Cocoa Beach

Old June 27th 05, 12:51 AM

Default Cocoa Beach

I'm finally getting to Cocoa Beach and I'll be there for RTF. Looks
like I'm consigned to viewing the launch from Titusville though as I
couldn't get any passes for KSC. Anyway, I'm asking the group if any
knows any good space book store / hobby shop / junk shop in the area.
I'm assuming that the KSC visitor center will be pretty good but I'm
looking for something a little less sanitized and I don't want to wade
my way through freeze dried ice cream to get to the good stuff. I plan
on taking the KSC Then and Now tour, but are there any other
interesting sights to see in the area? Any good NASA hangouts?

Thanks Gang,

Gene DiGennaro
Baltimore, Md.

Old June 27th 05, 07:53 AM
Jeff Clark

wrote in news:1119829911.977323.127290
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
I'm finally getting to Cocoa Beach and I'll be there for RTF. Looks
like I'm consigned to viewing the launch from Titusville though as I
couldn't get any passes for KSC. Anyway, I'm asking the group if any
knows any good space book store / hobby shop / junk shop in the area.
I'm assuming that the KSC visitor center will be pretty good but I'm
looking for something a little less sanitized and I don't want to wade
my way through freeze dried ice cream to get to the good stuff. I plan
on taking the KSC Then and Now tour, but are there any other
interesting sights to see in the area? Any good NASA hangouts?

For space-related places & stores try
Astronaut Space Walk Hall of Fame, Searstown Mall, Titusville
Astronaut Space Walk, Titusville (downtown, along the river's edge)
Spaceworld Collectibles, 14 N Brevard Ave, Cocoa Beach
Space Shirts, Merritt Island (next door to Shuttles, below)
Valiant Air Command musuem, Titusville (Space Coast Exec airport)
See the Navaho just outside the USAF Port Canaveral gate.
Also try going to the Canaveral National Seashore either before or after
launch day for another view of the pads (and a nice beach)

For hobby shops try these - although none of the stores around here
really have a good space section
Spare Time Hobbies, Cocoa (on US 1 between SR 528 & SR 520)
Prop-a-Place, Titusville (downtown US 1 northbound, pretty small)
There are three more down in Melbourne & Palm Bay, but that's about 45
min away from Titusville. There are at least four more around Orlando
too.

Hangouts
Shuttles Bar & Grill, Merritt Island (about 3 miles south of KSC's gate
on SR 3)
Pretty much every restaurant in the area has an autographed astronaut
picture and there isn't any one place that everyone goes to.

Jeff Clark
Cocoa, FL

Old June 27th 05, 03:04 PM

Jeff Clark wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the timely reply!

Old June 27th 05, 09:39 PM
Tim K.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Jeff Clark wrote:

[...]

I'll second everything he's written. I've dealt with Spaceworld; he's a
really nice guy from the Apollo days. I like to just get him talking and
listen to the stories.