Fireball at dusk in Upstate NY - 3/11

Old March 12th 07, 04:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Ruscher

Default Fireball at dusk in Upstate NY - 3/11

I was wondering if anyone else happened to be looking west at around 8 pm,
and saw this brilliant meteor skipping through the atmosphere and breaking
up. It started just below Venus and ended near the horizen in the W - SW. A
bright orange glowing head leaving a blue - green tail that lingered for a
few seconds after the meteor had vanished. It was definately one of my top
5 best meteors ! We were driving westbound on the NY State Thruway near
Utica.

Bill Ruscher Jr.

Old March 12th 07, 05:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:25:16 -0400, "William Ruscher"
wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else happened to be looking west at around 8 pm,
and saw this brilliant meteor skipping through the atmosphere and breaking
up. It started just below Venus and ended near the horizen in the W - SW. A
bright orange glowing head leaving a blue - green tail that lingered for a
few seconds after the meteor had vanished. It was definately one of my top
5 best meteors ! We were driving westbound on the NY State Thruway near
Utica.

I've received a number of reports. Yours is the farthest east; the
farthest west is Skokie, IL. That's 640 miles apart. It looks like the
fireball was traveling mainly north to south (maybe a little west to
east) over Michigan's Lower Peninsula, and terminated close to Detroit.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old March 12th 07, 01:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
TR Oltrogge

"William Ruscher" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone else happened to be looking west at around 8 pm,
and saw this brilliant meteor skipping through the atmosphere and breaking
up. It started just below Venus and ended near the horizen in the W - SW.
A bright orange glowing head leaving a blue - green tail that lingered for
a few seconds after the meteor had vanished. It was definately one of my
top 5 best meteors ! We were driving westbound on the NY State Thruway
near Utica.

Bill Ruscher Jr.

Right about 8PM I was driving west-northwest down the street where I live 15
miles south of Pittsburgh, PA when I saw a bright bluish-green fireball
straight ahead of me just above the horizon. I did not see any long trail so
I don't know from what direction it was coming from. It was there for about
two seconds. I mentioned this to my wife but by the time she looked it was
gone. I agree, it was one of the brightest meteors I've seen.

Tim Oltrogge