Cartes du Ciel question

Old January 14th 06, 07:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Cartes du Ciel question

Just downloaded the latest version, but I've found that I've lost planetary
features. Was there something I missed?

Thank you,
Beryl

Old January 14th 06, 07:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Beryl Gormley" wrote in message
ink.net...

Just downloaded the latest version, but I've found that I've lost

planetary
features. Was there something I missed?

I haven't downloaded the latest version of CDC, but this happened to me with
CDC when I tried to put SP2 on my Windows XP. Celestia also lost planetary
features. I know Celestia uses OpenGL, so I suspect it might be related to
OpenGL.

Thank you,
Beryl

--
Ioannis --- http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/

Old January 14th 06, 07:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Beryl Gormley wrote:
Just downloaded the latest version, but I've found that I've lost planetary
features. Was there something I missed?

Thank you,
Beryl

Hi:

Which latest version did you download? If v3 (alpha), the planetary
features--realistic planetary surfaces, that is, have not yet been
implemented.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
and _The Urban Astronomer's Guide_

Like SCTs and MCTs?
Join the SCT User Mailing List.

See my home page at
http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland/index.htm
for further info

For Uncle Rod's Astro Blog See:
http://journals.aol.com/rmollise/UncleRodsAstroBlog/

Old January 15th 06, 01:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On 14 Jan 2006 11:49:24 -0800, RMOLLISE wrote:

Which latest version did you download? If v3 (alpha), the planetary
features--realistic planetary surfaces, that is, have not yet been
implemented.

Rod,
Did you activate the "realistic image" button in the configuration area of
the "Planets" division of the "Solar System" area of the "Setup" button at
the top of the screen? I did and it seems to work.

--Martin

Old January 15th 06, 05:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 03:27:13 GMT, Beryl Gormley wrote:

That fixed it! Thanks, Beryl

This configuratiion area of the "Setup" button is where most every aspect
of the program is controlled and can be customized. . .catalogs used, star
sizes, shapes, and colors, observatory location, fonts and their sizes, and
etc. With almost ten thousand FITS images of DSO's, and the use of colors,
fonts and such, CdC 3.0 is very beautiful and useful on my pc.

--Martin
Old January 15th 06, 03:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Martin R. Howell wrote:

Rod,
Did you activate the "realistic image" button in the configuration area of
the "Planets" division of the "Solar System" area of the "Setup" button at
the top of the screen? I did and it seems to work.

--Martin

Hi Martin:

I'll try that...I'd thought I'd heard "not yet"...

Old January 15th 06, 05:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

RMOLLISE wrote:

I'll try that...I'd thought I'd heard "not yet"...

Peace,
Rod Mollise

Yea, I just figured that one out also...

I also added Tycho 2 and some other catalogs
and everything is happy here now under Linux
Also changed from photorealistic to standard
and got rid of the bloated looking stars. It
looks really sharp and georgous now. With the
embedded images, it really gets your attention.

Between it, and the full version of XEphem I
am one seriously happy camper !!
(and the sky is crystal clear today !!!!!!!!)

AN

http://sctuser/home.comcast.net

Linux CentOS 4.2, KDE 3.3
Old January 15th 06, 05:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Guys, where are the additonal databases to be found? I heard someone
mention this before and I'd like to try one, but no dice. Have any links
for these databases?

Thanks,
Beryl

"AM" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 15th 06, 05:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Beryl Gormley wrote:
Guys, where are the additonal databases to be found? I heard someone
mention this before and I'd like to try one, but no dice. Have any links
for these databases?

Thanks,
Beryl

At the Download page where ya got the program.
Look for catalogs.

You install them in the cat directory of Cartes Du Ciel.
Or point to the directory where you do have them.

AM