Communicate with aliens?

Old July 3rd 09, 04:16 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default Communicate with aliens?

"Damon Hill" wrote in message
Hipupchuck wrote in
:

We can't even communicate with dolphins or whales. We can't even
communicate with other humans. How would we ever be able to communicate
with aliens?

But a genuinely alien species is likely to be a difficult challenge.
We'd better hope they will want to communicate with us as well.

It might be. I think the current theory of starting with Math and building
from there as a language may work.

An alien species capable of communicating with us (via radio or getting here
in person) has almost certainly mastered math and physics. From there we
can build a fairly healthy start to a language. We may never get to
concepts like 'love' but who knows.

--Damon

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old July 3rd 09, 05:08 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Marvin the Martian

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:16:26 -0400, Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) wrote:

"Damon Hill" wrote in message
Hipupchuck wrote in
:

We can't even communicate with dolphins or whales. We can't even
communicate with other humans. How would we ever be able to
communicate with aliens?

But a genuinely alien species is likely to be a difficult challenge.
We'd better hope they will want to communicate with us as well.

It might be. I think the current theory of starting with Math and
building from there as a language may work.

An alien species capable of communicating with us (via radio or getting
here in person) has almost certainly mastered math and physics. From
there we can build a fairly healthy start to a language. We may never
get to concepts like 'love' but who knows.

Most Aliens speak Western Hemisphere Spanish, but many don't speak it
very well.

Just sit them in front of a computer with the English version of Rosetta
Stone, and they will pick it up quickly.