On the likelihood of communicating with ET, interstellar travel etc.

Old March 31st 04, 08:25 PM
Venona Wickstrom

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

We will have electric motors for short air flights(up to 500 miles)
Electricity is our best hope for transportating energy and us.

Amount of energy require to make cars when oil will be beyound peak not even
talking about how much energy it needs to run on won't be there in future.

Oil is used for
agriculture,
making road,
medicine,
flying planes
ocean ships,
computers (that's right tis made of oil)
media (television, radio, newspaper )
text books, novels etc..

It's just the tips of ice berg what I have listed here list is boundless.
Major affect will be on media even more then one people b/c agriculture can
be done by human being.... But media will be gone no more television,
radio, hollywood or anyother form of media known or unknown. Period!

No other energy can replace the use of oil and once it started to peak it's
more likly there will be genocide, race war, ethnic cleansing and femine.

Technology don't produce energy just as dead woman can't produce babies. Go
figure that out!

--
Happy Linux User
Old April 1st 04, 02:53 AM
Meteorite Debris

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:31:33 +0000 (UTC) the ET form known as
sent a radio signal across the vast
expanse of deep space -._.--._.--._.--._.--._.--._.

Hi all,

I have a "theory" which I believe explains our inability (thus far) to
communicate with ET. This theory had being floating about in my mind for
a while but was precipitated by a post from "Cyber Trekker". I call it
the "sandbox or higher dimensional boundary" theory. Which admittedly,
is a bit of a mouthful. It is really a set of axioms based on a
philosophy that draws from rudimentary principles of self preservation,
self similarity (fractals) as well as being influenced by Gaia Theory.
It is in effect, a "Grand" or "Unified" Gaia theory. It seems so evident
to me that I am rather surprised that no one else (as far as I am aware)
has proposed it.

I believe that the "super intelligence" (some may call this God) that
created the universe/multiverses, has built in a few "safety checks" (or
"sanity checks" if you like) to prevent complete and utter chaos and
destruction from taking hold of the entire system. If this were allowed
to happen, there is the very real risk (as I hope to explain later) of
bringing an end to all intelligent sentient beings in the cosmos - given
enough time.

Sounds a bit too mystical.

snipped

Eventually, any civilization that does not evolve (outside the
space-time continuum), faces one of the following mutually exclusive
binary terminal states.

1). Get wiped out eventually by a cosmic event (this is the default
scenario)

2). "Self destruct" by putting technology before evolving outside the
space time constraint

I would say self destruct is more likely. Cosmic events are very rare.

Incidentally, with regards to contacting ET, Drake's equation tells us
that there are potentially hundreds of thousands of intelligent
civilizations in our galaxy alone. It is a credible figure.

Drake's equation really tells us only what we feel. The input values
are hunches rather than data. I usually arrive at less than 1 civi per
galaxy. Others arrive at millions. Tells us more about ourselves than
it does about the cosmos. For myself I give a very low value for the
longevity variable of the Drake equation and this says I'm a natural
pessimist.

snipped

Why would a universe regulate itself? Could not the fact that the time
and distances involved in space are perhaps too energy expensive to
allow travel through the galaxy be just a coincidence? Why would the
universe care?

Why would would a civilisation that can exploit possible
multidimensional aspects of the universe necessarily be any less
exploitive and irresponsible in the same way you describe level 1
civilisations?

--
epicurus1*at*optusnet*dot*com*dot*au
apatriot #1, atheist #1417,

Shhh. Be very quiet, I'm hunting automorons. Heh heh.

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever
conceived." - Isaac Asimov

Fingerprint for PGP Keys at key server or go to
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pk1956/
RSA - 71 BA 7C 45 B5 4A 5F EA 72 DB EC 7F 7F A8 70 99
DSS - 9217 21A9 9C3F EB0B E302 AD0E 69C5 0F06 402E 0943

Old April 1st 04, 03:17 AM
Meteorite Debris

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:09:30 -0500 (EST) the ET form known as G=EMC^2
sent a radio signal across the vast
expanse of deep space -._.--._.--._.--._.--._.--._.

Hi Painius When oil runs out you burn coal.

And after coal we burn wood again.

Old April 1st 04, 07:22 AM
Kilolani

"Venona Wickstrom" wrote in message

Amount of energy require to make cars when oil will be beyound peak not

even
talking about how much energy it needs to run on won't be there in future.

False dilema... it's not "oil or nothing"

Oil is used for
agriculture,
making road,
medicine,
flying planes
ocean ships,
computers (that's right tis made of oil)
media (television, radio, newspaper )
text books, novels etc..

so?

It's just the tips of ice berg what I have listed here list is boundless.
Major affect will be on media even more then one people b/c agriculture

can
be done by human being.... But media will be gone no more television,
radio, hollywood or anyother form of media known or unknown. Period!

