A red moon after all?

Old October 16th 03, 12:37 AM
aniram

Default A red moon after all?

It is amazing that one of the historical breaking news of human kind
is hardly mentioned by the biggest, loud mouth, bully media in the
world. I wonder if others notice the miniscule news being reported on
this event by its giant TV media or in its internet website. They
usually roar like a lion, but today they are quiet like a mouse.
Good thing that they found other news to fill the time slot... bomb
attack in Gaza, ferry accident in NY, CUB losing the game, or removing
feeding tube in Florida.

Mike Combs wrote in message ...
Geoff Blackmore wrote:

It'll be interesting to see if the US steps up to a new space race,

The original space race began because the US was electrified by the news of
Sputnik. To gauge the extent to which the nation is electrified by the news of
the Chinese launch, I would submit as evidence the half-hour of CNN Headline
News I watched this morning. They led with a sports story, spent about 5
minutes on the Kobe Bryant case, and then spent less than 30 seconds on the
launch over half way through.

or will
the war on terrorism and growing deficit ensure the US can't afford it?

There will be no galvanization of our space efforts, but I think you're
pointing at the wrong reasons. The real reason is that nobody cares who's
doing what in space these days.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Gerard O'Neill - "The High Frontier"

Old October 16th 03, 01:44 AM
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

"aniram" wrote in message
om...
It is amazing that one of the historical breaking news of human kind
is hardly mentioned by the biggest, loud mouth, bully media in the
world. I wonder if others notice the miniscule news being reported on
this event by its giant TV media or in its internet website. They
usually roar like a lion, but today they are quiet like a mouse.
Good thing that they found other news to fill the time slot... bomb
attack in Gaza, ferry accident in NY, CUB losing the game, or removing
feeding tube in Florida.

I too was amazed.
Maybe it left a sour taste in the mouth of some people in authority.
OTOH, perhaps they were just too stupid to see what a momentous event this
really was.
It's not as if the Chinese are just going to give up having proved a point -
they're not Americans.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
The political party for the new millennium
http://www.theconsensus.org

Old October 16th 03, 02:52 PM
Gene Seibel

I agree totally. CNN even sent out a 'breaking news' e-mail about the
launch to those on their list, but when I tuned in for coverage there
was not even a mention. I was particularly disgusted with the ferry
coverage. That should have been a local rather than worldwide story.
Does NY think they are that important to the rest fo the world?
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old October 16th 03, 06:22 PM
Guru Google

(Gene Seibel) wrote in message . com...
I agree totally. CNN even sent out a 'breaking news' e-mail about the
launch to those on their list, but when I tuned in for coverage there
was not even a mention. I was particularly disgusted with the ferry
coverage. That should have been a local rather than worldwide story.
Does NY think they are that important to the rest fo the world?

Ha! Ur 1st mistake is thinking CNN serves the world, not focusing on
the Americans. Repeat after me. Time Warner is a US company.

CNN did put the launch news in the front for almost one day.

Now think abot this. People are killed in New York. Many are hurt.
It's not clear whether it's an accident, or a planned one. Is it
important? You tell me.

By the way, there is one day between the LAUNCH and the ferry
accident, or Cub losing. Breaking news emails are not useful if you
don't check your emails that often.

Hehe.

Old October 16th 03, 10:16 PM
Gene Seibel

CNN serves NY and LA, not the US. A couple years ago we had a 24 car
pileup outside Kansas City that killed 10 and injured many more.
Didn't get a fraction of the coverage the ferry got. CNN considers 10
people dying in NY a much more important story than 10 dying in the
Midwest.

As for the breaking news e-mail - my e-mail program checks my e-mail
every 5 minutes. I turned on CNN immediately when it came in and
watched for an hour without a single mention.

Old October 17th 03, 07:17 AM
Guru Google

(Gene Seibel) wrote in message . com...
CNN serves NY and LA, not the US.

Ur wrong. Anyway, if you wanna think so, fine. Then you answered your
own question. If CNN serves NY and LA, why is it wrong to put NY
ferry accident more important than Chinese astronaut coming home?

A couple years ago we had a 24 car
pileup outside Kansas City that killed 10 and injured many more.
Didn't get a fraction of the coverage the ferry got. CNN considers 10
people dying in NY a much more important story than 10 dying in the
Midwest.

10 people dying in an accident, plus thousands scared on the ferry not
know what happened, jumped into water, or have their legs broken by
the accident (or watch the bad bloody scene), and then the boats gotta
suspended so today 60,000 people gotta find some other way to go for
work, and tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow......

No matter what, if you hate CNN, fine. Switch to People Daily or
Xinhua. You're gonna love it

As for the breaking news e-mail - my e-mail program checks my e-mail
every 5 minutes. I turned on CNN immediately when it came in and
watched for an hour without a single mention.

Turned on CNN? Hey, you use emails to notify you of breaking news but
you don't use
http://www.cnn.com/ but you wanna use television
program. Funny. Why using an online tool for breaking news but use
another media to see that? Your pocket PC screen too smal??

Fine. You wanna watch television, then you know CNN, or any other TV
media, wanna have some video to show. For the ferry accident, you got
video. For Chinese astronaut going home, you only have a short video
released by Beijing authority. Which video do you wanna show before
you **** off the audience make them bored? You tell me.

It's your freedom. Again, it is a news for Chinese to launch a guy
into space, but it's not such a big news for him to return home
safely, when 10 people in NY lost. Russia and US did it 40 years ago,
and tons of countries can do it but not did it.

Old October 17th 03, 02:52 PM
Newsgroup Poster

(Gene Seibel) wrote in message . com...
I agree totally. CNN even sent out a 'breaking news' e-mail about the
launch to those on their list, but when I tuned in for coverage there
was not even a mention. I was particularly disgusted with the ferry
coverage. That should have been a local rather than worldwide story.
Does NY think they are that important to the rest fo the world?
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 -
http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html
Because I fly, I envy no one.

I was quite surprised that none other than the BBC led its coverage
that night with the ferry disaster.

NYC truly is the Capital of the World!
Old October 17th 03, 03:00 PM
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

"Newsgroup Poster" wrote in message
om...
(Gene Seibel) wrote in message

. com...
I agree totally. CNN even sent out a 'breaking news' e-mail about the
launch to those on their list, but when I tuned in for coverage there
was not even a mention. I was particularly disgusted with the ferry
coverage. That should have been a local rather than worldwide story.
Does NY think they are that important to the rest fo the world?
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 -
http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html
Because I fly, I envy no one.

I was quite surprised that none other than the BBC led its coverage
that night with the ferry disaster.

NYC truly is the Capital of the World!

And for real amusement consider the fact that Plutonium smuggling no longer
even makes it to the national news.

Old October 17th 03, 03:18 PM
Gene Seibel

10 people dying in an accident, plus thousands scared on the ferry not
know what happened, jumped into water, or have their legs broken by
the accident (or watch the bad bloody scene), and then the boats gotta
suspended so today 60,000 people gotta find some other way to go for
work, and tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow......

A local story.

Fine. You wanna watch television, then you know CNN, or any other TV
media, wanna have some video to show. For the ferry accident, you got
video. For Chinese astronaut going home, you only have a short video
released by Beijing authority. Which video do you wanna show before
you **** off the audience make them bored? You tell me.

If they choose their stories by what video they have, they are
entertainment, not news.