SHAME ON EDDINGTON, GLORY ON TODAY'S EINSTEINIANS

Old September 27th 15, 08:36 AM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Default SHAME ON EDDINGTON, GLORY ON TODAY'S EINSTEINIANS

Glory on honest Paul Lasky and Ryan Shannon:

http://theconversation.com/where-are...al-waves-47940
Paul Lasky, Ryan Shannon: "As part of the Parkes Pulsar Timing Array, we have been observing pulsar J1909-3744 with the CSIRO's Parkes Radio Telescope for 11 years. (...) Gravitational waves from all of the black holes in the universe were supposed to ruin the timing precision of this pulsar. But they have not. (...) Why no gravitational waves? But we want to be very clear that our lack of a detection does not imply that Einstein's theory of relativity is wrong, nor does it imply that gravitational waves don't exist. While we don't know the real solution, we have a number of ideas."

Michael Burton, Professor in Physics and Astronomy, UNSW Australia: "So how many rotations of the pulsar will you need to count before you can conclude that the theory of gravitational waves is in serious trouble? Twice as many, tens times as many?"

Paul Lasky, in reply to Michael Burton: "The devil is all in the detail here. As we discuss in the article, there are many ways the amplitude of the background could be smaller for much more mundane reasons than Einstein being wrong. We could certainly observe for another 5 years and not see anything. Even then we would not say that Einstein was wrong..."

http://www.everythingimportant.org/E...neEinstein.jpg

Pentcho Valev