Ariane 5/Smart-1 succesfully launched

Old September 28th 03, 02:39 AM
Jonathan Archer

Default Ariane 5/Smart-1 succesfully launched

Arianne 5 succesfully launched on Saturday evening (Sunday morning local
time), bringing into space the European SMART-1 satellite that will use a ion
drive to get to the moon, as well as 2 other satellites.

Interestingly, this launch was broadcasted on BBCworld. In the past, the only
launches we saw on TV were the ones that ended up as fireworks giving the
impression that Arianne exploded just about every launch.

Hopefully there won't be any mishaps between now and the launch of the first
ATV to the station.
Old September 28th 03, 03:07 PM
Jacques van Oene

I saw the launch at the ESA/ESTEC visitor center the Noordwijk Space Expo
this morning, here you can see some photo's I took of the big TV screen:

http://www.mach25.nl/~jacques/smart/ariane.html

Jacques :-)

Editor: www.spacepatches.info