Shuttle Launch Location Info Wanted

Old April 30th 11, 10:38 PM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

Default Shuttle Launch Location Info Wanted

As we're still in Florida at this time, we are
contemplating a drive over to the Space Coast
to view the STS 134 launch. Pending the outcome
of the review that will be announced tomorrow
morning.

To work out a good viewing location (NASA
Causeway tickets are almost two months gone),
I'm looking at this site:

http://www.launchphotography.com/Shu...h_Viewing.html

So, along the Rt 1 zone in Titusville looks to be our
best shot. Perhaps Spaceview Park itself.

Any further info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Andre
Old May 1st 11, 04:35 PM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On May 1, 12:51*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 4/30/2011 1:38 PM, Andre Lieven wrote:

As we're still in Florida at this time, we are
contemplating a drive over to the Space Coast
to view the STS 134 launch. Pending the outcome
of the review that will be announced tomorrow
morning.

It ain't launching Monday:
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2011/0...vour-will.html

Well, yes, we know that now. The announcement came today,
while I posted the OP yesterday.

Andre

Old May 1st 11, 07:56 PM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On May 1, 5:40*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 5/1/2011 7:35 AM, Andre Lieven wrote:

On May 1, 12:51 pm, Pat *wrote:
On 4/30/2011 1:38 PM, Andre Lieven wrote:

As we're still in Florida at this time, we are
contemplating a drive over to the Space Coast
to view the STS 134 launch. Pending the outcome
of the review that will be announced tomorrow
morning.

It ain't launching Monday:
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2011/0...vour-will.html

Well, yes, we know that now. The announcement came today,
while I posted the OP yesterday.

Well, thought I'd save you a trip in case you hadn't heard.

Oh, I knew that they'd be announcing the reschedule date this
morning, and being that we're only two hours drive away, we
wouldn't have had to leave before the late afternoon. It was
always my intent to check the morning briefing results before
making the final decisions today.

Road trips are always stressful, as you may have to use a rat-infested
men's room at a highway rest stop and wipe your ass with sandpaper,
while the women sit on the kid leather seats of the designer toilets in
their part, and have their nails manicured. ;-)

Oh, it's not so bad. I got from Ottawa to FL. in well under three
days on the road. My only problem with the overnight motels
was that, since I was nighting on a Friday night and a Saturday
night, not all of the coupon deals in the books you get at state
welcome centres would be useable.

Some of the rest area facilities along the 95 are very, very
nice.

I even arrived here a half hour ahead of schedule.

Andre

Old May 2nd 11, 02:43 AM posted to sci.space.history
Peter Stickney[_2_]

On May 1, 12:51 pm, Pat Â*wrote:
[...]

Anyway, back to the original subject -
Space View Park will get you a view of the entire launch.
But get there very very early. Parking is rather limited,
and it'll be crowded as the Tokyo subway.

You're 2 hours away? I am too, in the Tampa area.

--
Pete Stickney
Failure is not an option
Old May 2nd 11, 05:20 AM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On May 1, 12:51 pm, Pat *wrote:
[...]

LOL. We're also in the Tampa area, just a half hour to the
north.

Right now, our tentative plan would be to get a motel in the
general area, for the night before, and then to get to a viewing
spot in the morning.

Who knows, a bit of a tour of the other parts of the Cape might
also be added in.

Thanks, Andre
Old May 2nd 11, 09:51 PM posted to sci.space.history
Chris

On Apr 30, 5:38*pm, Andre Lieven wrote:

So, along the Rt 1 zone in Titusville looks to be our
best shot. Perhaps Spaceview Park itself.

I was there for the attempted launch last Friday. About two blocks
north of Spaceview Park, sitting on my laptop, doing some work, when
someone walked by, muttering "scrubbed." Grabbed my wife's Droid
phone, saw that it was canceled, and started packing up, muttering to
myself too.

Observations: we got there a little before noon for a 3:47 launch, and
the grassy area we were in (between Max Brewer parkway and a hotel)
was already about half-full. We were able to find a reasonable spot at
the park that early. Parking was hilarious: every block closer to the
park was $5 more expensive: we actually turned around and drove back a
ways to get to the cheaper parking, because a block of walking should
not be worth that much. Lots of traffic, even four hours before the
launch. The Max Brewer Parkway bridge was pretty darn packed, even 4
hours ahead of time: did not think we could find room there. Did not
check the Spaceview park, grabbed a reasonable spot and hunkered
down.

That was actually the 2nd time I'd tried to see a shuttle launch. I'm
0-2. Maybe I will get a third chance.

Chris Manteuffel

Help Please: RSS feed for Space Shuttle Info, Launch Information [email protected] Space Shuttle 0 March 12th 09 05:30 PM
Info Wanted Starlord Amateur Astronomy 5 August 25th 05 04:56 PM
manufacturer info wanted Ge Misc 2 June 2nd 04 08:37 PM
Telescope info wanted Richard Misc 2 November 5th 03 04:47 AM
Shuttle launch location versus payload David Ball Space Shuttle 0 August 23rd 03 12:29 AM