J. Kolker" wrote:

lcopps wrote:

I suppose you think paying people not to work, farmers not to grow

crops, or other pork spending to allow politicians to buy votes is a
better investment.

No. I think it is redistribution and theft and if anything it is worse
than the money we **** away space projects that do not have any
commercial use.

Once upon a time, I took a psych class. One of the ladies in
that class made the statement that she didn't see any reason
to spend any more money on space exploration because there
wasn't anything more to learn (humans already knew it all).
This was before cell phones, PeeCees, DVDs, video games
on systems one person could buy, broadband, cable TV to
the masses, more than 3 TV networks, CDs, web sites,
newsgroups, etc.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Old January 5th 04, 01:19 PM
Jon Isaacs

Wouldn't it be nice if our space effort actually paid for itself?

Most likely it will. Of course it is also likely that you and I will be dead
when that happens.

Fortunately, throughout history there have people and nations willing to
investigate simply because it seemed interesting and because it increased man's
capabilities and knowledge.

We reap the benefit of the work of those who went before us. The march
continues.

Jon Isaacs

Old January 5th 04, 01:39 PM
Robert J. Kolker

Brian Tung wrote:
On the rest of the points, I will simply say: Yes, I would prefer it
that way. You do not. That's fine; we have elections to resolve this
kind of thing.

That is wonderful. That way the 51 percent who are wolves can have the
49 percent who are sheep for dinner.

Bob Kolker

Old January 5th 04, 01:42 PM
Robert J. Kolker

Jim Shaffer, Jr. wrote:

I, for one, am not happy with how they're mis-spending my money in pursuit of
national defense nor domestic order, but I can't do any more about it than you
can do about the Mars missions. At least you could, if you choose, enjoy the
exploration, which is more than I can do with the fascism.

I will enjoy it as much as I enjoy exploding flaming orbiters and Space
Station ISS ******** One. It is the American answer to MIR. In neither
case did the project promote national defense.

Bob Kolker