Building Ships IN SPACE

Old January 16th 04, 12:51 AM
Aus-LEO

Default Building Ships IN SPACE

Is it possible to BUILD a SHIP In SPACE, out of a Polymer Based
Plastic, we sometimes hear people complaining how our cars are being
build with less metal these days. I could imagine a SHIP, which could
be constructed of a PolyUrethane Coated Injection Moulded Plastic,
which could all be built ON EARTH to create more JOBS, Down Here. The
payload would be lighter than Metal Structures to be assembled in
Space. This type of ship, of course, will not be designed for landing,
just transporting, another Bizaare thought i had about Propelling it
into the Depths of SPACE towards a Destination, "Use a SlingShot or
Catapult which could be Based on the moon" So here we go, my crazy
idea. Have a HUGE PLASTIC SPHERE, inside this, we would need a
BLADDER, "Yes Like a SoccerBall" within this Bladder, we could
LockDown a few Conventional SpaceShuttles and or Landing Modules. And
anything else we would want to transport. Now Fuel. I then Think about
our Little AIR Hockey Game, and also a PushBike Pump....Boy have I
gone Back to BASICS with my train of thought. Therefore most of the
"mechanical Components, would be , Rubber, Plastic, Graphite,
Fibreglass, and most probably Bamboo and or Cane. And the propulsion
would be a fanforced outburst of wind. Now clearly, you can see I
don't have a clue what i am talking about.....But to have an opinion,
you don't need to know what your talking about, its the Wiz or the
genius, who can put the pieces together and test it. Can we build from
this ingredience list.

Cheers, to infinity and beyond...lol

LEO
Old January 17th 04, 08:56 PM
jetgraphics

Aus-LEO wrote:

[...]

I think you might wish to use a metal foil bladder, in case UV degrades your
polymer bladder integrity.

But think bigger... a tube, 1 mile across, 20 miles long. Then start
assembling modules and framework inside. At least it would be "shirtsleeve
environment". Now add second tube - connect ends. Spin the internal
assemblies and generate some G's and counteract coriolis.
Pile up trash at sunward end for cheap shielding - trash security.