SETI@home data (.sah) files in different directory than the program files?

Old November 27th 03, 11:04 AM
Heiko Baums

Default SETI@home data (.sah) files in different directory than the program files?

Hi,

I'm running Windows XP and Linux on the same computer - of course not at
the same time ;-) .

The Windows version of SETI@home is installed on the NTFS partition. Now I
want to install SETI@home for Linux but because the Windows and the Linux
clients are not running at the same time I'd like to use the same .sah
files with both clients without copying them each time between the
different installation directories - Linux can read from NTFS but can't
really write to NTFS and Windows can't access Linux file systems.

So is it possible to let SETI@home save its .sah files into a third
directory on e.g. a FAT32 partition so that both clients can use the same
..sah files?
If yes how do I have to configure the clients to do that?
If no would it be possible to write an upgrade of the clients in which the
user can choose a .sah directory?

Regards,
Heiko Baums
Old November 27th 03, 01:02 PM
Mark Taylor

Heiko Baums wrote in
. 1.4:

[...]

The only way that will work is to have a FAT partition in windows running
the WinNT command line client.

Then, under linux run WINE which is a windows emulator. The WinNT version
will run just fine under wine.

If you tried to make the .sah file avaialable to a Windows version and a
linux version, the client will start from the beginning each time it
determines the other was the last to use them.

Cheers,
Mark

Old November 27th 03, 04:08 PM
Heiko Baums

Mark Taylor wrote:

The only way that will work is to have a FAT partition in windows running
the WinNT command line client.

Then, under linux run WINE which is a windows emulator. The WinNT version
will run just fine under wine.

If you tried to make the .sah file avaialable to a Windows version and a
linux version, the client will start from the beginning each time it
determines the other was the last to use them.

Cheers,
Mark

Thank you for your answer.

I will think about it.
But I hope in the new BOINC version it will be possible to use the same .sah
files with two different versions. If not then it possibly may take a bit
longer until some work units are finished because I like it more to run a
program that's natively compiled than running a program through an
emulator.

Regards,
Heiko

Old November 27th 03, 08:42 PM
Martin

Heiko Baums wrote:
Mark Taylor wrote:

The only way that will work is to have a FAT partition in windows running
the WinNT command line client.

Then, under linux run WINE which is a windows emulator. The WinNT version
will run just fine under wine.

If you tried to make the .sah file avaialable to a Windows version and a
linux version, the client will start from the beginning each time it
determines the other was the last to use them.

Cheers,
Mark

Thank you for your answer.

I will think about it.

[...]

I'm running exactly that setup he
WinNT CLI client + SetiSpy + SetiQueue under Wine on Mandrake 9.1 Linux.

Email me if you want details of the setup/scripts. (Eliminate the
various dd and nospam bits from the return address.)

Strange thing is, I've not needed to go back to the Windoze partition so
far!

And if you really wanted, you could run both Linux and Windoze on the
same machine at the same time (;-))

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- Give a man a fish and you have fed him for today.
- Martin - Teach him how to fish and he won't bother you for weeks!

Old November 28th 03, 12:09 AM
Al

"Heiko Baums" wrote in message

If not then it possibly may take a bit longer until some work units are
finished because I like it more to run a program that's natively compiled
than running a program through an emulator.

Usually emulated programs are slower. But the Linux version is heavily
underoptimized (the WinNT client uses better maths libraries) and so
running the WinNT client using WINe under Linux is actually faster than
running the WinNT client natively on Windows!!!

Well, that was true at least when I had Win98 and SuSE 8.0 Linux on this
system. Now that I have a real OS, Windows 2000, those two are history.

Old November 28th 03, 12:43 AM
Martin

Al wrote:
"Heiko Baums" wrote in message

If not then it possibly may take a bit longer until some work units are
finished because I like it more to run a program that's natively compiled
than running a program through an emulator.

Usually emulated programs are slower. But the Linux version is heavily
underoptimized (the WinNT client uses better maths libraries) and so
running the WinNT client using WINe under Linux is actually faster than
running the WinNT client natively on Windows!!!

Well, that was true at least when I had Win98 and SuSE 8.0 Linux on this
system. Now that I have a real OS, Windows 2000, those two are history.

That is also a very good reflection on how efficient and well coded the
Linux Wine environment is as compared to the overly complex Windows
spaghetti mess! You get the vastly better Linux reliability also.

Happy crunchin',
Martin