ASTRO: IC 5285

Old February 25th 14, 07:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: IC 5285

This field of Pegasus galaxies lies about 260 million light-years from
us and is located in the northwest corner of the Great Square of
Pegasus. I centered on the triple ring galaxy II Zw 188/IC 5385.
That's how it is described in the CGCG catalog. Unless the core is
considered a ring I'm not sure where the third ring is hiding. It is a
rather red spiral indicating no new star birth of any significance for
some time unless it is hidden in the dense core region. The outer ring
is not a nice neat oval but has a rather irregular shape which seems
hard to explain. It reminds me of M94 with the large but faint outer
ring though M94's ring is more regularly shaped. To the northeast is
NGC 7489. It is listed as Sd by NED and Sc by the NGC Project. It is a
nice face on spiral. Discovered in 1863 by William Lassell using a 48"
reflector, it has a strange elongated feature at the north end. Almost
looks like an edge on galaxy. Maybe it is, however it isn't listed in
any catalog that I found. But then many of the bright galaxies in this
field are anonymous as far as I can tell. If it is part of the galaxy
it is a very strange feature. The arms to the south seem oddly cut off
compared to those to the north. At the bottom of the image is the flat
galaxy 2MFCG 17362. Like all the other cataloged galaxies in the image
but the first two it is a find of the 2 micron infra red survey. The
only one with a known redshift. Have these three interacted in the
past? Could this account for the odd ring of IC 5285 and/or the odd arm
structure of NGC 7489? I found nothing to indicate this has even been
looked at let alone answered. In any case I doubt they have interacted
but it is possible.

The field had quite a bit of IFN but my exposure was too short for the
poor transparency conditions so I pretty well processed it out not
certain which was real and which was a product of varying conditions.
All galaxies listed at NED are identified in the annotated image, that's
not very many of them. This is a poorly studied region.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC5285L4X10RGB2X10R.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	5000  Click image for larger version

Name:	IC5285L4X10RGB2X10R-ID.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	5001  Click image for larger version

Name:	IC5285L4X10RGB2X10CROP-R125.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	5002
Old March 3rd 14, 08:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

these two make a great pair. Another one for my list, although probably
quite faint.

Stefan