Dealing with the mentally ill in the newsgroups

Old July 18th 03, 10:11 PM
Jen

Default Dealing with the mentally ill in the newsgroups

what is the difference between insane and psycho?

"Nomen Nescio" wrote in message
Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:

Alan Erskine wrote:

Idiots like John Novikoff are the reason I _can't_ ignore
this.

He's not an idiot. He's responding to a stupid post.

delurk

True, and if after all this time you still can't tell that the idiot is
Alan and you still insist on arguing with him, the same might apply to you
and anyone else who hasn't been able to figure out yet that Alan has some
kind of serious mental illness. There also seems to be some degree of
mental retardation, from the contents and pattern of his posts. It's
obvious he's a target of these insulting posts because he works very hard
to make himself a target. Oh well wasting my time really so I'm going

back
to lurking. Time to adjust my killfilters. I hadn't put Alan in yet
because deep down inside I have sympathy for the mentally ill, but this

guy
is not just insane, he's a psycho too, probably worse than the troll
forging him.

killfilters updated

/delurk

Old July 18th 03, 10:26 PM
lt

"Jen" wrote in message

what is the difference between insane and psycho?

Psychos top-post.

Old July 18th 03, 11:03 PM
Joe Walther

"Jen" wrote in message
what is the difference between insane and psycho?

Walther responds...

"Insane" is a legal term, not a medical term.

Walther

Old July 18th 03, 11:50 PM
Winsor Naugler III

Jen" wrote:
So, there's more than one kind of insanity?

Very much so. Unfortunately, the only useful definition is legal, and
revolves around the ability to distinguish "right" from "wrong" (two wrongs
don't make a right - three lefts do). Medically it as about as specific a
diagnosis as is "crazy."

"Sanos," as I understand it, is the root word, being Greek for "clean."
Whether the condition of insanity refers to unclean thinking or feelings I
don't rightly know, and I'm not sure where might be the line of demarcation
between the two.

On the same note, "sober" sounds suspiciously like "sauber," which is German
for "clean."

Anyhow, the medical classifications of mental illness are about as hard and
fast as are popular music genres. Some are definitive fads, some turn out
to be classics, some are forgotten and rediscovered and so forth.

The typical therapist is usually in therapy, so it is rather a case of the
blind leading the blind. I suppose I have to admire someone who turns an
overwhelming disability into a lucrative career (reminiscent of "Amazon
Women on the Moon"), but casual perusal of the literature shows the bulk of
psychiatric "knowledge" to have been suspect at best - and downright
bull**** more often than not - throughout its recorded history. This is
hardly surprising, given those who have been fascinated enough with mental
illness to make its study a career have not been too tightly wrapped
themselves.

Regardless, even if the explanation of the pathos is on a par with a
description of phrenology, N-rays, phlogiston or caloric theory, the fact
that the patient is FUBAR is a reality.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Old July 18th 03, 11:53 PM
Alan Erskine

"Jen" wrote in message
what is the difference between insane and psycho?

"Nomen Nescio" wrote in message

Jen, simply send an email to "Nomen Nescio" and see if you get a response.
In all probability, the email will bounce as this coward is using Dizum and
doesn't have the courage to use their real name and email address.

You can also send me an email using my email address
(alanerskine[at]optusnet.com.au) and I will respond.

That should tell you who is the one with the mental illness as coward's are
ususally the one's with the mental condition.

By the way, I didn't see the post from "Nomen Nescio" as I have killfiled
dizum - they're just not worth it and are used almost exclusively by
spammers, trolls and cowards (dare I add "and the mentally ill"?.

--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

Old July 21st 03, 08:41 PM
dave schneider

"Jen" wrote in with:
So, there's more than one kind of insanity?

The following might be a useful link, for a very accessible and
thoughtful radio program (ummm, both? now there's a trick you don't
see very often!)

http://www.infinitemind.com/

By coincidence, the current program title I saw there just now was,
"Mental Illness and the Media", but I don't know if they address
folk-media like Usenet.

/dps
]