Jupiter's Great Red Spot

Old July 18th 17, 10:51 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Arc Michael

Default Jupiter's Great Red Spot

On 2017-07-11, Greg Goss wrote:
(Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
As for the colors of planets (as seen through atmosphrere from
Earth, mind you), there used to be a saying among classic (I mean
Greco-Roman times), that three astronomical objects shone red:
Sirius, Mars, and Jupiter (but not as red) Sirius is certainly
not red today, and current astrophysics has no explanation for a
star turning from bright red to bright blue-white. If ever I
meet an astrophysicist, I'll ask him/her, "What's your
hypothesis," and if the answer is "I haven't got one," I'll take
that as an honest answer.

so some souls came by Sirius B, aka Planet Silius a white dwarf

Three red objects? How about Antares ("not Mars") and Betelguese?

Astrophysics does have a hypothesis to cover that: namely, that in historical
times Sirius B was a red giant, that there was a nova (which doesn't seem to
have been recorded, but historical astronomy records are spotty in places),
which led to it becoming the white dwarf we currently see.

Would require fairly coincidental timing, but we already know we had that with
nearby _super_novae, a drought of which lasted from juuuust before the
invention of the telescope (Kepler's, 1604) to a few decades ago when SN1987A
popped in the Large Magellanic Cloud (and also showed up through neutrino
astronomy). So not actually impossible.

Dave, of course a nebular remnant should be visible and as far as I know isn't,
but maybe alien space bats
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeableBLINK
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.