Where is your evidence that lack of oil will cause the media to be "gone?"
Well, come to think of it, a lot of the media are pretty "oily" *grin*

No other energy can replace the use of oil and once it started to peak

it's
more likly there will be genocide, race war, ethnic cleansing and femine.

I'm sorry... are you unaware of Nuclear, Solar, Biomass, Geothermal,
Hydroelectric, Hydrogen Fuel Cells?

Technology don't produce energy just as dead woman can't produce babies.

Go
figure that out!

Non sequitur - religion doesn't produce energy either... so what? And what
does this have to do with dead women?

Old April 1st 04, 12:05 PM
Painius

"Kilolani" wrote in message...
ink.net...

"Painius" wrote in message

Anyway, it still doesn't answer my last questions which basically were...

What do you do when the oil runs out?
What do you *do*?

This is an easy one. Currently oil and coal are MUCH cheaper than
alternative energy sources. If oil and coal were to be exhausted (or
remaining reserves uneconomical to obtain), then alternative energy sources
would become the economically attractive choices, and there are many of
them. Nuclear, Fuel Cells, Solar, Biomass, Geothermal, Hydroelectric, etc.

'Lo Kilolani --

It's not just about energy sources, you know. How are all these
sources you mention going to grease the cogwheels of the many
astronomy observatories? In fact, all of these sources of energy
rely upon machines to do the actual real "work." So without oil
and grease, how are these energy sources going to be useful to
people?

And to Bert... even electric cars have moving parts that rely on
oil and grease.

So i ask again...

What do you do when the oil is all used up?
What do you *DO*?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
"Oh give me please the Universe keys
That unlock all those mysteries!"

"Oh give me please the Happiness keys
That ease the pain of biting fleas!"
Today you seize you need no keys,
That door is always open.

Paine Ellsworth

Old April 1st 04, 02:01 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

What can you do if we use up oil and coal? You can fly me to Columbia
university I'll sell my invention on Pulse fusion for 100 million
dollars,and stay there till its in operation. It costs more than a
Tokamak to build,but it will work,and comes with a money back guarantee.
Bert PS The reason I only want 100 million is my cash flow is down
right now.

Old April 1st 04, 02:41 PM
Painius

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote...
in message ...

What can you do if we use up oil and coal? You can fly me to Columbia
university I'll sell my invention on Pulse fusion for 100 million
dollars,and stay there till its in operation. It costs more than a
Tokamak to build,but it will work,and comes with a money back guarantee.
Bert PS The reason I only want 100 million is my cash flow is down
right now.

Sorry Bert, i can*not* fly you to Columbia. Can't even drive you there.
Why?...

Because there ain't no more grease for the wheel bearings of the
landing gear and other various parts of the airplane and road vehicle.

And your wonderful invention, which *could* maybe be used to
supply energy to the millions and millions of various machines that
we use? How useful will pulse fusion be when all the machines that
are energized by it are rusted solid?

One point that i might be making here is that if we continue to use
crude oil as an energy source as well as a lubricant, then the oil will
run out much quicker. IF however, we start right *now* using other
energy sources and only use oil as a lubricant, the oil will last soooo
much longer.

What do we have that can replace the grease we derive from crude
that is used to lube the world?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Tender is my love for thee
Oh star so close at hand,

It's so easy to believe
In all this beachin' fun,
That some day you and i will be--
Altogether one.

Paine Ellsworth

Old April 1st 04, 07:31 PM
Kilolani

"Painius" wrote in message
It's not just about energy sources, you know. How are all these
sources you mention going to grease the cogwheels of the many
astronomy observatories? In fact, all of these sources of energy
rely upon machines to do the actual real "work." So without oil
and grease, how are these energy sources going to be useful to
people?

So i ask again...

What do you do when the oil is all used up?
What do you *DO*?

It may surprise you to know that I currently use synthetic oil in my
automobile. It is substantially more expenseive, but if the oil was "all
used up"... well, you get the point.

Old April 1st 04, 09:53 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Painius Nature creates the best oil. This oil is in the oceans,and
salt water does not cut it. It is given off on the skin of a
fish.Fish are as slippery as things can get. Cod liver oil runs my
sports car. Chicken fat is good for your hair. Chicken fat and brown
shoe polish rubbed into your hair once a day covers the grey and keeps
you from going bald. When we have my pulse fusion energy source.and
need the best film of oil to cover moving parts. Nature has them waiting
for us. Ask a snail. Its a snail for the best oils,and a barnacle for
the best glue. Bert

Old April 2nd 04, 05:26 PM
Larry Bud

Sorry Bert, i can*not* fly you to Columbia. Can't even drive you there.
Why?...

Because there ain't no more grease for the wheel bearings of the
landing gear and other various parts of the airplane and road vehicle.

Synthetic lubes, my man, synthetic lubes.