NASA PDF - History of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project - SP-4209 available online

Old June 20th 05, 07:58 PM
Rusty

Default NASA PDF - History of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project - SP-4209 available online

"The partnership: A history of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project" -
NASA-SP-4209
that NASA has online in HTML format:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...P-4209/toc.htm

Is now available on the NASA Techincal Reports server in PDF format:

The partnership: A history of the Apollo-Soyuz test project
NASA-SP-4209 , 19780101; JAN 1, 1978
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1979001903.pdf

Rusty

Old June 20th 05, 08:25 PM
OM

On 20 Jun 2005 11:58:09 -0700, "Rusty"
wrote:

"The partnership: A history of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project" -
NASA-SP-4209
that NASA has online in HTML format:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...P-4209/toc.htm

Is now available on the NASA Techincal Reports server in PDF format:

The partnership: A history of the Apollo-Soyuz test project
NASA-SP-4209 , 19780101; JAN 1, 1978
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1979001903.pdf

....Although I've already Vampired the HTML version long ago, the PDF
will be welcome! Good find, Rustoleum!

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 23rd 05, 03:17 PM

Rusty wrote:
"The partnership: A history of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project" -
NASA-SP-4209
that NASA has online in HTML format:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...P-4209/toc.htm

Is now available on the NASA Techincal Reports server in PDF format:

The partnership: A history of the Apollo-Soyuz test project
NASA-SP-4209 , 19780101; JAN 1, 1978
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1979001903.pdf

Rusty

aaaaaaargh! a 552Mb file !!
And then some people wonder why I hate pdf.....

Chris.

Old June 23rd 05, 06:19 PM
Jeff Findley

wrote in message
oups.com...
Rusty wrote:
The partnership: A history of the Apollo-Soyuz test project
NASA-SP-4209 , 19780101; JAN 1, 1978

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1979001903.pdf

aaaaaaargh! a 552Mb file !!
And then some people wonder why I hate pdf.....

The PDF is simply a scan of each page. I don't believe the text has been
converted to text in the PDF, it's all just image scans. Since this
document was written in the 70's, it's not a surprise that the PDF was
created this way. Newer PDF's are typically generated directly from the
original electronic document, so text remains text in the PDF, so the file
size can be orders of magnitude smaller than a scanned document.

If it's not too much trouble, perhaps in the future Rusty can provide file
size information in these (highly useful) postings? I personally did not
mind the big PDF, but I'm running on a fairly modern machine with 1GB of
RAM. That's plenty of memory to look at big PDF's without lots of disk
swapping.

Jeff

Old June 25th 05, 07:40 AM

and any new pdf created document needs to be ADA compliant (Americans
with Disabilities Act) and needs to be text searchable.

Chris.

Old June 25th 05, 10:02 PM
Scott Hedrick

wrote in message
oups.com...
and any new pdf created document needs to be ADA compliant (Americans
with Disabilities Act) and needs to be text searchable.

Feel free to do it, or to provide additional funds for that purpose.

While your idea sounds great, and it is, enforcing it tends to ensure that
projects never get started. It tends to impair the non-handicapped more than
it helps the handicapped, just as Title IX has cost more male college sports
opportunities than it has gained women.

Old June 26th 05, 09:08 AM

I wouldn't know about business ones (probably not) but NASA pdf files
must be (I guess that doesn't apply to highly technical documents that
I think Rusty have given lists to from the NTRS server).
Chris.

Old June 26th 05, 09:12 AM

While preparing html formated books for NASA's History Office, I had to
make sure that pictures had an underlying text layer, which is an ADA
requirement.
I was asked to do it and it didn't require much additional work, so
that was ok with me.
Re the politics of all this, I wouldn't know. I live across the
Atlantic!

Chris.

Old June 27th 05, 05:18 PM

wrote:

"The partnership: A history of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project" -
NASA-SP-4209
that NASA has online in HTML format:

Rusty:

I really appreciate all the work you've done on
the NASA pdf files. I have almost 2 gigs downloaded and would like to
store them on CD-Rs. Could someone walk me through the burning stage
and then how to get them to play off a storage CD on another machine?
Thanks...Joe from RI.