Hubble Question...

Old March 1st 04, 06:28 AM
G EddieA95

Default Hubble Question...

There were two (three?) fatalities inside Columbia before STS-1 - two
technicians were caught in an area purged of oxygen -

Was this on the orbiter, or inside the ET?
Old March 1st 04, 05:46 PM
LooseChanj

On or about 01 Mar 2004 05:28:06 GMT, G EddieA95 made the sensational claim that:
There were two (three?) fatalities inside Columbia before STS-1 - two
technicians were caught in an area purged of oxygen -

Was this on the orbiter, or inside the ET?

IIRC, it was the aft compartment of the orbiter. Inside the ET would probably
require you being liquified first.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old March 1st 04, 09:04 PM
Hallerb

IIRC, it was the aft compartment of the orbiter. Inside the ET would
probably
require you being liquified first.

Ahh I assume people do occasionally enter the inside of the ET for inspwections
and such?
Old March 1st 04, 09:15 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , G EddieA95 wrote:
There were two (three?) fatalities inside Columbia before STS-1 - two
technicians were caught in an area purged of oxygen -

Was this on the orbiter, or inside the ET?

Inside Columbia; I think the aft compartment, though there's conflicting
versions. The area had been filled with nitrogen, and - presumably - the
technicians weren't aware of this. A couple of other people were
injured; I'm not sure if this was in the same incident, or whilst trying
to respond to it.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old March 1st 04, 11:31 PM
jeff findley

(Hallerb) writes:

Ahh I assume people do occasionally enter the inside of the ET for inspwections
and such?

This is made possible through the inspection hatches in the tank.

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/...ewsref/et.html

In the picture of the O2 tank, the manhole cover is shown. I'm sure
similar pictures of the H2 tank can be found.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.