Can the US Handle ..Two.. Hurricane Disasters at the Same Time?

Old September 9th 05, 04:46 AM
jonathan

Default Can the US Handle ..Two.. Hurricane Disasters at the Same Time?

Hurricane...Ophelia.

"OPHELIA IS BETWEEN TWO MID-LEVEL RIDGES"

I'm not that superstitious, but this one gives me the willies.
Ya know, after last year I thought it couldn't get any worse.
No way that season could be beat for the number of storms making
landfall. It didn't occur to me that instead of becoming more
numerous, they would become larger. And the peak of hurricane season
is just about to arrive.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest.../si.kmlb.shtml

As of now Ophelia could sit out there spinning and strengthening
for several days. Anything could happen from nothing to
another disaster. It's quite possible to have another
huge crisis by early next week.

I wonder if Fema has even considered the possibility of
having to run two large operations at the same time?
And it should be remembered that flooding in Georgia
and the Carolinas is a real issue.

Jonathan

"THE BUILDING RIDGE COULD CAUSE A LOOPING MOTION
OFF THE SOUTHEAST U.S. COAST THROUGH 120 HR...OR
EVEN MOVE THE STORM BACK TO THE COAST BEFORE 120 HR"

"THE INTENSITY FORECAST IS PROBLEMATIC."
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/DDHHMM.shtml

NOAA RAISES THE 2005 ATLANTIC HURRICANE SEASON OUTLOOK
Bulk of This Season's Storms Still to Come

Aug. 2, 2005 ? A very active Atlantic hurricane season is underway, and with
more storms projected, NOAA today increased the number of storms in its
2005 hurricane season outlook. NOAA expects an additional 11 to 14 tropical
storms from August through November, with seven to nine becoming
hurricanes, including three to five major hurricanes. In total, this season i
s likely to yield 18 to 21 tropical storms, with nine to 11 becoming
hurricanes, including five to seven major hurricanes.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/s2484.htm

Old September 9th 05, 07:08 AM
Volker Hetzer

jonathan wrote:
I wonder if Fema has even considered the possibility of
having to run two large operations at the same time?

Probably. And the result of that consideration was that
Osama is unable to mess with the wheather yet and that
therefore the risk can be safely ignored.

Greetings!
Volker
Old September 10th 05, 02:49 AM
Alain Fournier

jonathan wrote:

I wonder if Fema has even considered the possibility of
having to run two large operations at the same time?
And it should be remembered that flooding in Georgia
and the Carolinas is a real issue.

The real question isn't whether FEMA can handle two
hurricane disasters at the same time. What you should
be concerned about is whether FEMA can handle one
hurricane disaster at the same time.

Alain Fournier

Old September 10th 05, 04:08 AM
jonathan

"Alain Fournier" wrote in message

jonathan wrote:

I wonder if Fema has even considered the possibility of
having to run two large operations at the same time?
And it should be remembered that flooding in Georgia
and the Carolinas is a real issue.

The real question isn't whether FEMA can handle two
hurricane disasters at the same time. What you should
be concerned about is whether FEMA can handle one
hurricane disaster at the same time.

Yep, that 325 million for those three cruise ships that
....nobody...boarded is looking like a major dump.
They sent em to Texas and not one person wanted
to get on em. The paper today said that's about
30k per person for six months. What do they
have against cash?

Alain Fournier

Old September 10th 05, 01:38 PM
John Savard

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:46:44 -0400, "jonathan"
wrote, in part:

I wonder if Fema has even considered the possibility of
having to run two large operations at the same time?

If a small asteroid happens to hit near Yellowstone Park, I think we
*can* be confident that FEMA will not be able to cope with the resulting
disaster.

The trouble is, of course, that constantly keeping on hand the resources
to deal with that kind of a disaster would cost more than the
disaster...

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old September 10th 05, 03:17 PM
Allen Thomson

jonathan wrote:

I wonder if Fema has even considered the possibility of
having to run two large operations at the same time?

Yes, though the disasters weren't hurricanes and numbered
considerably more than two:

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/napb-90/execsum.html
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/napb-90/index.html

Having considered the possibility, one might wonder how
far FEMA went in preparing to deal with it. Though some
individual states used the disaster scenario developed as
the basis for their own planning:

http://www.tnema.org/Archives/EMHist...DHistory10.htm
http://www.macombcountymi.gov/OEM/pdf/HMP/Chap1_2.pdf

Old September 12th 05, 09:22 AM
Jean-Paul Turcaud

The question to be answered is :
Can Hurricanes be controlled ?
... and the answer is yes !

--
Sir Jean-Paul Turcaud
Shadow Ambassador of Australia in France

Australia Mining Pioneer
Exploration Geologist
Discoverer and Legal Owner of Telfer, Nifty & Kintyre Mines
The Great Sandy Desert of Australia

Founder of the True Geology

* The "Golden Rule" or true story of the Discovery of the Telfer Mine
Author Bob Sheppard President of the APLA (Australian Prospectors' Union)
http://www.tnet.com.au/~warrigal/grule.html ,

* As well as Dr Don Findlay's Geological Site
http://users.indigo.net.au/don/tel/index.html

~~ Ignorance Is The Cosmic Sin, The One Never Forgiven ! ~~

Old September 12th 05, 05:23 PM

What you should be concerned about is whether FEMA can handle one hurricane disaster at the same time.

Answer: yes. Faster response this time than for previous, less-damaging
hurricanes.

The real question is: can France handle a minor heat wave again?