Who First Realized That The Sun Was A Fierey Ball

Old February 2nd 10, 10:53 PM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Thomas Radner

Default Who First Realized That The Sun Was A Fierey Ball

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me when people
first realized that the sun was a fiery ball, since Anaximander was
still theorizing as late as the 6th cent. BCE that the sun was a wheel
or a disk, and people were routinely depicting and refering to the sun
as such.

Thanks very much in advance for the info.
Old February 3rd 10, 02:21 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Dan Birchall[_3_]

(Thomas Radner) wrote:
I was wondering if anyone here could tell me when people
first realized that the sun was a fiery ball, since Anaximander was
still theorizing as late as the 6th cent. BCE that the sun was a wheel
or a disk, and people were routinely depicting and refering to the sun
as such.

Wikipedia says Anaxagoras (~500-~428 BC) decided it was made of
flaming metal, but I don't have my history of astronomy textbook handy
so I can't check whether there were earlier ones.

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall, Night Operation Assistant, Subaru Telescope/NAOJ.
naoj | Views I express are my own, certainly not those of my employer.
Old February 3rd 10, 09:37 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Thomas Radner

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 19:21:16 -0600, Dan Birchall
wrote:

(Thomas Radner) wrote:
I was wondering if anyone here could tell me when people
first realized that the sun was a fiery ball, since Anaximander was
still theorizing as late as the 6th cent. BCE that the sun was a wheel
or a disk, and people were routinely depicting and refering to the sun
as such.

Wikipedia says Anaxagoras (~500-~428 BC) decided it was made of
flaming metal, but I don't have my history of astronomy textbook handy
so I can't check whether there were earlier ones.

Thank you. Apparently this was an heretical idea at the time, as the
Wikipedia goes on to say "Anaxagoras' views on such things as heavenly
bodies were considered 'dangerous'.

Now, I can't help but wonder whether Babylonian, Indian or Egyptian
knowledge of the Sun was more or less advanced than Anaxagoras'.
Old February 4th 10, 09:30 PM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Dan Birchall[_3_]

wrote:

(Thomas Radner) wrote:
I was wondering if anyone here could tell me when people
first realized that the sun was a fiery ball, since Anaximander was
still theorizing as late as the 6th cent. BCE that the sun was a wheel
or a disk, and people were routinely depicting and refering to the sun
as such.

Wikipedia says Anaxagoras (~500-~428 BC) decided it was made of
flaming metal, but I don't have my history of astronomy textbook handy
so I can't check whether there were earlier ones.

Thank you. Apparently this was an heretical idea at the time, as the
Wikipedia goes on to say "Anaxagoras' views on such things as heavenly
bodies were considered 'dangerous'.

Now, I can't help but wonder whether Babylonian, Indian or Egyptian
knowledge of the Sun was more or less advanced than Anaxagoras'.

Got home and got my textbook (The Cambridge Concise History of Astronomy,
Ed. Michael Hoskin). In skimming over it, I was surprised how focused
its coverage of ancient astronomy is on celestial mechanics and
calendars, as opposed to cosmology.

It puts forth Anaximander of Miletus (~610-~545 BC) as thinking of stars
"as wheel-like condensations of air filled with fire, with openings
through which flames were discharged." So that might slightly predate
Anaxagoras, although Hoskins notes this is what people writing about
Anaximander centuries later say he believed; presumably we don't have
original writing by him.

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall, Night Operation Assistant, Subaru Telescope/NAOJ.
naoj | Views I express are my own, obviously not those of my employer.
Old February 5th 10, 08:20 PM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Thomas Radner

wrote:

(Thomas Radner) wrote:
[...]

Thanks for looking this up for me, Dan. I can add that some time
between the end of the 6th century BCE and the beginning of the 5th
century BCE, Heraclitus theorized that the sun was a hollow basin that
ignited when it rose:

"On rising from the earth moist exhalations are caught in a hollow
basin with its cavity turned towards the earth and are ignited as this
basin rises from the sea in the east, to be afterwards extinguished
when it sets in the west. In this way the sun is produced, and as the
sun is constantly renewed"

So, the notion that the sun was a fiery ball had apparently still not
entered into the minds of prototypal Gk astronomers even at this
relatively late date.

Old February 17th 10, 06:06 PM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
bert

wrote:

(Thomas Radner) wrote:
[...]

relatively late date.- Hide quoted text -

Two better questions are Who first knew Sun were a medium star?. #2
Who first knew stars are Fusion balls? TreBert
Old February 20th 10, 01:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
bert

wrote:

(Thomas Radner) wrote:
[...]

Who first knew stars are Fusion balls? * TreBert- Hide quoted text -

Feynman when he visited Hoover Dam said this. "For every drop of
water that falls an electron will move." TreBert
Old June 14th 10, 03:08 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Painius Painius is offline
Banned

Thomas Radner wrote in message...

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me when people
first realized that the sun was a fiery ball, since Anaximander was
still theorizing as late as the 6th cent. BCE that the sun was a wheel
or a disk, and people were routinely depicting and refering to the sun
as such.

Thanks very much in advance for the info.

Maybe never, since the Sun is not a fiery ball. Fire
requires oxygen to burn. There is very little oxygen
in the Sun (about 0.8%), so no fire.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine Ellsworth

P.S.: "Personally I'm always ready to learn,
although I do not always like being taught."
Winston Churchill

P.P.S.: http://www.painellsworth.net
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Paine_Ellsworth

Old June 15th 10, 04:39 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Barry Schwarz[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 22:08:31 -0400, "Painius"
wrote:

Thomas Radner wrote in message...
.. .

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me when people
first realized that the sun was a fiery ball, since Anaximander was
still theorizing as late as the 6th cent. BCE that the sun was a wheel
or a disk, and people were routinely depicting and refering to the sun
as such.

Thanks very much in advance for the info.

Maybe never, since the Sun is not a fiery ball. Fire
requires oxygen to burn. There is very little oxygen

Not really. I don't know what they teach now but my high school lab
demonstrated combustion in chlorine gas.

in the Sun (about 0.8%), so no fire.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Remove del for email
Old June 24th 10, 07:07 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Painius Painius is offline
Banned

"Barry Schwarz" wrote...
in message ...
wrote:
Thomas Radner wrote in message...
. ..

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me when people
first realized that the sun was a fiery ball, since Anaximander was
still theorizing as late as the 6th cent. BCE that the sun was a wheel
or a disk, and people were routinely depicting and refering to the sun
as such.

Thanks very much in advance for the info.

Maybe never, since the Sun is not a fiery ball. Fire
requires oxygen to burn. There is very little oxygen

Not really. I don't know what they teach now but my high school lab
demonstrated combustion in chlorine gas.

Barry ! Good to see you !

Does this mean that what we see "burning" when we
look at images of the Sun is chlorine? I read that this
element is created in supernovas and is abundant in
many stars, including our Sun.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine Ellsworth

P.S. "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be
understood. Now is the time to understand more,
so that we may fear less."
Marie Curie--chemist & physicist

P.P.S.: http://www.painellsworth.net
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Paine_Ellsworth

A Ball, a Dog, and a Monkey gb[_2_] History 0 September 19th 07 03:38 AM
odd ball T.Rains Amateur Astronomy 0 September 15th 05 12:40 AM
My Pulse Fusion To Be Realized in 2010 G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 8 June 9th 05 11:48 AM
Observing - Darn, Darn, Darn! I just realized.... Mark Smith Amateur Astronomy 7 June 7th 04 11:38 PM
Can Bush's plans be realized? Dr. O Policy 37 January 22nd 04 10:27 PM