Black Hole Hunters Set New Distance Record

Old January 28th 10, 06:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Black Hole Hunters Set New Distance Record

Black Hole Hunters Set New Distance Record
ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2010) — Astronomers using ESO's Very Large
Telescope have detected, in another galaxy, a stellar-mass black hole
much farther away than any other previously known. With a mass above
fifteen times that of the Sun, this is also the second most massive
stellar-mass black hole ever found. It is entwined with a star that will
soon become a black hole itself.

See: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0127095920.htm

Old January 28th 10, 07:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
oriel36[_2_]

On Jan 28, 6:19*am, Sam Wormley wrote:
Black Hole Hunters Set New Distance Record
ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2010) — Astronomers using ESO's Very Large
Telescope have detected, in another galaxy, a stellar-mass black hole
much farther away than any other previously known. With a mass above
fifteen times that of the Sun, this is also the second most massive
stellar-mass black hole ever found. It is entwined with a star that will
soon become a black hole itself.

See:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0127095920.htm

'Black hole' and 'big bang' and different sides of the same non-entity
coin,something an animator would reason into existence by using a ' no
center/no circumference' wordplay.Beg the question as to the geometry
of 'black hole' and the recipient will be treated to tortured
response,likewise 'big bang' has all the same traits arising from
people who are insistent on ignoring or simply cannot understand how
the Ra/Dec 'predictive' geometry infected all ahead of it with objects
and even the Universe filtered through one terrible,terrible piece of
reasoning that horrified the older astronomers -

"And wherever anyone would be, he would believe himself to be at the
center.Therefore, merge these different imaginative pictures so that
the center is the zenith and vice versa. Thereupon you will see--
through the intellect..that the world and its motion and shape cannot
be apprehended. For [the world] will appear as a wheel in a wheel and
a sphere in a sphere-- having its center and circumference
nowhere. . . " Nicolas of Cusa 15th century

It may be that I have posted that paragraph from Cusa too many times
to be effective any more but my goodness,to see what contemporaries
celebrate something which should horrify any intelligent person is
quite something else on account of a catastrophic conclusion relating
to planetary dynamics and time.

One question I can beg Sam,with an annual budget of 18 billion
dollars,who in NASA do you call to inform them of the greatest scandal
ever to visit the investigation of terrestrial and celestial
sciences,not the puny arguments for global warming/cooling,but the
assault on the discipline of human achievements,astronomy,the language
of geometry and pretty much everything good about Western civilization
despite its faults. ?.That's right !,when you are part of a scam there
is phone number or person behind a phone with that type of
responsibility.
Old January 31st 10, 01:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Sam Wormley wrote:
Black Hole Hunters Set New Distance Record
ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2010) — Astronomers using ESO's Very Large
Telescope have detected, in another galaxy, a stellar-mass black hole
much farther away than any other previously known. With a mass above
fifteen times that of the Sun, this is also the second most massive
stellar-mass black hole ever found. It is entwined with a star that will
soon become a black hole itself.

See: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0127095920.htm

It's amazing how they are now finding minute details even in other
galaxies, these days.

Yousuf Khan
Old January 31st 10, 07:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
oriel36[_2_]

On Jan 31, 1:43*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Sam Wormley wrote:
Black Hole Hunters Set New Distance Record
ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2010) — Astronomers using ESO's Very Large
Telescope have detected, in another galaxy, a stellar-mass black hole
much farther away than any other previously known. With a mass above
fifteen times that of the Sun, this is also the second most massive
stellar-mass black hole ever found. It is entwined with a star that will
soon become a black hole itself.

See:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0127095920.htm

It's amazing how they are now finding minute details even in other
galaxies, these days.

* * * * Yousuf Khan

If you want to know what has temporarily killed humanity's adventurous
spirit and halted our progress into traveling into space ,you are
looking at it right here,guys at desks dumping junk into the celestial
arena and hoping people will be impressed by the conceptual novelties
does not leave room for the type of intelligence needed to put space
travel in context of an advancement.The President did not kill a
meaningful space travel program,all the defenders of late 17th century
empiricism did,a victim of their own success.

