The Apollo astronots would have fried!

Old November 2nd 03, 07:33 PM
[email protected] \(formerly\)

Default The Apollo astronots would have fried!

Dear Nathan Jones:

"Nathan Jones" wrote in message
The 1969 - 1972 Apollo missions occured during a sunspot maxima
period. It was known at the time that on any particular day there
were on average to be expected (during the maxima years) about
15 detectable solar flares that would be headed for Earth and if
we take them all to be low energy flares of about 2.5 rem each
then that would mean that the Apollo astronauts would have been
exposed to 375 rem each day. The maximum permissible dose for Joe
public is 0.5 rem per year.
Go figure!

"Would be headed for Earth". Didn't.
"Permissible dose". Maybe we should arrest them?

Disinformation at its best.

David A. Smith

Old November 2nd 03, 10:00 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Nathan Jones
writes
The 1969 - 1972 Apollo missions occured during a sunspot maxima
period. It was known at the time that on any particular day there
were on average to be expected (during the maxima years) about
15 detectable solar flares that would be headed for Earth and if
we take them all to be low energy flares of about 2.5 rem each
then that would mean that the Apollo astronauts would have been
exposed to 375 rem each day. The maximum permissible dose for Joe
public is 0.5 rem per year.
Go figure!

The actual doses received by the astronauts are a matter of public
record, although that's also part of the global conspiracy, of course.
I'm fairly sure that your figures are incorrect, as you don't provide
any references, but I can't be bothered to look up the real ones. The
burden of proof is on you, as the accuser.
I will note that everyone knows they were lucky. A big flare could have
killed them on the Moon (the CM had sufficient shielding). But were
there any major flares that directed material toward the Earth during
the relevant times? Something else for you to look up.
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old November 2nd 03, 11:09 PM
Anders Eklöf

\(formerly\)" dlzc1.cox@net wrote:

Dear Nathan Jones:

"Nathan Jones" wrote in message
The 1969 - 1972 Apollo missions occured during a sunspot maxima
period. It was known at the time that on any particular day there
were on average to be expected (during the maxima years) about
15 detectable solar flares that would be headed for Earth and if
we take them all to be low energy flares of about 2.5 rem each
then that would mean that the Apollo astronauts would have been
exposed to 375 rem each day. The maximum permissible dose for Joe
public is 0.5 rem per year.
Go figure!

Nathan can't multiply - 15 * 2.5 is 37.5, not 375.

"Would be headed for Earth". Didn't.
"Permissible dose". Maybe we should arrest them?

Disinformation at its best.

Definitely. The permissile public dose is base on risk assessment -
mainly cancer induction. Radiation workers are allowed to occationaly
acquire up to .05 Gy (5 rem) in a year. But immediate effects (e.g.
radiation sickness) generally start around a single dose of .5 Gy.

However, the August '72 flare would have jeoparized any Apollo mission
at the time, as they would have received something like 5-10 Gy
(500-1000 rem) within a few hours. 5 Gy is a potentially lethal dose if
you don't come under medical care soon.

James Michener used this scenario for a fictious Apollo 18 mission.
I wonder what doses last week's eruptions would have given ...

Apollo 1 Fire Jokes Nomen Nescio Space Shuttle 5 January 30th 04 01:18 AM
If Liberty bells hatch hadnt blown? Hallerb History 28 August 30th 03 02:57 AM
Apollo pictures taken from the TV screen Doug... History 0 August 26th 03 08:30 AM
The Collins factor Doug... History 27 August 22nd 03 05:57 PM
Which Apollo landing site would you revisit? EAC History 2 July 13th 03 08:26 PM