Jupiter, moons, and their shadows.

Old February 29th 04, 05:05 PM
Edward Smith

Default Jupiter, moons, and their shadows.

I was reading about the three shadow on Jupiter event that is comming
up on March 27/28. I'm hoping for clear skies that night because this
whole sequence is very conveniently timed for viewing in California
(Starting about 2210 on the 27th and ending at about 0110 on the 28th
with the 3 shadows on the moon right about midnight).

Now, I haven't actually tried to see a shadow transit yet but I should
be able too (Celestron C9 1/4). Assuming I get clear weather between
now and then during a time I'm home and there is a shadow transit, I'm
going to give it a practice run. Is there any advice that you can
give for doing this viewing?

Old February 29th 04, 07:23 PM
Tom Rankin

You said it yourself, Practice!

--
Tom Rankin - Programmer by day, amateur astronomer by night!
Mid-Hudson Astronomy Association - http://jump.to/mhaa

When replying, remove the capital letters from my email address.
Old February 29th 04, 09:01 PM
David Nakamoto

You said it, and next Thursday is a good time to practice, since the
original poster mentioned he was in California. this Thursday Europa and
then Io transit the disk of Jupiter, and for a period of time starting
around 11pm you can see both moons and their shadows transiting Jupiter.
Good practice run. There are others as the days count down to the triple
event.

--- Dave

Old March 1st 04, 12:29 AM
Don Baker

One thing to add.
I use a #11 yellow filter to help bring out the shadows.
Give it a try. It also helps bring out the Cassini Division of Saturn's
ring system.

--

Don Baker
www.geocities.com/thebugbomber