Expansion of the Universe

Old August 29th 03, 07:01 PM
John Carruthers

Default Expansion of the Universe

At what speed is the Universe currently expanding?
I'm just doing this for my OU course, I worked it out to 61.3 km/
s/Mpc.
The accepted value is around 60 but anywhere between 40 and 100 may be
right !!

That is, assuming we are expanding from the point where The Big Bang

occurred
No, everything is zooming away from everything else, there is no "
point of origin" weird.
Also c is still a constant, things do not exceed c, ...ever...!
(except on Star Trek) :-))
jc

---

Old August 29th 03, 08:52 PM
Peter

John Carruthers wrote:

At what speed is the Universe currently expanding?

I'm just doing this for my OU course, I worked it out to 61.3 km/
s/Mpc.
The accepted value is around 60 but anywhere between 40 and 100 may
be right !!

That is, assuming we are expanding from the point where The Big Bang

occurred
No, everything is zooming away from everything else, there is no "
point of origin" weird.
Also c is still a constant, things do not exceed c, ...ever...!

expansion does

and

(except on Star Trek) :-))

of course.

jc

---

Old September 3rd 03, 01:55 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

John The expansion rate of space is accelerating from our point of red
shifting view in all directions from us. That gives us the feeling
we are at the center(this could not be reality) Astronomers seeing the
red shift getting redder and redder say it is accelerating faster and
faster. To accelerate continually needs a continual force.(like gravity)
That is another one of natures mysteries. I have one theory space goes
from concave to convex(Einstien would like that) or that matter,and
anti-matter are annihilating each other at a distance of 13 billion LY
from us. My last idea has continual (once a day) mini-bangs taking place
also very far from us is creating this space energy of accelerating
expansion. John take your pick. I'm laughing I just thought of another
way. Bert

Old September 5th 03, 02:52 PM
Greg Neill

"John Carruthers" wrote in message
At what speed is the Universe currently expanding?

I'm just doing this for my OU course, I worked it out to 61.3 km/
s/Mpc.
The accepted value is around 60 but anywhere between 40 and 100 may be
right !!

These days things are a little more stringent than that:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/phys...eConstant.html

That is, assuming we are expanding from the point where The Big Bang

occurred
No, everything is zooming away from everything else, there is no "
point of origin" weird.
Also c is still a constant, things do not exceed c, ...ever...!
(except on Star Trek) :-))
jc

Widely separated regions of space, and their contents, can
be moving at relative velocities greater than c. This is
due to the expansion of space itself with intervening
space being created, the overall effect being that the
distance between far apart regions is growing at a rate
that is faster than light can cover in the same time. This
is the reason why we have a cosmic horizon, from beyond which
light cannot reach us.

Note that this does not contradict relativity and the
notion that the *local* speed of light cannot exceed c.

Old September 6th 03, 12:25 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

It was Doppler that told us the change of frequency of sound let you
know if the object was coming towards you or away. Now we think of
Hubble next using red,and blue to show if an object is coming at us or
away. This is not true it was to guys named Huggins,and Fizeau. In 1869
Huggins figured out that Sirius was moving away from Earth at 20 miles a
second. Hubble came into the picture when he picked up on this and
applied it to galaxies,and he told us galaxies got redder,and redder
they increased their speed away from us with distance. In other words,
the universe was expanding. Hubble got a Nobel Bert