Through the Wormhole : Double-slit experiment

Old January 25th 12, 02:05 AM posted to alt.astronomy
metspitzer

Default Through the Wormhole : Double-slit experiment

I was watching another explanation of Wave-particle duality on the
show "Through the Wormhole. The show shows a wave pattern on the
screen then they show a crude drawing of someone putting a detector
beside the slits and just doing that causes the photons to go through
one slit or another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwO2N7cr7Yo

Why don't they show the actual experiment that demonstrates how the
experiment changes just by putting a detector beside the slits changes
the pattern?

BTW there seems to be no active quantum Usenet group.
Old January 25th 12, 01:08 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2[_2_]

On Jan 24, 9:05*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I was watching another explanation of Wave-particle duality on the
show "Through the Wormhole. *The show shows a wave pattern on the
screen then they show a crude drawing of someone putting a detector
beside the slits and just doing that causes the photons to go through
one slit or another.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwO2N7cr7Yo

Why don't they show the actual experiment that demonstrates how the
experiment changes just by putting a detector beside the slits changes
the pattern?

BTW there seems to be no active quantum Usenet group.

Slit shows that particles travel in pairs. They hit the screen
separated by that sharp edge,but still in comunication with one
another so they will get back in formation almost instantly. Its
simple so it must be reality TreBert
Old January 25th 12, 02:29 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Androcles[_68_]

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
|I was watching another explanation of Wave-particle duality on the
| show "Through the Wormhole. The show shows a wave pattern on the
| screen then they show a crude drawing of someone putting a detector
| beside the slits and just doing that causes the photons to go through
| one slit or another.
| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwO2N7cr7Yo
|
| Why don't they show the actual experiment that demonstrates how the
| experiment changes just by putting a detector beside the slits changes
| the pattern?

Because it's hocus pocus.

Old January 25th 12, 02:39 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jan 24, 6:05*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I was watching another explanation of Wave-particle duality on the
show "Through the Wormhole. *The show shows a wave pattern on the
screen then they show a crude drawing of someone putting a detector
beside the slits and just doing that causes the photons to go through
one slit or another.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwO2N7cr7Yo

Why don't they show the actual experiment that demonstrates how the
experiment changes just by putting a detector beside the slits changes
the pattern?

BTW there seems to be no active quantum Usenet group.

There's lots of quantum stuff as in in Usenet/newsgroups, but you have
to understand that outsiders are not welcome, and all K-12s are
systematically banished regardless of their topics or replies.

If a standing wave that doesn't actually move can still manage to
transfer its energy, then why do photon waves have to individually
travel or propagate?

http://translate.google.com/#
Old January 25th 12, 05:11 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

YOU ARE SIMPLY SENILE, BEERT!

Saul Levy

Old January 25th 12, 06:39 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius[_1_] Painius[_1_] is offline
Banned

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:05:18 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

I was watching another explanation of Wave-particle duality on the
show "Through the Wormhole. The show shows a wave pattern on the
screen then they show a crude drawing of someone putting a detector
beside the slits and just doing that causes the photons to go through
one slit or another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwO2N7cr7Yo

Why don't they show the actual experiment that demonstrates how the
experiment changes just by putting a detector beside the slits changes
the pattern?

They show an illustration of the actual experiment's outcome. And
that demonstrates how the outcome of the experiment changes just by
putting a detector near the slits.

So there must be something about the proximity of the detector,
something about the detector itself, perhaps, that causes the wave
pattern to change to the particle pattern. My own personal guess,
since magnetic force and electronic force have both been ruled out,
and since we still know very little about fields of gravitation, my
guess is that the detector possesses a tiny gravitational field that
forces the particle back into particle mode and out of wave mode.

BTW there seems to be no active quantum Usenet group.

This is it!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine @ http://astronomy.painellsworth.net/
Old January 25th 12, 06:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Antares 531

wrote:

[...]

What would happen if they were to place an identical detector at an
identical location relative to each slit. Which detector would shoo
the fly away and make it go through the other slit?
Old January 25th 12, 07:11 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

You are assuming that individual photons individually move, so right
there it gets somewhat problematic.

http://translate.google.com/#
Old January 25th 12, 07:55 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Antares 531

wrote:

[...]

My thinking is that photons aren't in the form of a discrete little
entity of condensed energy, but, are a somewhat smeared out smudge of
energy made up of fields such as gravity, electromagnetic, and some
other fields that we haven't yet figured out. If this smudge of energy
approaches a slit, the path it will take through the slit will be
determined by the way those smudged out fields interact with the slit
and any other material that may be in the region. This could be many
things...but, we don't know what those things are.
Old January 25th 12, 08:10 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Exactly, but it's fun to speculate and try to make sense of how the
known universe came to be, and how it is affected by its composition
that happens to include us humans that seems to have developed a LLPOF
disposition because that's so much easier than dealing with the whole
truth and nothing but the truth.

http://translate.google.com/#

#8 experiment to show that the galaxies are a Double Slit [email protected] Astronomy Misc 3 May 7th 08 06:01 PM
DOUBLE SLIT EXPERIMENT Pentcho Valev Astronomy Misc 1 August 8th 07 01:50 PM
Toward understanding the Double Slit Experiment, pt. 1 greysky Misc 91 September 16th 06 01:42 PM
Toward understanding the Double Slit Experiment, pt. 1 G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 0 August 10th 06 12:44 PM
The two slit experiment. Zdenek Jizba Astronomy Misc 6 November 17th 04 04:47 AM