Phobos in color and 3D

Old April 11th 08, 08:57 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

Default Phobos in color and 3D

On Apr 11, 11:51 am, Eric Chomko wrote:
On Apr 10, 5:27 pm, BradGuth wrote:

On Apr 10, 10:59 am, Eric Chomko wrote:

On Apr 10, 1:16 pm, BradGuth wrote:

On Apr 9, 2:38 pm, BradGuth wrote:

On Apr 9, 1:26 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

New images from MRO:http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/phobos.php

Pat

Great color saturation and otherwise nifty dynamic range of contrast.

Odd, that of better cameras and better optics of our newer MESSENGER
mission could not accomplish the same, not even with having far better
illumination on behalf of getting 10% as good of color saturations, or
much less that of dynamic range. I wonder what the problem is, as to
why the planet Mercury was such a pastel and relatively light shade of
gray, especially when it's mineral and surface deposit dimmed albedo
of 0.12 is hardly much better off than coal.
. - Brad Guth

Hmmm, how unfortunate as to what a few honest words of such a simple
question can so easily close down and otherwise slam the doors shut on
a given topic.

Why exactly is there so much fear of the truth?

You flatter yourself and are clueless how mission teams function.
There was nothing sinister or odd about getting a quick-look image
out, well, quickly. You saw the quick-look Mercury images and then saw
the images which had a time to get color processed like the Phobos
image was, and thought something just HAD to me amiss. You are what is
amiss!

And if you think that Mercury being .36 AU to the sun should look like
coal, then you sort of really don't get albedo, nor solar output nor
physics in general. Go back to your fantasy writing and leave science
to the rest of us.

Even I reprocessed those damn few MESSENGER color images of Mercury,
and as such they looked at least ten fold better and offered loads
more informative mineralogy data than anything team Messenger had to
offer at the time of long since, and to think I didn't even have to
artificially fudge one damn thing.

So , what are you sceptical of then?

Obviously you can't hardly read, so what's the difference. Do you
even have any version of PhotoShop?

There was however a rather huge lack of initial color saturation and
of not hardly 10% the worth of dynamic range to begin with. Can you
explain why?

Because the first images were processed very quickly. Brad you do
understand that all space images come down in black and white
(grayscale) and then the color gets added later right? Sometimes even
false color (vegetation done in red, for example) is provided to
better illustrate difference. Another example is making ice blue and
clouds white rather than making the visible white for both even though
that is what cloulds and ice look like to us in the visible spectrum.
They can exploit the thermal differences and also use reflectance,
etc.

A century from now?

Why did they bother to exclude those raw color saturations and better
DR data to begin with?

BTW, coal has an albedo of roughly 0.1, and the Mercury average albedo
of 0.12 is only 20% less than being dark as coal. Other than a vie

Coal has an albedo of 0.1 from what distance?

Distance has nothing whatsoever to do with it, other than the closer
you get the darker it looks to the naked eye, as well as on film,
especially darker if using a polarized optical element. Were you born
perpetually dumbfounded?

of its dark side, I didn't see much of anything even remotely close to
an average of 0.12 (12% reflective), unless I cranked up the PhotoShop
contrast in order to compensate for the otherwise **** poor DR worth
of those MESSENGER images of Mercury.

There was nothing wrong with the MESSENGER images. Did you see the
previous Mercury mission (Mariner 10) images? Did you compare those to
MESSENGER's images?

I'm not the village idiot that you're trying to establish, but then I
don't have that nifty brown-nose like yours. (your clownish gain, my
loss)

I guess those NASA mirror optics were actually so downright crappy, is
why those images of Mercury turned out looking so pastel and otherwise
pathetic. I've got a cell phone camera that would have accomplished
better color saturation and superior DR/contrast.

Right. Did ever consider why Mercury would look pastel and washed out?
Did you expect a vibrate red, orange, green or yellow like we see from
Jupiter and Saturn?

What color is Venus, Brad??

Radar imaging doesn't color skew upon anything. Obviously your incest
mutated DNA has your private parts all screwed up, with your left/
right brains as butt-cheeks.
.. - Brad Guth

Phobos Question heksie UK Astronomy 6 January 26th 08 08:37 PM
ASTRO: And yet again a M27 in color (my very first color image!) DvandenH Astro Pictures 10 September 21st 07 10:23 PM
MWBR 2.71 K linked to color Color of the Universe is silverywhite like the element plutonium (JohnsHopkins) Archimedes Plutonium Astronomy Misc 3 March 25th 04 07:17 AM
Investigate Phobos George Prehmus Research 1 July 13th 03 03:00 PM