Nikon Coolpix P900 83x zoom (2000 mm) $500

Old June 26th 17, 04:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Default Nikon Coolpix P900 83x zoom (2000 mm) $500

Throw your telescope away, right now! LOL!
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ightExtend.JPG

Jupiter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiO4jZr9CE

Nikon P900 photos of the ISS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjt22yeps5o
Old June 26th 17, 04:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 8:45:25 AM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:
Throw your telescope away, right now! LOL!
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ightExtend.JPG

Jupiter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiO4jZr9CE

Nikon P900 photos of the ISS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjt22yeps5o

Can you see Saturn with a Nikon P900?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-bT2hNzUCc
Old June 26th 17, 06:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:45:25 AM UTC-5, StarDust wrote:
Throw your telescope away, right now! LOL!
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ightExtend.JPG

Jupiter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiO4jZr9CE

Nikon P900 photos of the ISS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjt22yeps5o

Throw your telescope away? Right. And then what, look at the sky with a 1" aperture at best? Don't you realize that the whole idea is to gather light, and that light gathering is proportional to the square of the aperture?

And as far as seeing two bands on Jupiter, I can do that with a cheap and cheerful 50mm 30x achromat that you can pick up in any department store.

Let me know when a digital camera can take images like this: http://saturn.cstoneind.com/
http://jupiter.cstoneind.com/
Old June 26th 17, 07:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:33:01 AM UTC-7, Razzmatazz wrote:
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:45:25 AM UTC-5, StarDust wrote:
Throw your telescope away, right now! LOL!
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ightExtend.JPG

Jupiter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiO4jZr9CE

Nikon P900 photos of the ISS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjt22yeps5o

Throw your telescope away? Right. And then what, look at the sky with a 1" aperture at best? Don't you realize that the whole idea is to gather light, and that light gathering is proportional to the square of the aperture?

And as far as seeing two bands on Jupiter, I can do that with a cheap and cheerful 50mm 30x achromat that you can pick up in any department store.

Let me know when a digital camera can take images like this: http://saturn.cstoneind.com/
http://jupiter.cstoneind.com/

No, it can't take fine images like that, but don't need a truck to haul all that astro gear either and cost 1/10 less.
Planets are bright, so don't need large aperture telescope to see them well.
I think, this $500 camera can be lot of fun not only for astronomy but for birding also.
I all ready have the Canon SX40 35x zoom, did nice photos, videos of solar eclipses, Moon hand held, no tracking, without setting up my much more bulkier astro gear.
Old June 26th 17, 08:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 1:56:53 PM UTC-5, StarDust wrote:
[...]

I'm not arguing against anything that you say, but come on - "throw your telescope away??" Nothing takes the place of clear aperture. resolution and light grasp both depend on aperture. And you can make a powerful telescope out of just a few components. They don't have to weigh a ton either. Some are super portable. Last century Robert Cox built a portable reflector that fit in his pocket, complete with eyepiece. Based on Horace Dall's DK design.

Razzy

Old June 26th 17, 09:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 8:45:25 AM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:
Throw your telescope away, right now! LOL!
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ightExtend.JPG

Jupiter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiO4jZr9CE

Nikon P900 photos of the ISS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjt22yeps5o

P900 hourly moon topography my version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-s88CEyU6Q

Nice! Camera has a built in virtual level?
Old June 26th 17, 09:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 6:33:01 PM UTC+1, Razzmatazz wrote:
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:45:25 AM UTC-5, StarDust wrote:
Throw your telescope away, right now! LOL!
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ightExtend.JPG

Jupiter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiO4jZr9CE

Nikon P900 photos of the ISS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjt22yeps5o

Throw your telescope away? Right. And then what, look at the sky with a 1" aperture at best? Don't you realize that the whole idea is to gather light, and that light gathering is proportional to the square of the aperture?

And as far as seeing two bands on Jupiter, I can do that with a cheap and cheerful 50mm 30x achromat that you can pick up in any department store.

Let me know when a digital camera can take images like this: http://saturn.cstoneind.com/
http://jupiter.cstoneind.com/

These are lovely images and people should rightly be proud of them but interpretation is precisely zero as the Solstice for both Saturn and the Earth have coincided to a close proximity. The rings help define the Solstice for Saturn and the great Hubble shows how that planet turns as a function of its orbital motion -

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages...3156_hires.jpg

The Earth's orbital surface rotation as distinct from daily rotation is far more fascinating as it makes life possible, even for ungrateful magnification hobbyists and their very limited view of the planets, their motions and solar system structure -

https://epic.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Old June 26th 17, 11:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 3:05:16 PM UTC-5, StarDust wrote:
[...]

Can't take a joke?
This is a long focus. low cost, consumer bridge camera, not even a professional camera. LOL!
Not even designed for astro photography, just another possibility for to use!
I'm sure if the lens elements would be made APO with exotic glass or fluoride materials, it would work even better, 5x the cost.

It is an apo made with exotic glass. Ordinary achromat lenses don't work with digital technology. And no, it won't cost 5x as much. The apo elements are tiny compared to a telescope. What is it about aperture that you don't understand? Cost of optical glass goes by the cube of the diameter. Therefore a 4" aperture glass costs on the order of 8 times as much as a 2" diameter lens of the same glass. That's why refractive optics are out of bounds cost-wise above about 8" and most scopes above that are mirror types that can do with the most basic inexpensive glass materials.

Razzy
Old June 27th 17, 01:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 3:55:15 PM UTC-7, Razzmatazz wrote:
[...]

Here's a used Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX DG APO HSM Auto Focus Telephoto Lens for Canon EOS Cameras .
Price:$2749
Two Extraordinary Low Dispersion (ELD) glass elements produce excellent image quality.
So, those 2 pieces of ELD glass elements would cost so much?
How would Jupiter look like in this telephoto lens?

https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%20%...Jk0aAt9M8P8HAQ

From this Sigma zoom lens I can buy 5 Nikon P900 camera, with 4x more optical zoom.