Need advice for moonset photography

Old July 20th 11, 02:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Ciszek

Default Need advice for moonset photography

This sort of involves astronomy, and I am definately an amateur, so...

If my calculations are correct, on Autust 13th I have the opportunity
to photograph the moon setting directly behind Mt. Evans mere minutes
before sunrise from Capitol Hill in Denver. I intend to use my Lumix
FZ35 with a teleconverter that gives it the equivalent of a 826mm
focal length if it were a 35mm, which it isn't. If you are interested,
here is a picture I took of *just* the moon using the same setup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...57623129010923

I somehow calculated exposure time and aperture for that photo, but I
have long since forgotten how I did it. Anyway, for my moonset shot,
I *could* let the FZ35 figure out everything for itself--it's a pretty
smart camera--or I could select certain parameters and let the camera
figure out the rest. For example, I was thinking of selecting a "film
speed" of 100; would you recommend anything different for an almost
daylit moonset shot? I figure I could use up to an eighth of a second
exposure and the moon shouldn't have time to move more than one pixel;
should I use all the time available, or go faster?

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."
Old July 20th 11, 03:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On 2011-07-20, Paul Ciszek wrote:
[...]

You can use the "sunny f/16" rule for the full moon. At f/16 set the
shutter speed to 1/ISO. For othe focal ratios set the shutter accordingly.
f/32 uses 4/ISO, f/8 uses 1/(4*ISO). Bracket, bracket, bracket.

Bud

Old July 20th 11, 11:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis[_1_]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314.../set-721576231...

I somehow calculated exposure time and aperture for that photo, but I
have long since forgotten how I did it. *Anyway, for my moonset shot,
I *could* let the FZ35 figure out everything for itself--it's a pretty
smart camera--or I could select certain parameters and let the camera
figure out the rest. *For example, I was thinking of selecting a "film
speed" of 100; would you recommend anything different for an almost
daylit moonset shot? *I figure I could use up to an eighth of a second
exposure and the moon shouldn't have time to move more than one pixel;
should I use all the time available, or go faster?

--
Please reply to: * * * * * *| "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com * *| *indistinguishable from malice."
Autoreply is disabled * * * |

One of the joys about the digital age is the fact we have IMMEDIATE
feedback. Why not set the camera in manual mode, ISO 100 so as to have
the lowest possible noise and activation of the histogram during
preview and start firing away?

Start out with 1/500 sec and go from there. This is a very trivial
exercise and with immediate feedback at the back of the camera.

Anthony.
Old July 21st 11, 06:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Ciszek

You can use the "sunny f/16" rule for the full moon. At f/16 set the
shutter speed to 1/ISO. For othe focal ratios set the shutter accordingly.
f/32 uses 4/ISO, f/8 uses 1/(4*ISO). Bracket, bracket, bracket.

I think my DMW-LT55 teleconverter (magnification 1.7) throws a wrench
into the Sunny 16 math; I hope I can find someone who understands how
that works. Anyway, am I correct in assuming that because I am aiming
at a point in the sky almost exactly opposite the sun, a polarizer is
pointless?

Old July 21st 11, 07:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thomas Womack

In article ,
Paul Ciszek wrote:

You can use the "sunny f/16" rule for the full moon. At f/16 set the
shutter speed to 1/ISO. For othe focal ratios set the shutter accordingly.
f/32 uses 4/ISO, f/8 uses 1/(4*ISO). Bracket, bracket, bracket.

I think my DMW-LT55 teleconverter (magnification 1.7) throws a wrench
into the Sunny 16 math; I hope I can find someone who understands how
that works.

The teleconverter may mean (depending on how clever it is; if the
lens, camera and teleconverter are from the same company and modern,
and the teleconverter has electrical contacts, the camera probably
does this for you) that the camera is at f/16 when the aperture dial
on the lens reads f/9.4 ... obviously the aperture dial doesn't have
an f/9.4 stop, so set to f/8, which is really f/13.6, so set at 1/(ISO
* (16/13.6)^2) = 1/(ISO * 1.4).

But, really, just take shots of the moon the previous night at lots of
different aperture and shutter settings, and use the one that gives
the prettiest moon for the main event.

Anyway, am I correct in assuming that because I am aiming
at a point in the sky almost exactly opposite the sun, a polarizer is
pointless?

Yes

Tom

Old July 21st 11, 10:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
Thomas Womack wrote:

I think my DMW-LT55 teleconverter (magnification 1.7) throws a wrench
into the Sunny 16 math; I hope I can find someone who understands how
that works.

The teleconverter may mean (depending on how clever it is; if the
lens, camera and teleconverter are from the same company and modern,
and the teleconverter has electrical contacts, the camera probably
does this for you) that the camera is at f/16 when the aperture dial
on the lens reads f/9.4 ... obviously the aperture dial doesn't have
an f/9.4 stop, so set to f/8, which is really f/13.6, so set at 1/(ISO
* (16/13.6)^2) = 1/(ISO * 1.4).

The teleconverter is sold by Panasonic, the same company as the camera.
It has no electrical contacts, but I have to inform the camera that I
am using the teleconverter for things to work properly. Here is a shot
I took of the moon at night with the teleconverter at f/6.3, ISO 100, and
1/160 sec:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...in/photostream

If anyone is interested, I did a little demo of the increase in resolution
provided by the teleconverter, also using the moon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...n/photostream/
(view full size for best demonstration)

Old July 22nd 11, 02:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Ciszek

You can use the "sunny f/16" rule for the full moon. At f/16 set the
shutter speed to 1/ISO. For othe focal ratios set the shutter accordingly.
f/32 uses 4/ISO, f/8 uses 1/(4*ISO). Bracket, bracket, bracket.

Can the "sunny 16" rule be generalized as follows?

(F-number/16)^2 = ISO*(shutter time)

--
Please reply to: | No nation is drunken where wine is cheap.
pciszek at panix dot com | --Thomas Jefferson

Determining *direction* of Moonrise and Moonset? Paul Ciszek Amateur Astronomy 11 February 2nd 10 05:48 AM
ASTRO: Waiting For Moonset Preston S Justis Astro Pictures 0 April 26th 07 05:34 PM
moonrise/moonset time table Larry Misc 1 December 15th 05 08:45 PM
Photography advice - Genesis spacecraft Canopus Amateur Astronomy 1 September 4th 04 03:54 AM
Advice please on telescope for photography Steve Warren @ The UK Speedtrap Guide UK Astronomy 15 September 17th 03 05:36 PM