ancient druids' knowledge of astronomy?

Old February 11th 13, 05:36 AM posted to alt.religion.druid,sci.astro,alt.astrology,alt.astronomy,soc.history.ancient
David Dalton

Default ancient druids' knowledge of astronomy?

What is known of the ancient druids' knowledge of
astronomy? And that of the peoples that preceded
them in the British Isles, e.g. those responsible
for Stonehenge and other stone circles?

--
David Dalton http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.html Newfoundland&Labrador Travel & Music
Old February 11th 13, 05:47 AM posted to alt.religion.druid,sci.astro,alt.astrology,alt.astronomy,soc.history.ancient
David Dalton

In article ,
David Dalton wrote:

What is known of the ancient druids' knowledge of
astronomy? And that of the peoples that preceded
them in the British Isles, e.g. those responsible
for Stonehenge and other stone circles?

And do modern druid organizations require their
members to have some degree of astronomical knowledge?

Old February 11th 13, 11:03 AM posted to alt.religion.druid,sci.astro,alt.astrology,alt.astronomy,soc.history.ancient
Martin Edwards[_2_]

On 11/02/2013 05:47, David Dalton wrote:
In article ,
David Dalton wrote:

What is known of the ancient druids' knowledge of
astronomy? And that of the peoples that preceded
them in the British Isles, e.g. those responsible
for Stonehenge and other stone circles?

And do modern druid organizations require their
members to have some degree of astronomical knowledge?

Until recently nothing was known about the builders of Stonehenge etc,
but recent discoveries suggest that they were used for solstice
ceremonies to which people came from a wide area with the ashes of their
ancestors. In the Bronze Age society became more localized, and in the
Iron age there were more changes. Modern druids? They know sweet FA
about history, so perhaps astronomy would be a bit of a stretch.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman
Old February 11th 13, 01:36 PM posted to alt.religion.druid,sci.astro,alt.astrology,alt.astronomy,soc.history.ancient
billy bosco

On Feb 11, 12:36*am, David Dalton wrote:
What is known of the ancient druids' knowledge of
astronomy? * And that of the peoples that preceded
them in the British Isles, e.g. those responsible
for Stonehenge and other stone circles?

--
David Dalton *http://www.nfld.com/~dalton(home page)http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.htmlN...dland&Labrador Travel & Musichttp://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.htmlSalmon on the Thorns (mystic page)
* *"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiFvuROHV8A
Old February 12th 13, 01:31 AM posted to alt.religion.druid,sci.astro,alt.astrology,alt.astronomy,soc.history.ancient
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_7_]

"billy bosco" wrote in message

On Feb 11, 12:36 am, David Dalton wrote:
What is known of the ancient druids' knowledge of
astronomy? And that of the peoples that preceded
them in the British Isles, e.g. those responsible
for Stonehenge and other stone circles?

--
David Dalton http://www.nfld.com/~dalton(home
page)http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.htmlN...dland&Labrador Travel &
Musichttp://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.htmlSalmon on the Thorns (mystic
page)
"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiFvuROHV8A
Over 5 minutes of droning misery? You sick *******.
*plonk*

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.
When the fools chicken farmer Wilson and Van de faggot present an argument I
cannot laugh at I'll retire from usenet.

Old February 12th 13, 04:03 AM posted to alt.religion.druid,sci.astro,alt.astrology,alt.astronomy,soc.history.ancient
billy bosco

page)http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.htmlN...LabradorTravel &
Musichttp://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.htmlSalmonon the Thorns (mystic
page)
* *"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiFvuROHV8A
Over 5 minutes of droning misery? You sick *******.
*plonk*

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.
When the fools chicken farmer Wilson and Van de faggot present an argument I
cannot laugh at I'll retire from usenet.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nnibalism.html

Just like those in the Congo, these are YOUR ancestors!!!