Old January 31st 10, 07:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

oriel36 wrote:
If you want to know what has temporarily killed humanity's adventurous
spirit and halted our progress into traveling into space ,you are
looking at it right here,guys at desks dumping junk into the celestial
arena and hoping people will be impressed by the conceptual novelties
does not leave room for the type of intelligence needed to put space
travel in context of an advancement.The President did not kill a
meaningful space travel program,all the defenders of late 17th century
empiricism did,a victim of their own success.

It's a stretch to link the setback of manned spaceflight to the rise of
telescopes. Manned spaceflight would've never gotten us to these parts
of the universe anyways.

Taking reckless adventures to other planets within the Solar system for
no apparent reason is stupid. We need more concrete plans and better
technology to protect ourselves with before we dare these things.

Yousuf Khan
Old January 31st 10, 07:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
J. Clarke

Yousuf Khan wrote:
oriel36 wrote:
[...]

If Columbus had thought that way then the Aztecs would be invading Europe
about now.

Old January 31st 10, 07:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 1/31/10 1:00 AM, oriel36 wrote:

If you want to know what has temporarily killed humanity's adventurous
spirit and halted our progress into traveling into space ,you are
looking at it right here,guys at desks dumping junk into the celestial
arena and hoping people will be impressed by the conceptual novelties
does not leave room for the type of intelligence needed to put space
travel in context of an advancement.The President did not kill a
meaningful space travel program,all the defenders of late 17th century
empiricism did,a victim of their own success.

Gerald - Astronomers using ESO's Very Large Telescope have detected,
in another galaxy, a stellar-mass black hole much farther away than
any other previously known. With a mass above fifteen times that of
the Sun, this is also the second most massive stellar-mass black hole
ever found. It is entwined with a star that will soon become a black
hole itself.

I think humanity's spirit of adventure, especially in astronomy is
alive and thriving, as evidenced by many new telescopes coming on
line in space and on the ground. But more importantly, the human
need to understand to find other worlds, other life and seek answers
to fundamental questions, such as where we came from, are we alone,
what is our place... is alive with the efforts of thousands of
scientists and astronomers.

Science has a better track record of pursuing answers to those
questions, rather than religions.

Old January 31st 10, 08:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
oriel36[_2_]

On Jan 31, 8:15*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
oriel36 wrote:
If you want to know what has temporarily killed humanity's adventurous
spirit and halted our progress into traveling into space ,you are
looking at it right here,guys at desks dumping junk into the celestial
arena and hoping people will be impressed by the conceptual novelties
does not leave room for the type of intelligence needed to put space
travel in context of an advancement.The President did not kill a
meaningful space travel program,all the defenders of late 17th century
empiricism did,a victim of their own success.

It's a stretch to link the setback of manned spaceflight to the rise of
telescopes. Manned spaceflight would've never gotten us to these parts
of the universe anyways.

Empiricism has nothing to do with telescopes,it is an approach to
astronomy which attempts to bypass interpretation and go straight from
observations into predictions/modelling and it begins and ends with
Newton's original distortions of astronomical methods and
insights.Empiricists are themselves lost in the elaborate scheme and I
have done my level best to demonstrate the futile attempts of many men
to make sense of what Newton was trying to do even when these same
people are completely hostile to the explanation.

Take any garden variety comment on the core issue,at least the
astronomical side -

"Newton believed that inertia is an innate property of matter
manifesting itself whenever matter accelerates (this includes
rotation) relative to absolute space. You could think of the space in
the vicinity of the accelerating body as somehow reacting to its
motion to produce inertial forces. Newton never explained how, but
took it to be a law of nature."

http://www.padrak.com/ine/INERTIA.html

Newton's absolute and relative space is basically an attempt to create
a dual purpose scenario where there are geocentric observations and
heliocentric solutions,the former made within an Ra/Dec framework and
the latter modeled from a hypothetical observer on the Sun with the
calendar based predictive Ra/Dec convenience acting as a bridge
between the two.All those guys such as Mach talking about "rotation/
acceleration to absolute space" were wasting their time and entirely
lost in the labyrinth Newton created and judging by the reaction of
the recent bunch,guys would not have it any other way,the difference
being the late 19th century guys were painfully aware of something
that was badly restricting them at an experimental level.

