Meade LXD55 6" Achromatic Refractor

Old September 6th 03, 05:04 AM
Nate Pitcher

Default Meade LXD55 6" Achromatic Refractor

Hey guys.

I've been recently looking to upgrade my old garbage scope, and was looking
at the Meade LXD55 6" Achromatic Refractor. It can be found at the link
below. Read about the 6" version, not the 5". Would that scope give
detailed images of solar system objects and deep-space objects (nebulae,
galaxies, clusters, etc.), or would I need an even better scope. I would
also use the scope for some astrophotography, but wasn't sure if it would be
too blury because it's achromatic. I was looking at this scope because it
isn't as pricey as the apochromatic Meade refractors. Would the image
quality be a lot different between the apochromatic and achromatic? Lastly,
I thought this scope would be good because it includes the equatorial mount,
and the GoTo remote. What do you guys think?

http://www.meade.com/catalog/lxd55/lxd55_achrofrac.html

Old September 6th 03, 07:43 PM
Bill Hennessy

You can buy a bigger scope for the same money.

Old September 6th 03, 09:08 PM
Nate Pitcher

What scopes would that be? I started to look at the Meade 127ED 5"
Apochromatic Refractor. While it's a little more expensive, and a little
smaller, I think the fact that it's apochromatic would make the end result
better. Any thoughts?