Does Mars need women? Russians say no

Old February 16th 05, 04:07 AM
Pat Flannery

Scott Hedrick wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Rand, I hate to break it to you, but I haven't had sex with a woman (or
anyone else, if your wondering) in around 22 years-

Which explains the link to the duck homosexual necrophilia...

I have only one thing to say to a scurrilous canard like that- "Aflac!"
"Say the magic woid, and down comes the horny gay duck."
Now that would have livened things up, wouldn't it?
I once shot a homosexual necrophilic duck in my pajamas...how it got
into my pajamas is beyond me...let's just say that was the last time I
wore duck egg blue pajamas...at least while hunting. :-)

Groucho
Old February 16th 05, 04:08 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Alternately, one with air pressurized tubes that would
take effort to move, thereby using the stiffness problem of pressure
suits to one's advantage?

After posting a link to a duck fornicating with a dead duck, you really
shouldn't talk about stiff tubes.

Old February 16th 05, 02:55 PM
Henry Spencer

rk wrote:
...None of this has been tested yet with crews on Mir and Alpha
having been too small.

There are higher priority problems and issues to deal with at the moment than
the sexual issues in space that interest you.

Besides, there's nothing particularly unique about space in those areas.
There is extensive relevant Earth experience, e.g. from Antarctic stations
(yes, there are many Antarctic stations now with mixed crews, some small).
There are issues, but they are manageable.

Incidentally, provided they are halfway mature, men behave *better* in a
mixed crew than in an all-male one.

Also remember that interactive communications with a spouse will
not be possible once far enough from earth, and that is something which
has not really been tested much so far. And it isn't just the person is
space one much consider, but also the spouse and possibly kids who won't
see their parent for such a long time.

Evidently John Doe has never heard of submarines, or polar expeditions,
or etc. etc. Interactive communication beyond shouting distance is new,
barely a century old, and still doesn't reach everywhere people go.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old February 16th 05, 05:19 PM
Doug...

says...
John Doe wrote:

snip

Also remember that interactive communications with a spouse will
not be possible once far enough from earth, and that is something which
has not really been tested much so far. And it isn't just the person is
space one much consider, but also the spouse and possibly kids who won't
see their parent for such a long time.

OK, so there's your excuse, the married woman in the experiment just needed
it, he was doing a public service, eh, Mezei?

I will point out that there was a rather nasty flap in the press a
couple of years ago regarding a Russian-sponsored isolation experiment.
The experiment was designed to put a mixed-nationality, mixed-sex crew
into a situation roughly similar to that of an extended planetary flight
-- no real-time communications with the outside, a timeline of system
maintenance and extended training for later mission phases... that kind
of thing.

The experiment ended rather abruptly when one of the Russian men decided
to grab, fondle and roughly kiss one of the American women. Against her
will.

The Russian government has downplayed the whole incident as just
representing the "ebullient good spirits" of the Russian man involved.
The guy himself said something along the lines of "It's just the Russian
way of being nice to a woman -- wink, wink."

The non-Russians withdrew from the experiment immediately after this
incident, IIRC.

So, there is definitely an issue out there. It's an issue that *will*
have to be addressed in one form or another, whether or not we want to
admit that it will likely rear its ugly head at some point...

--

"The problem isn't that there are so | Doug Van Dorn
many fools; it's that lightning isn't |

distributed right." -Mark Twain
Old February 17th 05, 07:10 AM
Doug...

says...
Doug... wrote in
:

In article ,
says...
John Doe wrote:

snip

[...]

Umm, Doug, you *might* want to review the thread before jumping in...
that's the exact incident that everyone's been arguing about.

I guess my server missed a few posts -- I thought people were discussing
the recent Russian declaration that all-male crews were preferable for
Mars missions, followed by a discussion of why, and why not. Sorry, I
missed specific references to the event I discussed...

Such are the joys of inconsistent news servers!

Old February 17th 05, 01:02 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Rhonda Lea Kirk" wrote in message
Pat Flannery wrote:
Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:

Andre No proof offered? Claim fails. /Andre

(Sorry, Rand, I just couldn't help myself.)

Watch it Rhonda, you're dealing with a space Lothario
here. ;-)

No worries. My heart belongs to you, Pat.

But her pancreas is all mine1

rl

Old February 17th 05, 03:28 PM
Jorge R. Frank

Doug... wrote in
:

In article ,
says...
Doug... wrote in
:

In article ,
says...
John Doe wrote:

snip

[...]

It just occurred to me: do you use killfiles? One person involved in the
discussion of the incident is a frequent resident in many regulars'
killfiles, and if your newsreader is sophisticated enough to kill replies
as well, you may never have seen the discussion.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old February 17th 05, 04:04 PM
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
Doug... wrote
Jorge Frank wrote:
Doug... wrote:
rk says...
John Doe wrote:

snip

[...]

I thought at first that it might be because he was
reading from a different group--some people have been
trimming headers and others have not, which has led to
some odd sub-threads, including this one.

But when I went back and looked at both groups, the
Lapierre incident is retold in the thread immediately
prior to this one entitled: "Russian: MEN WILL BE FIRST
TO GO TO MARS" and only referred to in this thread
beginning with Rand's
response to "John Doe."

rl