I am surprised that no organisation has thought it worthwhile to
examine the foundations of the speculative/predictive agenda even
though I have always left the explanations free and open, beginning
with the original 'proof' for constant diurnal rotation which
Flamsteed applied to the observation of circumpolar rotation of the
constellations.Many jump for the 'sidereal time' conclusion and
immediately lose the ability to sort through all the other issues of
absolute/relative time and space that haunted their empirical
ancestors,literally.

Taking reckless adventures to other planets within the Solar system

for
no apparent reason is stupid. We need more concrete plans and better
technology to protect ourselves with before we dare these things.

* * * * Yousuf Khan

Men have alway sought and will always seek adventure regardless of the
danger,it is what we do best and the sheer impulse which put men on
the moon with some of the technology in its infancy in itself is a
remarkable achievement.Who wants to hear about dark this and dark that
when there is a whole solar system to explore.The empirical
agenda,with all its clever self-serving peer review ends tends to
dilute the ability to reason properly and men resort to making things
'life on Mars' or 'time travel' important when they are mere novelties
out of context with anything worthwhile.The very reason the space
program was killed is that empiricism is a victim of its own success
at the price of the destruction of the great Western astronomical
achievements and the Spirit which once drove men to make great effort
without thought of the rewards or the cost.

Old January 31st 10, 08:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Mike Collins[_3_]

oriel36 wrote:
[...]

It wasn't just the spirit of adventure which got men to the moon.
Newtonian "empirical science" enabled the orbits to be plotted.
Without this empiricism which you deride there would be no space
program, no satellites (in geostationary siderial day orbits) to
observe the earth and relay signals, no satellite navigation (with its
daily corrections for relativity.
The reason for the curtailment of the space programme - it will return
to full speed when the Chinese get close to a moon landing- is that
most Americans, like the British, are too mean and shortsighted to
fund the programme with their taxes.
But if everyone thought like you (luckily only you think like you!) we
wouldn't have the means to go into space. We would be looking at
pretty pictures and be unable to calculate the orbits because we
thought Newton was a cheat.
Old January 31st 10, 10:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
oriel36[_2_]

On Jan 31, 8:42*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:

* *Science has a better track record of pursuing answers to those
* *questions, rather than religions.

This will all have to wait for a few weeks but as a Christian I get a
real kick from that passage from the Book Of Job where he recognizes
that the apparent motion of the constellation reflect only seasonal
changes rather than diurnal circumpolar ones which empiricists work
from -

"Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands
of Orion?
32: Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou
guide Arcturus with his sons?
33: Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the
dominion
thereof in the earth? " The Book Of Job

The great link between astronomy and terrestrial sciences relies on a
clear understanding of planetary dynamics and even the old astronomers
knew ,even in a simple way ( as the Hebrew author relates it in poetic
form) that some men are talented enough to interpret observations
rather than impose monstrous conceptions into the celestial arena as
you and your colleagues do.

Whether 'Mazzaroth' represents a star and or a constellation,there is
something wonderful in realizing that these things have been thought
about for many thousands of years and only this era with its
insistence that there is some dynamical substance to be extracted from
daily circumpolar rotation thereby obscuring the references for the
daily and annual cycles that I see how low we have descended as a
race,at least in these great matters.

The Book Of Job also remarks on the Ostrich,not as a bird that buries
its head in the ground but as something else,much like those who are
into wild speculation and reckless conclusions thereby forgetting
everything else -

"....or wings and feathers unto the ostrich?
14: Which leaveth her eggs in the earth, and warmeth them in dust,
15: And forgetteth that the foot may crush them, or that the wild
beast may break them.
16: She is hardened against her young ones, as though they were not
hers: her labour is in vain without fear;
17: Because God hath deprived her of wisdom, neither hath he imparted
to her understanding. "

http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toc...&division=div1

Science is a facet of my Christian faith,something even denominational
Christianity seems to have forgotten in this dark era.