Proper principles.

Old March 5th 05, 02:34 PM

Default Proper principles.

Who wrote this precious commentary -

".... although they have extracted from them the apparent motions, with
numerical agreement, nevertheless . . . . They are just like someone
including in a picture hands, feet, head, and other limbs from
different places, well painted indeed, but not modeled from the same
body, and not in the least matching each other, so that a monster would
be produced from them rather than a man. Thus in the process of their
demonstrations, which they call their system, they are found either to
have missed out something essential, or to have brought in something
inappropriate and wholly irrelevant, which would not have happened to
them if they had followed proper principles. For if the hypotheses
which they assumed had not been fallacies, everything which follows
from them could be independently verified."

Old March 6th 05, 04:36 PM

[...]

Copernicus - De Revolutionibus 1543

http://vms.cc.wmich.edu/~mcgrew/chain.htm

Instead of being excited for the astronomical relevence of the upcoming
Equinox for the first time in history you call me troll and refuse to
see that this insight is an astronomical extension of Copernicus and
Kepler while your cataloguing tradition owes its inferior nature to
Flamsteed and Maskelyne.Even I allow that the search for terrestial
longitudes from celestial references was a noble pursuit but not at the
cost of fudging exquisite astronomical principles.

The error was made by English cataloguers is attributing an
'isochronical proof' to the revolution of the Earth through 360 degrees
and it is only fitting that contemporaries from your nation should
correct the error with transparency and common sense,it is the least
you can do.

Along with common sense there is also common decency and particularly
where educating children is concerned,currently you are filling them
full of lies in order to demonstrate that Newton inherited the
astronomical heritage from Kepler when the damage that man wrought is
incredible to the eyes of an astronomer.

As a Christian I inherit the great 'Behold' from Copernicus just as
astronomers of his time did but then again this is just another facet
of my faith.

"I sincerely cherish Ptolemy and his followers equally with my teacher,
since I have ever in mind and memory that sacred precept of Aristotle:
"We must esteem both parties but follow the more accurate." And yet
somehow I feel more inclined to the hypotheses of my teacher. This is
so perhaps partly because I am persuaded that now at last I have a more
accurate understanding of the delightful maxim which on account of its
weightiness and truth is attributed to Plato: "God ever geometrizes";
but partly because in my teacher's revival of astronomy I see, as the
saying is, with both eyes and as though a fog had lifted and the sky
were now clear, the force of that wise statement of Socrates in the
Phaedrus: "If I think any other man is able to see things that can
naturally be collected into one and divided into many, him I follow
after and 'walk in his footsteps as if he were a god.'" 1540, Narratio
Prima

Rheticus

Cataloguers live in an empirical fog,come dawn at the Equinox as the
Earth rotates out of its orbital shadow they stand a chance to become
astronomers for the first time.