generational markers (was "Disney's Man In Space")

Old May 27th 04, 09:54 PM
OM

On Thu, 27 May 2004 11:42:01 -0500, Herb Schaltegger
wrote:

Oooh, oooh, oooh! I had one of those, too! I got mine circa 1974 or
so. When I lost the S-I due to a terrible staging accident in the back
of my grandfather's car involving my sister and an open window, I was
heartbroken. But wasn't the spring-loaded CSM-stack ejector at the top
of the S-IV?

....It might have been. It's been so ****ing long since I've seen one
of those that I can't recall right now. I tried doing a google search
for one, but nothing came up.

I also had a pair of yellow (!!!) injection-molded Polaris subs (George
Washington class, I think, in retrospect) that you could put these
little fizzing Alka-Seltzer-like tablets into to make them surface and
dive.

....I had a pair of frogmen like that, but they never worked as well as
the Polaris subs did. They mostly stayed about halfway underneath the
water until the AS ran out and they sank like rocks.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 27th 04, 10:03 PM
Hop David

Mike Flugennock wrote:
My wife claims the generational marker between "early Boomers" and "late
Boomers" is that "early Boomers" saw "The Wizard Of Oz" for the first time
in a theater instead of on TV.

So, I'm just looking at some of the old books and art from the books from
the 1957-60 period at http://sun3.lib.uci.edu/~jsisson/1957-1960.htm and
just wondering if perhaps there was a "generational marker" among those of
us who grew up in the early Space Age.

Do you recall the Chevys with the tail fins and brake lights shaped to
look like rocket flames?

It seems to me Marvel burst on the scene around that time. I recall
checking out the usual Superman, Batman, Flash and Green Lantern and
then being stunned by the efforts of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Buscema.
Reed Richards, Ben Grimm and Johnny and Sue Storm acquiring their powers
via cosmic rays while on the moon somehow seemed to fit in with whatever
was in the air those days. Also Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

And Ken Kesey was throwing his Kool Aid parties.

Those days had the flavor of a good stout German beer. In comparison
these days are Coors Light. Damn, I'm sounding like an old curmudgeon .

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old May 27th 04, 10:12 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...This isn't the first time I've heard this, Patrick. Care to explain
why this kit's that rare?

I have no idea; I saw it listed as that in the short-lived Airspace
Modeler magazine back in the early 70's
I had never even heard of it before that.

Trivia question: Care to guess which model was the first one OM ever
had? It's a trick one, I'll warn you...

Not a clue....you didn't have a F-107, did you? Mine was a snap-together
HO scale radio station IIRC.

Pat

Old May 27th 04, 10:57 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-05-27, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:

...I had a pair of frogmen like that, but they never worked as well as
the Polaris subs did. They mostly stayed about halfway underneath the
water until the AS ran out and they sank like rocks.

I've known hungover divers. This sounds pretty authentic...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old May 27th 04, 11:07 PM
Steve at fivetrees

"Hop David" wrote in message

And Ken Kesey was throwing his Kool Aid parties.

IIRC that was a few years later (mid 60s), although Kesey met the Magic
Ingredient in the 50s as a lab rat (hence Cuckoo's Nest).

I met Kesey a few years ago, shortly before he died, when he came over to
the UK with the bus (or a replica thereof) for the eclipse... I have a stack
of photos if you're interested...

Talking of lysergics, was Arthur Brown (http://www.godofhellfire.co.uk, one
of my sites) well-known in the US in the 60s?

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Old May 27th 04, 11:15 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On 2004-05-27, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:

...I had a pair of frogmen like that, but they never worked as well as
the Polaris subs did. They mostly stayed about halfway underneath the
water until the AS ran out and they sank like rocks.

I've known hungover divers. This sounds pretty authentic...

I've *been* a hungover diver. It *is* authentic . . . :-)

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old May 28th 04, 01:03 AM
Derek Lyons

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:
"Mike Flugennock" wrote in message

So, you skipped a calculus class to do orbital mechanics calculations?

Can't say I was as diligent, but I recall skipping class to watch the
scrubbed STS-1 launch.

Walked into school several hours late. Teacher only asked one question:
"Did it launch?" They all knew where I had been and why. They weren't
going to hassle me about it.

nods I was a geek hero because my Dad wrote me notes to cover my
absences for both the scrubbed and sucessful launch.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old May 28th 04, 01:09 AM
Derek Lyons

"Terrell Miller" wrote:

"Allen Thomson" wrote in message
. com...

I was born 10 years and 1 day after the Pearl Harbor attack.

I was born nine months and one week after the JFK assassination...

I was born two weeks to the day before. Family legend has it that I
turned out so weird because my Mother dropped me on my head when she
heard the news. (It's legend because I spent my first three months in
what passed then for an incubator, born preemie with a full blown case
of pneumonia... Some say it's a miracle I survived, others claim it's
a curse. YMMV.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old May 28th 04, 01:24 AM
Derek Lyons

"Dave Tenney" wrote:
One of my earliest clear memories is of my mother waking me up one night and
taking me into her room where the good TV was so I could see men walking on
the moon. I was too young to really get it at the time, but it may just have
been Apollo 11.

Lordy... I haven't heard that one in a looong time... 'The Good TV'
(color console) as opposed to the 'TV the kids were allowed to touch'
(B&W, and took fifteen minuted to warm up.)

Another memory: My mom was an Avon rep for a while and one of their products
was a kids shampoo that came in a bottle shaped like a CSM. Included with
the shampoo was a board game that used the empty bottle for part of the
game. What you did was place the included LM on top of the shampoo bottle
(think CSM/LM docked configuration) and then you launched the LM by pressing
down the accordian shaped base of the bottle. The side of the LM that landed
up would tell you how many squares to move. The game board was an
illustration of the earth and the moon with the play path being a genreric
Apollo flight. (Start at launch, move to orbit, then TLI, then LOI, then
descent and landing, then ascent and rendezvous, then TEI, reentry, and
splashdown. First one back from the moon wins.
I wish I had kept that game. Does anyone else remember anything like that?

Yep. My Mom got me that one around 2nd grade or so. Used the back of
the board to map out and follow the planned traverses of (IIRC) 14 or
15.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old May 28th 04, 01:45 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Dave Tenney" wrote:
One of my earliest clear memories is of my mother waking me up one night

and
taking me into her room where the good TV was so I could see men walking

on
the moon. I was too young to really get it at the time, but it may just

have
been Apollo 11.

Lordy... I haven't heard that one in a looong time... 'The Good TV'
(color console) as opposed to the 'TV the kids were allowed to touch'
(B&W, and took fifteen minuted to warm up.)

Actually warming up wasn't the best part.

It was shutting it down and watching the screen go to a straight light...
then the line collapse to a dot... and then the dot fade away.

[...]

Wow, I think I remember that from even later in the 70s.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.