Chinese grease, WOW!

Old May 1st 04, 11:50 PM
Szaki

Default Chinese grease, WOW!

I have an Apogee 100x25 binocular, bought it over a year ago, very first
batch they were selling, I think. It has independent focusing on each
eyepieces, that's been kind of tight. With time, it got worst. Finally,
yesterday jumped on it to fix it.

After 15 minutes figuring out, how it comes apart, was able to take the
eyepieces out. WOW, talking about sticky blob of Chinese grease all over.
Hope it don't get on the lenses, than I'm screwed.

After careful cleaning, showed a very nicely machined aluminum eyepieces and
mating holder, black anodized, instead of plastic, normally used on bargain
binoculars. Than, why they use this sticky grease stuff? Communist
bureaucracy? Mao approved this grease, now it has to be used in everything
Chinese made, from airplanes to fine watches?

Back! Found the problem, why the bino was tight. Two ruber O-ring (keep
moister out?) was bad, one was broken, the other was pinched, looks like
Mfg, installation error. Took them out, now it's very smooth, easy to adjust
both eyepieces.

Otherwise this 100x25 bino gives exelent views on DSO's, Took it up to the
Sierras last summer and it gave a lot better, brighter views than my TV
Pronto. Was fun just sitting in a chair at the Lake side, and bagging DSO's
one after the other, easy to find with 3 deg field. Even M101/102 or the
Owl/M108 in one field showd very nice.

Julius

Old May 2nd 04, 12:55 AM
Davoud

Szaki:
Than, why they use this sticky grease stuff? Communist
bureaucracy? Mao approved this grease, now it has to be used in everything
Chinese made, from airplanes to fine watches?

Yep. And their airplanes crash more often than they should, and they
don't make fine watches.*

This is apparently the same grease they use on heavy machine tools as
well. It's the Peoples' Grease.

Davoud

*Some years ago, when I was living in S.E. Asia, a friend went to Hong
Kong and bought a Chinese-made "Rolex." He was showing it off when he
returned. He handed it to me, and said "Look, you can't tell the
difference," to which I replied "I don't know, as I've never owned a
Rolex, but I'd venture a guess that the watch-band retaining pins on
Swiss Rolexes aren't made of rusty nails."

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old May 2nd 04, 01:53 PM
HAVRILIAK

Yep. And their airplanes crash more often than they should, and they
don't make fine watches.*

The problem with this view is illustrated by the following story. Back in the
'50s Nikons and Cannons were considered junk while the Kodact Retina, the
German Licas and the Speed Graphics were considered the cats Meowww. Single
lens reflex was considered a gimmick and inferior to range finder cameras.
Tell me, where are the Retinas or Licas or the Speed Graphic cameras now.
My question is: "Where will the Chinese scopes be in 10, 20 years?"
Old May 2nd 04, 02:27 PM
RECFLY1

The thread was going along as:
Szaki:
Than, why they use this sticky grease stuff? Communist
bureaucracy? Mao approved this grease, now it has to be used in everything
Chinese made, from airplanes to fine watches?

Davoud:
Yep. And their airplanes crash more often than they should, and they
don't make fine watches.*

This is apparently the same grease they use on heavy machine tools as
well. It's the Peoples' Grease.
Ahh.... Soylent Greese!

Roland C in So Fla
Old May 2nd 04, 03:14 PM
Davoud

Davoud:
Yep. And their airplanes crash more often than they should, and they
don't make fine watches.*

HAVRILIAK:
The problem with this view is illustrated by the following story. Back in the
'50s Nikons and Cannons were considered junk while the Kodact Retina, the
German Licas and the Speed Graphics were considered the cats Meowww...

I'm going to assume that someone who can't spell Leica (not to mention
Canon and Kocak) knows little or nothing about Leica cameras, or,
perhaps, cameras in general. Leicas are still regarded as being among
the finest cameras made, and the older ones are valuable collectors'
items.

As for the Retina, please remember that Kodak never had an interest in
building cameras beyond the promotion of film sales. When 35mm film
cameras began to proliferate and sales of 35mm film skyrocketed, it was
no longer necessary for Kodak to invest in the development of advanced
cameras. The Speed Graphic was a high quality camera that became
obsolete because of improvements in 35mm film that made 35mm negatives
and transparencies suitable for use in magazines and newspapers.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old May 2nd 04, 04:19 PM
Howard Lester

"Davoud" wrote

I'm going to assume that someone who can't spell Leica (not to mention
Canon and Kocak)

I think you meant that bald guy "Kojak."

Old May 2nd 04, 04:48 PM
Davoud

Davoud:
I'm going to assume that someone who can't spell Leica (not to mention
Canon and Kocak)

Howard Lester:
I think you meant that bald guy "Kojak."

Touché! Lovely! Beautiful riposte, and I earned it.

In the spirit of fairness, however, I'm sure that we recognize the
difference between ignorance and typographical errors.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old May 2nd 04, 09:01 PM
Darin Boville

Davoud wrote in message ...
Davoud:
[...]

Yes, for what it I worth, Retina's were (are?) good cameras with good,
Schneider (German) lenses. I own a Crown Graphic (similar to a Speed
Graphic) and still use it now and then, and have just bought a Toyo
field camera which is based upon the Graphic design. Leica, of course,
is still a well known name and respected brand (though I'm a Contax
man myself).

Of course the Chinese will eventually produce high quality stuff. Lots
and lots of manufacturing is moving there and all that experience will
add up to something in the future--just like in Japan. But until then,
what' with the grease?

--Darin

Darin Boville
Fine Art Photography and Video
www.darinboville.com
Old May 2nd 04, 09:23 PM
Jon Isaacs

I'm going to assume that someone who can't spell Leica (not to mention
Canon and Kocak) knows little or nothing about Leica cameras, or,
perhaps, cameras in general. Leicas are still regarded as being among
the finest cameras made, and the older ones are valuable collectors'
items.

Closer to home, Leica makes some pretty fine binoculars, spotting scopes and
eyepieces as well...

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp...272&purch=1&mf
g38=1&submitter=Search

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp...76&purch=1&mfg
38=1&submitter=Search

Still not cheap.... or inexpensive....

jon

Old May 3rd 04, 12:21 AM
Howard Lester

"Davoud" wrote

In the spirit of fairness, however, I'm sure that we recognize the
difference between ignorance and typographical errors.

Indeed we do.

Chinese spacecraft RDG History 83 November 1st 03 08:46 PM
JimO: "Chinese space advances benefit everyone" James Oberg Policy 56 October 24th 03 12:45 AM
JimO: "Chinese space advances benefit everyone" James Oberg Space Station 56 October 22nd 03 09:52 PM
Chinese Space Program and Muslim World James Oberg Space Shuttle 47 October 22nd 03 08:17 PM
Chinese Space Program and Muslim World James Oberg Policy 95 October 18th 03 05:16 PM