Torre Bert station - zeus network (Italy 1960-65) ?

Old February 29th 04, 09:58 PM
Thierry

Default Torre Bert station - zeus network (Italy 1960-65) ?

Hi,

I am achieving a big file about the history of ham radio.
I would like to know if someone could provide me any information, recording
or picture about the "Torre Bert" station and "Zeus" space tracking network
that was setup between 1960-1965 in Italy ?
All info is welcome using the form available on my website.

Thanks in advance

73
Thierry, ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry

Here is a short information extracted from my website (info not published
yet).

Torre Bert and the Zeus network

In Italy for example, by the end of 1960, two young Turino brothers fan of
ham radio, Achille and Gian Battista Judica-Cordiglia setup the first
amateur tracking station "Torre Bert". Their golad was to picked up the
first telemetry signals and other downlinks messages from the first
satellites launched by Russia then by NASA. A first in all fields !

While Jodrell Bank had invested 1.6 million sterling pounds to track
satellites, that USAF spent 15 millions dollars at Tyngsboro, MA, and that a
Turino industrial built a parabolic dish at 2 millions lira, our two young
amateurs had only 18,000 lira. So the only solution was to build themselves
the equipment. With an extraordinary ingenuity they achieved their objective
in a couple of years and were able to track any satellite passing nearby. In
1965 they created the Zeus network that counted 17 stations spread over the
world. Their installation was so sophisticated that there were able to
forecast 12 hours ahead that Lunik IV launched by Russian to the Moon should
miss its target from 8000 km. In fact it flew 8497 km from the Moon.

During its short existence, Torre Bert recorded some sensational messages
from space. On November 28, 1960 for example they picked up this enigmatic
message : "SOS TO ALL WORLD". The message was transmitted from a spacecraft
in movement and was sent three times. Amateurs in Germany and Texas received
the same message. Three days later, Russian recognized that one of their
launches failed, but they didn't make allusion to a human passenger. A
similar recording was picked up on May 17, 1961 coming from a crew of
several cosmonauts. Nobody will never know what happened as long as Russian
will not decide to speak. A third message was recorded on February 1961.
Presented to the famous hearth surgeon Dr Dogliotti, he affirmed that we
heard the fast beating of a dying hearth. The brothers were convinced that
Russian didn't shrink from sacrifying human lifes to affirm their mastering
of space.

In 1964, after have won 1,8 millions lira at a TV-game dealing with the
space conquest, our young Turino visited the USA and the various space
centers of Alabama, Florida, Maryland and Texas, where they did the
admiration of American engineers by the extent of their know-how. Slowly
hams were preparing their entry in the world of space communication.

Thierry, ON4SKY

Old February 29th 04, 10:11 PM
OM

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:58:23 +0100, "Thierry" To answer me in private
use http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote:

73
Thierry, ON4SKY

....Man, that callsign is just too scarily coincedental for my tastes
:-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old February 29th 04, 10:13 PM
OM

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:58:23 +0100, "Thierry" To answer me in private
use http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote:

During its short existence, Torre Bert recorded some sensational messages
from space. On November 28, 1960 for example they picked up this enigmatic
message : "SOS TO ALL WORLD".

....Well, if there wasn't a justification for a ban on cloning, this
has to be it. Geo, anything you want to tell us about your "kid" here?

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 1st 04, 12:30 AM
Thierry

OK, I found the info here http://www.lostcosmonauts.com/
It is not impartial but some links are.

Thierry

Old March 1st 04, 01:41 AM
OM

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 00:30:14 +0100, "Thierry" To answer me in private
use http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote:

OK, I found the info here http://www.lostcosmonauts.com/

....Anyone who didn't see this one coming deserves to be bitchslapped
:-P

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 1st 04, 09:12 AM
Pat Flannery

Thierry wrote:

OK, I found the info here http://www.lostcosmonauts.com/
It is not impartial but some links are.

Thierry

You may want to read this also: http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/
.....and more specifically, this part of Sven's site:
http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/trackind/Torre/TorreB.html

Pat

Old March 1st 04, 09:15 AM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Anyone who didn't see this one coming deserves to be bitchslapped

And then wrapped in the Holy Shroud Of Turin, with a bronze I Ching coin
over each eye.

Pat

Old March 1st 04, 12:00 PM
John Beaderstadt

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:41:53 -0600, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 00:30:14 +0100, "Thierry" To answer me in private
use http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote:

OK, I found the info here http://www.lostcosmonauts.com/

...Anyone who didn't see this one coming deserves to be bitchslapped

Jeez. How long are we going to have to keep going over the same
ground? This quote from the site: "There is still no rational
explanation, nearly ten years after the fall of the communist regimes
of eastern Europe, for the permanence of a curtain of silence over the
loss of a number of soviet cosmonauts, at the beginning of the space
program."

Yes there is a rational explanation: it never happened. Read my sig.

Old March 1st 04, 02:41 PM
Martin Postranecky

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, it was written :
-------------------------------------
I am achieving a big file about the history of ham radio.
I would like to know if someone could provide me any information, recording
or picture about the "Torre Bert" station and "Zeus" space tracking network
that was setup between 1960-1965 in Italy ?
All info is welcome using the form available on my website.

You want to read the Sven Grahn site, see :
http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/trackind/...n1.htm#Various

Also, James Oberg may have something relevant to say, see :

http://www.jamesoberg.com/index.html
http://www.jamesoberg.com/usd10.html

and especially

http://www.astronautix.com/articles/phapart1.htm
http://www.astronautix.com/articles/phapart2.htm

Good luck !

Cheers,
Martin

Old March 1st 04, 03:55 PM
Thierry

Indeed. I knew this info.
Lostcosmonaut if far to be impartial and objective about the recordings....
In the meantime I had the brothers website url too :
http://www.judicacordiglia.com/
I also learnt that they were preparing the publication of a book dealing
with Torre Bert, not yet released.
I tried to contact them, no answer up to know.

Thanks.
Thierry, ON4SKY