3 Brane universe

Old August 22nd 18, 02:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default 3 Brane universe

Anyone familiar with this? A 3 Brane is a 3 dimensional string (string theory). The idea is that our universe is a 3 B
Old August 22nd 18, 02:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Tuesday, 21 August 2018 21:10:06 UTC-4, RichA wrote:
Anyone familiar with this? A 3 Brane is a 3 dimensional string (string theory) as a universe, surrounded by a 5th dimensional void. The idea is that our universe is a 3 Brane universe is supposedly a rectangle. So, if the universe began as a "Big Bang" and expanded spherically, how could a 3 Brane universe be a rectangle?

Secondarily, there is a theory that other universes could be similar 3 Branes, separated from ours by only a couple mm from ours yet we can't see them..
Old August 22nd 18, 07:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 03:13:14 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 August 2018 21:10:06 UTC-4, RichA wrote:
Anyone familiar with this?

A 3 Brane is a 3 dimensional string (string theory) as a universe, surrounded by a 5th dimensional void. The idea is that our universe is a 3 Brane universe is supposedly a rectangle. So, if the universe began as a "Big Bang" and expanded spherically, how could a 3 Brane universe be a rectangle?
Secondarily, there is a theory that other universes could be similar 3 Branes, separated from ours by only a couple mm from ours yet we can't see them.

Dark matter is just leakage across the boundaries of countless, tightly nested universes.

1313½ will do the maths. It's a no-Braner. :-/
Old August 22nd 18, 12:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 12:07:02 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Dark matter is just leakage across the boundaries of countless,
tightly nested universes.

I consider that a distinct possibility. And that would make the
search for dark matter a really, really frustrating task.
Old August 23rd 18, 12:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 07:40:34 UTC-4, Gary Harnagel wrote:
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 12:07:02 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Dark matter is just leakage across the boundaries of countless,
tightly nested universes.

I consider that a distinct possibility. And that would make the
search for dark matter a really, really frustrating task.

Dark matter is great. Can't be seen, doesn't interact with anything, the only evidence that it's there is gravimetric. If the stuff has any appreciable density anywhere and yet still can't be seen, even as a veil over something else, then it's actually invisible.
Old August 23rd 18, 06:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Thursday, 23 August 2018 01:10:34 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 07:40:34 UTC-4, Gary Harnagel wrote:
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 12:07:02 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Dark matter is just leakage across the boundaries of countless,
tightly nested universes.

I consider that a distinct possibility. And that would make the
search for dark matter a really, really frustrating task.

Dark matter is great. Can't be seen, doesn't interact with anything, the only evidence that it's there is gravimetric. If the stuff has any appreciable density anywhere and yet still can't be seen, even as a veil over something else, then it's actually invisible.

The cloaking devices of the vast, alien fleet heading this way?
Does Dark Matter show a red shift or a blue shift? Perhaps we should be told? ;-)
Old August 23rd 18, 12:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 11:52:15 PM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

On Thursday, 23 August 2018 01:10:34 UTC+2, RichA wrote:

On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 07:40:34 UTC-4, Gary Harnagel wrote:

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 12:07:02 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Dark matter is just leakage across the boundaries of
countless, tightly nested universes.

I consider that a distinct possibility. And that would make the
search for dark matter a really, really frustrating task.

Dark matter is great. Can't be seen, doesn't interact with
anything, the only evidence that it's there is gravimetric.

Maybe we just haven't found the interaction yet, or maybe we have
and don't recognize it.

If the stuff has any appreciable density anywhere and yet still
can't be seen, even as a veil over something else, then it's
actually invisible.

The cloaking devices of the vast, alien fleet heading this way?

If they're limited by the speed of light, it's going to take a
LONG time to get here. But if they're not ...

Does Dark Matter show a red shift or a blue shift? Perhaps we
should be told? ;-)

What is the Doppler shift of FTL ships? Oh, wait, they'll be here
before we see them coming :-)

I remember a movie, Joe Kidd, I believe, where this man grabbed
his chest and fell out of his saddle. THEN the sound of the
shot came. It was most disconcerting.
Old August 24th 18, 03:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Thursday, 23 August 2018 01:52:15 UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Thursday, 23 August 2018 01:10:34 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 07:40:34 UTC-4, Gary Harnagel wrote:
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 12:07:02 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Dark matter is just leakage across the boundaries of countless,
tightly nested universes.

I consider that a distinct possibility. And that would make the
search for dark matter a really, really frustrating task.

Dark matter is great. Can't be seen, doesn't interact with anything, the only evidence that it's there is gravimetric. If the stuff has any appreciable density anywhere and yet still can't be seen, even as a veil over something else, then it's actually invisible.

The cloaking devices of the vast, alien fleet heading this way?
Does Dark Matter show a red shift or a blue shift? Perhaps we should be told? ;-)

Anyone can travel between stars won't need a cloaking device against us.
Old August 24th 18, 07:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 24 August 2018 04:28:03 UTC+2, RichA wrote:

Anyone can travel between stars won't need a cloaking device against us.

If anyone could travel at the speed of light they would neither want to nor need to.
Why would they bother? To go on an exotic holiday? To conquer a few more planets?
Suppress a few more billions to their [human] way of thinking?

Yawn.

Nothing is _that_ exotic when you've already seen everything there is to see.
A wet planet packed with backward worker ants all pretending to be a higher species?

Yawn.

"Conquering the galaxy" is a very human viewpoint.
Nobody else is that daft. Nor that sociopathically aggressive.
Nor that badly organized regarding its population control.

Of all the hurdles facing every technological species then finding room for them all is completely arse backwards.
That doesn't even get us past the first robot hurdle or AI.
Our cough leaders are always the greatest hurdle to human survival.
How we choose leaders and monitor their performance needs a complete sea change.
We might as well let AI do all the heavy lifting.
How could it [AI] _possibly_ be any worse than the corrupt swill bucket we have now?
Self praise is no recommendation.
Say mo more!
Old August 24th 18, 08:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 12:35:11 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

"Conquering the galaxy" is a very human viewpoint.
Nobody else is that daft. Nor that sociopathically aggressive.
Nor that badly organized regarding its population control.

It certainly is true that some humans, like Arthur C. Clarke, have pretty much
seen that we ourselves will realize that "conquering the galaxy" is daft long
before we're in a position to take a stab at it.

So you're likely to be right, even though you do not have direct observational
knowledge of what the other clever beings in our galaxy are like.

I would be afraid of an alien species that did not have its own John W. Campbell
to arrange for the publication of countless science fiction stories explaining
just how likely it is that an intelligent, even if technically inferior, species
would find ways to defend its freedom against attack. Aliens who had never
experienced anything like the Vietnam War just might think they could get away
with conquering the Earth, should they feel a reason to do so.

And of course the notion of the first alien species to achieve interstellar
flight wiping out every other nascent civilization in the Universe, as a
precautionary measure against them developing technology and being warlike... is
not an utterly implausible solution to the Fermi Paradox. Where are they?
There's only one they, and they haven't got around to exterminating us... just
yet.

An alien race *could* be paranoid.

John Savard