NASA or Private Companies?

Old July 24th 06, 10:27 PM posted to sci.space.station
AugerIn

Default NASA or Private Companies?

NASA or Private Companies?

I vote for private business to take over our space future
here in America.

The Federal Government who lately on their resume show
Katrina, 2 lost shuttles, huge cost overruns, politically
correct rather than qualification hiring, social engineering
disasters plus switching gears each 4 years has in my humble
opinion lost it.

Many Americans don't trust our Government for anything any
longer. NASA should fade away and allow private space
ventures and entrepreneurship. The Federal Government in
charge of anything is becoming a joke in America.

LAS VEGAS, Nevada – Radical surgery is needed on NASA’s
vision for space exploration of the Moon, Mars and beyond,
according to a study released today by the Space Frontier
Foundation—a space advocacy group based in Nyack, New York.

The assessment calls for immediate elimination of all work
on the block 1 version of NASA’s Crew Exploration Vehicle
(CEV) and to delay the shuttle program-derived Crew Launch
Vehicle (CLV)—a solid-rocket booster design now escalating
in cost—while reconsidering the Atlas 5 and Delta 4 launchers.

The policy white paper issued today is titled: “Unaffordable
and Unsustainable—NASA’s failing Earth-to-orbit
Transportation Strategy.” The group contends that NASA plans
are flawed, prescribing as a fix far greater use of
America’s “New Space” industry that is energized by free
enterprise and entrepreneurship.

Over the past 30 months, NASA has made fundamental errors in
its implementation of President George W. Bush’s Vision for
Space Exploration enunciated in January 2004. There is
urgent need, the Space Frontier Foundation’s white paper
states, to force NASA to decisively transform its
relationship with the private sector.

Opening salvo

“We’ve put a lot of time into this … and we do believe the
study will have an impact,” said Jeff Krukin, Executive
Director of the Space Frontier Foundation. “Think of this as
an opening salvo in a long term strategy … a long-term
campaign,” he told SPACE.com.

The 18-page policy white paper recommends that the White
House and Congress should specify, as a matter of policy
and/or law, that NASA cannot develop, build, own or operate
a new vehicle for crew or cargo missions to the
International Space Station or to other parts of low Earth
orbit. For those missions, NASA must buy a service from U.S.
companies.
Old July 24th 06, 11:25 PM posted to sci.space.station
Craig Fink

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:27:42 -0400, AugerIn wrote:

[...]

Here, here, write your Congress Person, take a vacation to Washington, see
the sites and visit them in person. Tell them what you think.

Get NASA out of the Earth to LEO business.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old July 25th 06, 12:08 PM posted to sci.space.station
[email protected][_1_]

AugerIn wrote:
I vote for private business to take over our space future
here in America.

The Federal Government who lately on their resume show
Katrina, 2 lost shuttles, huge cost overruns, politically
correct rather than qualification hiring, social engineering
disasters plus switching gears each 4 years has in my humble
opinion lost it.

What makes you think that private business will be better? In the same
timeframe you mentioned, we have had such American corporate highlights
as:

Worldcom (2002) $103,914,000,000
Enron (2001) $63,392,000,000
Conseco (2002) $61,392,000,000
Texaco (1987) $35,892,000,000
Financial Corp of America (1988) $33,864,000,000
Global Crossing (2002) $30,185,000,000
UAL (2002) $25,197,000,000
Adelphia Communications (2002) $21,499,000,000
Pacific Gas and Electric Co. (2001) $21,470,000,000
MCorp (1989) $20,228,000,000
Mirant Corporation (2003) $19,415,000,000
First Executive Corp. (1991) $15,193,000,000
Gibraltar Financial Corp. (1990) $15,011,000,000
Kmart Corp. (2002) $14,600,000,000
FINOVA Group (2001) $14,050,000,000
HomeFed Corp. (1992) $13,885,000,000
Southeast Banking Corporation (1991) $13,390,000,000
NTL, Inc. (2002) $13,003,000,000
Reliance Group Holdings (2001) $12,598,000,000
Imperial Corp. of America (1990) $12,263,000,000
Federal-Mogul Corp (2001) $10,150,000,000
[etc...]

Private companies in space don't exactly have a shining record either.
Iridium had to be bailed out by the US government. SpaceX was "on
schedule for first launch Dec 2003". TransOrbital seems to have died
in its sleep.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Old July 25th 06, 12:58 PM posted to sci.space.station
Monte Davis Monte Davis is offline
Senior Member

wrote:

What makes you think that private business will be better?

I thought we didn't discuss religion in this ng :-)
Old July 25th 06, 01:46 PM posted to sci.space.station
Craig Fink

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 04:08:27 -0700, neil.fraser wrote:

AugerIn wrote:
[...]

Your list is of "public" companies, not "private" companies. SpaceX is
a private company. Iridium went broke, they weren't bailed out by anybody.
Assets were purchased for pennies on the dollar by another company. The US
government benefited immensely from the bankruptcy, it wasn't a liability
to the US government like some public companies have been in the past.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old July 25th 06, 03:16 PM posted to sci.space.station
RedStatePatriot

wrote:
AugerIn wrote:

[...]

Back in the 1960's I would have placed all my faith in NASA

Now that the "Guvment" culture is Anti-White male and
focused on kissing the black ass I don't have much faith in
ANY Government organization.

Political Correctness supersedes qualifications now in our
Federal Government

Kissing the black and homosexual ass is the priority now