Phillips ToUCam Pro II 840 WOES!

Old September 5th 04, 07:43 PM
9K4

Default Phillips ToUCam Pro II 840 WOES!

None of the Phillips links at Cloudy Nights work either. I did find one
German site with 840 driver complaints calling Phillips stupid for its lack
of 840 support, and a link to an XP driver, but that link did not work
either.
I could find no Phillips 840 support site. But many vendors selling the 840
on
the net. I guess you are on your own. I would return the product since there

clearly are driver problems and no support from Phillips, whatever their
status is now. Phillips is obviously flooding the market with these things
but then disappearing?

George

Same Old **** wrote:

Received my new ProII 840 and guess what, the driver doesn't load on
any of my computers (win98, win2000, winXP). So I went on the web
only to find page after page of complaints. Guess Im not alone. Everyone
is
having grief with the drivers not loading or working. I didnt need this!

So, shame on you Phillips and Scopetronix for knowingly selling a bad
product. I say knowingly because the problem has been evident to the
world for months, and still they sell this .... and if you think Im out
of my
box complaining, you ought to read some of the critical pages on the
net!

Where were you SAA when I needed you!

Steve.

Old September 5th 04, 10:29 PM
md

"9K4" wrote in message ...
Same Old **** wrote:

[...]

really odd story, I have a toucam pro 2 840. It works with all my pc's, one is running XP, the
others win98. I used the drivers that came with the cam. you must be doing something wrong.
--
md

Old September 5th 04, 11:31 PM
Paul Hyndman

Ummmm... you DO realize that ToUcam models currently available in the US of
A are not sent here by Philips but are specifically imported by
astro-weenies and their astro-stores... n'est pas?

Ergo, you will not find support for them on the US website, but there is a
sh*t-load of information on sites for those countries which ARE authorized
for sales. Assuming from the posting that english is an acceptable language
for you, here ya' go:

http://tinyurl.com/52mlz

Among other things there, you'll find:

Drivers Windows XP Professional
Drivers Windows XP
Drivers Windows ME
Drivers Windows 95
Drivers Windows 98
Drivers Windows 2000

If still stuck, you could also hit the egroups:

The only difficulty I've had with my now aging ToUcam Pro II 840, was a loss
of signal due to a break in the line at the base of the unit from constant
flexure... two minutes with a soldering iron and I was back in business!

Hope this helps... the ToUcam is a fun little camera!

--- http://www.astro-nut.com ---

Old September 6th 04, 06:28 AM
S.O.S.

2nd try different browser and your url came up. I got the exe driver file
and will try it. I really appreciate the help and the url.

Odd that two nights of Googling did not bring this url up.

Thanks again.
Steve

Old September 6th 04, 07:10 PM
Carsten A. Arnholm

Hi,

I am afraid you are missing the obvious.

Just plug your ToUcam into the USB port of your XP machine. No driver
installation required. XP comes with a built-in ToUcam driver (and Vesta
driver too). I have done this with several machines, it works and it cannot
be simpler.

--
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://arnholm.org/

Old September 6th 04, 10:35 PM
Thad Floryan

"S.O.S." wrote in message ...
2nd try different browser and your url came up. I got the exe driver file
and will try it. I really appreciate the help and the url.

Odd that two nights of Googling did not bring this url up.

Google's search engine has deteriorated badly over the past several months as
I'm noticing more and more frequently.

As just one "for instance", earlier this year I was able to refer people to one
web site concerning Rolamite simply by telling people to do a Google search
using the phrase "rolamite inventor".

For the past 4-5 months the inventor's site doesn't even appear in the search
results at all (only 9 "matches") and I now have to give people the explicit
http://www.rexresearch.com/wilkes/1wilkes.htm

Google is gradually becoming useless searching for other things, too.
Old September 6th 04, 10:36 PM
md

"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:
Hi,

I am afraid you are missing the obvious.

Just plug your ToUcam into the USB port of your XP machine. No driver
installation required. XP comes with a built-in ToUcam driver (and Vesta
driver too). I have done this with several machines, it works and it cannot
be simpler.

Worked for me.

same here....
my win98 machines needed the drivers that came with the cam. no problems at all.
--
md

Old September 9th 04, 06:52 AM
Honest John

Its not a driver that comes from windows but usb files. The driver is
on the Philips software. What is happening here is the Philips driver is being
installed on your computer but it cant find a usb path and especially usb2
which the 840 software was written to expect to see and use. And failing to find usb2
since your machine is win98, it then looks for any usb path - it then
needs the windows install disk to discover where any usb port is, it files,
path, etc.

When you tried to install the 840 software in win98 or 2000 here is what happened. The
driver installed first and it looked like that was what was
hapenning, and in fact the driver was installing and did instal. Then came something
called VCheck and this is where everything bombed? Im sure this was the case, because
VCheck wont even activate until the driver has been installed.

The installed driver now needs a usb port, and VCheck activates to finish that
task. In the case of XP, VCheck finds usb2 right off because XP supports
usb2. In win98, usb2 does not exist. Only usb1 exist in win98and 2000.
So you are using win98 or 2000 and VCheck cannot find usb2, it looks for any usb port,
so it asks for the windows install disks where it can search for specific usb file
names and locations .... to build a working path to any usb port which in the case of
Win98 is usb1.

That is why you /must/ supply the win98 or win2000 instal disks, or
locate all of the usb files on your OS, or upload the usb files on to your computer -
and one on the Yahoo ToUcam Group is now trying to assemble all of those files just
for this purpose, so new users with the 840 can now get up on win98and 2000.

The guy MD who says he just loaded the 840 instal disk into win98 and it
worked right off is lying, especially if he used the Philips 840 v.1.02
install disk which requires usb2. What he isnt telling - notice he never
came back to explain his miracle - is he was asked at VCheck to supply
the win98 instal disk, he had one to instal, and he popped it in when Phil VCheck
asked for it, and that is how his no-effort miracle occurred. Anything else is
impossible unless he is not using v1.02 but some earlier version I
dont know about. MD may not even know what he did but just followed instructions, and
then comes here to give his no-effort report without telling
the whole story. But he had the win98 instal disk to use, which you dont.

What some people are bitching about is that the usb files are not included
in Philips v1.02 install subpart win98, or 2000, etc. so that no instal disk is
required.

It is worth noting that usb2 on XP does support a faster broader bandwidth
passthrough the 840 is supposedly designed to take advantage of for
cleaner faster imaging. Obviously, one would opt for XP and usb2 if you
could aquire it somehow. And XP and usb2 may soon become the standard
if it hasnt already. Many will say it is already the standard.

Im sure Ive made some mistakes in what I write above - but none that are
crucial that I know about.

Paul

"R.Mc" wrote:

did you have to insert the Windows-98 disk when the 840 software
asked for it? That's where the driver came from, because there are no
drivers on the software compatible with Windows-98. If you doubt this
ask at the Yahoo 840 group. Please explain.

Bob