MER Raw Image Naming System

Old January 26th 04, 02:41 PM
mlm

Default MER Raw Image Naming System

Can anyone shed light on the naming system JPL uses for their raw image
filenames? This is what I have figured out on my own:

Eg: 2 P 126553081 ESF 0200 P 2100 L6 M1 .JPG

2 = MER-2 (Spirit aka MER-A)

P = Pancam

9-digit decimal number = seconds since Jan 1, 2000
so: '126553081' would be 4-Jan-04 17:36. (4 hours slow though ??)

ESF/EFF/EDS = ? -- I note EFF is the predominant type; files are larger

4-digit decimal number = ? ('0200' in this case)

P = ?

4-digit decimal number = ? ('2100' in this case)

L = Left 'eye'
6 = Filter number 6

M1 = ? (I don't think Mer-1, as that is Opportunity)

Thanks for any insight.

Mark

PS Thanks v. much Joe for filter information...

"Joe Knapp" wrote in
gy.com:

There is in that collection a series of shots of the color wheel, with
file names:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...53017ESF0200P2
100L2M1.JPG

That is a series of three shots, from MER 1 (M1), left camera (L),
filters L2, L5 and L6 which is roughly red, green, blue.

Old January 26th 04, 08:00 PM
Joe Knapp

"mlm" wrote in message

Can anyone shed light on the naming system JPL uses for their raw image
filenames? This is what I have figured out on my own:
ESF/EFF/EDS = ? -- I note EFF is the predominant type; files are larger

Very good reverse engineering! As for the acronyms above, this is a guess,
but the rovers can do a few preprocessing steps before compressing the
images for transmission:
Flat field correction (EFF?): The MER flight software includes the
capability to remove the low-frequency flat-field falloff that occurs near
the edges of the camera images. This intensity falloff is removed by
applying an angularly dependent, cubic correction function to the image
data.

Subframing (ESF?): When acquiring images, it is often the case where only a
specific portion of the image is of interest. For these cases, the flight
software allows the option to extract and downlink a subframed region of the
image. This subframing option allows full resolution data to be downlinked
at a lower data volume than a full image and is expected to be used
extensively. The user specifies a choice of hardware and/or software
subframing techniques.

Image Downsampling (EDN?): All MER images can be spatially downsampled to a
user-specified image size using a user-specified hardware or software
downsampling technique. The software techniques include nearest neighbor
computation of the mean, computation of the mean with outlier rejection, and
median averaging. The hardware techniques include the 4 1 binning option
described earlier. Image downsampling will be heavily used during the
surface mission for both engineering and science purposes due to the
significant reduction in downlink volume over a full-size image. The
autonomous surface navigation system will rely on the 4 1 hardware binning
capability to acquire images in rapid fashion.

For example, consider:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0P2302L2M1.JPG red

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0P2302L5M1.JPG
green

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0P2302L6M1.JPG
blue

That's three photos of the same scene, with the EDN pics being 1:4 the size
of the EFF pic. According to a camera document: "The approach for such a
panorama will be to acquire red-filter images at full resolution in both
eyes, along with green- and blue-filter images at reduced resolution (using
compression and/or downsampling) in the left eye."

Old January 27th 04, 04:10 PM
mlm

"Joe Knapp" wrote in
gy.com:

"mlm" wrote in message

Can anyone shed light on the naming system JPL uses for their raw
image filenames? This is what I have figured out on my own:
ESF/EFF/EDS = ? -- I note EFF is the predominant type; files are
larger

For example, consider:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...52133EFF0200P2
302L2M1.JPG red

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...52167EDN0200P2
302L5M1.JPG green

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...52191EDN0200P2
302L6M1.JPG blue

That's three photos of the same scene, with the EDN pics being 1:4 the
size of the EFF pic. According to a camera document: "The approach
for such a panorama will be to acquire red-filter images at full
resolution in both eyes, along with green- and blue-filter images at
reduced resolution (using compression and/or downsampling) in the left
eye."

That makes sense. Maybe JPL will put this info in a FAQ or somewhere on
their MER site.

Mark