Delta V: Low Lunar Orbit to Surface?

Old September 1st 05, 03:17 PM
Alex Terrell

Default Delta V: Low Lunar Orbit to Surface?

Can anyone tell me what the delta V required by a lunar lander / ascent
vehicle is?

http://www.answers.com/topic/delta-v-budget gives 1600 m/s.

http://www.pma.caltech.edu/~chirata/deltav.html also gives 1600m/s.

http://spacecraft.ssl.umd.edu/academ...mech_2003C.pdf
gives 2.132km/s for ascent, and 2.684km/s for descent.

Escape velocity from the moon is 2.38km/s, so IIRC, to lunar orbit
should = 2.38 / sqrt(2) = 1.68km/s.

What do NASA budget and how low is a low lunar orbit?

Thanks

Alex

Old September 1st 05, 07:37 PM
Hop David

Alex Terrell wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the delta V required by a lunar lander / ascent
vehicle is?

http://www.answers.com/topic/delta-v-budget gives 1600 m/s.

http://www.pma.caltech.edu/~chirata/deltav.html also gives 1600m/s.

Like you, I got at least 1.68 km/s. That's for a 0 km altitude orbit. An
orbit that'd last a little while would have to higher because the moon's
uneven gravity field would destabilize a low moon orbit.

It puzzles me that they give 1600 m/s. If they're rounding, 1700 m/s is
a better approximation.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old September 2nd 05, 07:00 AM
George William Herbert

Hop David wrote:
Alex Terrell wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the delta V required by a lunar lander / ascent
vehicle is?
http://www.answers.com/topic/delta-v-budget gives 1600 m/s.
http://www.pma.caltech.edu/~chirata/deltav.html also gives 1600m/s.

Like you, I got at least 1.68 km/s. That's for a 0 km altitude orbit. An
orbit that'd last a little while would have to higher because the moon's
uneven gravity field would destabilize a low moon orbit.

It puzzles me that they give 1600 m/s. If they're rounding, 1700 m/s is
a better approximation.

I commend to you:
http://www.retro.com/employees/gherb...PlusStats.html
aka http://tinyurl.com/2ft8m

(thank you, gods of random capricious alphanum generation)

The above tabulation is from many different tables in the
Apollo By The Numbers book.

max Apollo descent injection burn 214 ft/sec
max LM descent 6813 ft/sec
max LM ascent 6076 ft/sec

Total of maxes is 13,103 ft/sec = 3,995 m/s.

The numbers used in people's CEV proposals are plus or
minus a tiny skosh exactly these values. You can get
a moderately better profile with different thrusts
for the propulsion but not a whole lot. There's a bit
of a description in the trajectories/entry/landing
chapter of Human Spaceflight Mission Analysis and Design.

-george william herbert
/

Old September 2nd 05, 10:26 AM
Alex Terrell

Thanks.

Any idea how this would change for a polar base? I suspect it would be
minimal change for a direct descent cargo.

However, I've hear that lunar polar orbits are unstable, which might
make leaving the CEV in polar orbit problematic. However, to go from a
pole to an equatorial orbit woud use extra delta-V. How much?

One could park the CEV at L1, but the L1 to moon journey time would be
a day or so.

Old September 2nd 05, 06:12 PM
Hop David

George William Herbert wrote:
Hop David wrote:

Alex Terrell wrote:

[...]

Which (according to Google's calculator) is 2076.6 m/sec

max LM ascent 6076 ft/sec

Which is 1852 m/sec.

Maybe it's a little higher than the 1680 m/sec figure Alex & I reached
because the low moon orbit is higher than 0 km/sec. Also I'd guess the
ascent and descent burns would have a vertical vector component and thus
gravity drag would steal delta vee for the duration of the burn.

Total of maxes is 13,103 ft/sec = 3,995 m/s.

The numbers used in people's CEV proposals are plus or
minus a tiny skosh exactly these values. You can get
a moderately better profile with different thrusts
for the propulsion but not a whole lot. There's a bit
of a description in the trajectories/entry/landing
chapter of Human Spaceflight Mission Analysis and Design.

By Pranke & Larson? Amazon lists it for $64.75. A little high but it
sounds like a good resource. I might get it.

-george william herbert
/

Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo Moon Hoax FAQ v4.1 November 2003 Nathan Jones Misc 20 November 11th 03 07:33 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ v4 Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 1 November 4th 03 11:52 PM