Supernova Cosmology Project

Old February 16th 06, 11:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Supernova Cosmology Project

The Discovery Science Channel featured a program from 2000 (I think) about
this project. Dr. Saul Perlmutter headed it up. Does anyone know the current
status? 1998 article at http://www.lbl.gov/supernova/.

"When you think about it, electricity is
really just organized lightning." -- George Carlin

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Old February 17th 06, 12:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"W. Watson" wrote in
k.net:

The Discovery Science Channel featured a program from 2000 (I think)
about this project. Dr. Saul Perlmutter headed it up. Does anyone know
the current status? 1998 article at http://www.lbl.gov/supernova/.

The main website lists articles published last year so I would assume the
project is still very much active. See:

http://supernova.lbl.gov/

Not sure if there is any collaboration with amateurs as for the backyard
astrophysics group:

http://cba.phys.columbia.edu/

or the gravitational microlensing projects like OGLE and MOA which have a
lot of observational input from amateurs equipment with CCD gear.

Klazmon

Old February 17th 06, 03:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

The SCP concentrates on very distant supernovae,
at redshifts greater than 0.3 and apparent magnitudes
fainter than approx 21. There are few amateurs
who can perform high-precision photometry of such
faint objects.

Michael Richmond

Old February 21st 06, 02:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

W. Watson wrote:
The Discovery Science Channel featured a program from 2000 (I think)
about this project. Dr. Saul Perlmutter headed it up. Does anyone know
the current status? 1998 article at http://www.lbl.gov/supernova/.

Here is more of a summary of the data
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni/uni_101fate.html
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni/101bb2_1.html