Poll: Best travel scope (airline carry-on)

Old February 16th 04, 11:51 PM
Jon Isaacs

Default Poll: Best travel scope (airline carry-on)

A few questions, how would the C5 compare to say an ETX125?

Optically, probably neck and neck except the C-5 has a shorter focal length and
is not limited by the flip mirror system. Pretty complicated getting focal
reducer on an ETX-125 so that the forks don't get in the way.

The C-5 is robust, no plastic, it is built like a mini C-8 and takes the same
accessories. Mine is number 669 and seems to still be going strong.

(Currently, my
favorite targets are globulars and planetary nebulas. Although I've never
seen any detail on galaxies from my polluted sites, so I get little
satisfaction out of them...now)

When the skies get dark, then the big wide FOVs become more.

I do already have a very sturdy tripod (star-d 70", 3-way adj head, 1/4-20
mounting screw) , what would I need to have the C5 on it?

I am not familar with the Star-D tripod but I did find a website where one was
used for a comparison of 4 Medium format cameras so my guess is that it would
be more than adequate.

With the 3 way head, hopefully you can do what I do which is mount the OTA
"side saddle" which effectively turns it into a single armed fork mount. Heres
a photo of an ST-80 mounted "Side Saddle."

http://members.aol.com/jonisaacs/bik...s/poglidsk.jpg

The top axis is flipped sideways.

So, if everything works out, it should just screw right on and you should be
ready to rip.

I would recommend trying it first if you could, it works for me, I use it with
my C-5 and with my Pronto, but I am an Alt-AZ DOB sort of guy.

If you want some photos or other info, Email me privately.

THese come up every so often on Astromart, might give that a look.

Jon

Old February 17th 04, 12:18 AM
Craig Levine

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:50:34 -0600, "starburst"
wrote:
No companies I know of
produce a decent little DOB for travel,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Check out http://www.infinityscopes.com/. Pricey, but a great idea.

Cheers,

- Craig

Craig Levine
Observing Chairman
RASC, Halifax Centre
www.halifax.rasc.ca

Old February 17th 04, 03:08 AM
Karl

Default Best travel scope (airline carry-on)

My Questar or my AP Traveller. I can afford not to care about the price.
Rasor sharp optics, well corrected, rock solid design and timeless
craftmanship.
Old February 17th 04, 03:08 AM
Karl

Old February 17th 04, 04:13 AM
Al

"Karl" wrote in message

My Questar or my AP Traveller. I can afford not to care about the price.
Rasor sharp optics, well corrected, rock solid design and timeless
craftmanship.

Since money is no object, I have a nice bridge I'd like to sell you in
Brooklyn.:-)

Al

Old February 17th 04, 06:21 AM
starburst

Ouch! My Wallet! It's cute, and I'm sure the electronics are impressive, but
*man*! 2500 bucks for an 8" newtonian? - whew. - Chris

Old February 17th 04, 02:43 PM
Tony Flanders

"Tim Powers" wrote in message ...

What is your opinion on an airline carry-on scope?

It's hard to answer without knowing your other constraints. Do you
want to carry the complete scope on board, or are you willing to
carry just the optical tube, and check the mount? If so, is there
an upper limit on the size/weight of the mount due to other
constraints (e.g. total baggge allowance)? Would you consider
checking the whole telescope? How much are you willing to push
what the airlines officially allow on board? (Note that 2/3
of all passengers on any given flight are exceeding their
official allowance -- but mostly with stuff that can be checked
at the last moment if necessary, which would not be a good idea
with an optical tube in a lightweight case.)

I assume this is for visual observing only, not photography.
Do you want an equatorial mount, or is altaz OK? Do you have
to observe standing up or is sitting OK? Does this have to be
off-the-shelf or are you willing to do some construction, or
have somebody else do it for you?

After answering all of those, you're going to end up looking
at three classes of scopes: catadioptrics, short-focus
refractors, and truss-tube Newtonians (probably Dobs).
Catadioptrics give best performance per unit length, refractors
best performance per unit diameter, and truss-tube Dobs best
performance per unit total volume/weight including mount.
Good luck!

- Tony Flanders