NASA leaders weigh impact of hurricanes on return to flight plans

Old October 13th 04, 03:00 AM
Paul F. Dietz

Jeff Findley wrote:

Worst case, you'd end up with the VAB structure still
standing, but the exterior panels and roof would largely be gone, with the
falling and flying debris damaging the shuttles stored inside.

The orbiters weren't stored in the VAB.

Paul
Old October 13th 04, 02:25 PM
Jeff Findley

"Paul F. Dietz" wrote in message
Jeff Findley wrote:

Worst case, you'd end up with the VAB structure still
standing, but the exterior panels and roof would largely be gone, with

the
falling and flying debris damaging the shuttles stored inside.

The orbiters weren't stored in the VAB.

Not this time, but I'm thinking about how this will impact operations once
the shuttle starts flying again. When an orbiter is "stacked" on the MLP
with the ET and SRB's, I believe the VAB is the safe haven for the orbiter
during threatening weather. A quick web search seems to indicate that this
is the proper procedure for a stacked orbiter.

Jeff

Old October 14th 04, 06:53 AM
Jack Denver

Alan Erskine YOU WILL BE AUSI ROAD KILL IN 24 HOURS.
Old October 14th 04, 07:21 PM
dave schneider

"Jeff Findley" wrote:
[...]
When an orbiter is "stacked" on the MLP
with the ET and SRB's, I believe the VAB is the safe haven for the orbiter
during threatening weather. A quick web search seems to indicate that this
is the proper procedure for a stacked orbiter.

c.f. http://images.ksc.nasa.gov/photos/2000/captions/KSC-00PP-1109.html

and http://images.ksc.nasa.gov/photos/2000/captions/KSC-00PP-1110.html
http://images.ksc.nasa.gov/photos/2000/captions/KSC-00PP-1115.html

and a few in between.

/dps
Old October 14th 04, 08:14 PM
Jeff Findley

"dave schneider" wrote in message
om...

c.f. http://images.ksc.nasa.gov/photos/2000/captions/KSC-00PP-1109.html

and http://images.ksc.nasa.gov/photos/2000/captions/KSC-00PP-1110.html
http://images.ksc.nasa.gov/photos/2000/captions/KSC-00PP-1115.html

Cool pictures. I especially like the shot that shows how the crawler way
curves around the building to allow access to the other side of the VAB.

Jeff

Old October 15th 04, 12:56 AM
Derek Lyons

"Paul F. Dietz" wrote:

Jeff Findley wrote:

Worst case, you'd end up with the VAB structure still
standing, but the exterior panels and roof would largely be gone, with the
falling and flying debris damaging the shuttles stored inside.

The orbiters weren't stored in the VAB.

No, but there is (IIRC) at least one ET plus a number of inert SRB
components.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.