ASTRO: NGC 6928 and a few "friends"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 23rd 14, 08:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 6928 and a few "friends"

NGC 6928/2MFGC 15597 is a flat galaxy in Delphinus near its tail and is
about 190 to 200 million light-years distant. It anchors a small group
of galaxies known as the NGC 6928 group. It makes the 2 micron flat
galaxy catalog but not the more demanding Flat Galaxy Catalog. Probably
not being seen edge on determining if it meet those more stringent
requirements is impossible. In my image I get the distinct impression
the core is depressed, that is thinner than the dust lanes in front of
it as if hiding behind them. If real it likely would appear very thin
and without a core seen edge on. NGC 6930 to the southeast is another
member at the same distance. It has a very close companion that too
made the 2 Micron Flat Galaxy Catalog. How I can't fathom. It doesn't
appear flat to me and is classed as a compact spiral though I see no
spiral structure. It does have some interesting dust and seems
distorted. Could it be interaction with NGC 6930? If so I found
nothing in the literature on it. It does have an AGN in its core
meaning its black hole is well fed. This could, but doesn't have to,
mean it is interacting. Though NGC 6930 seems pretty undisturbed by the
whole affair though it appears its northern end may be hiding behind
this little galaxy. There's a star just east of its core making it hard
to decipher what's going on.

The third NGC galaxy in the image is the mostly featureless NGC 6927
also at the same redshift as the first three. It lies to the west
southwest of NGC 6928. Below it is NGC 6927A. A companion maybe but
certainly doesn't appear to be interacting. It's redshift is the only
one of the group that is even slightly different putting it about 190
million light-years distant rather than 200 million like the others. It
is also the smallest.

Several other galaxies are nearby such as the one directly below NGC
6928 that is unlabeled on the annotated image. It's not labeled because
it isn't even listed in NED. Southeast of NGC 6930 is the 2MASS galaxy
2MASX J20330454+0951338 which is just its J2000 coordinates. This means
it is pouring out a lot of deep infra red light but nothing else is
known at NED, not even a magnitude. It appears to be a tight spiral to
my eye but again NED doesn't attempt to classify it. Most of the faint
galaxies in the image are not in NED but for a handful of IR rich
galaxies that made the 2 Micron catalog. The only one with redshift
data is another from the 2 Micron Flat galaxy catalog, 2MFGC 15581 in
the upper right corner of my image. It doesn't appear all that flat to
me but it made the cut. NPM1G +09.0506 to the southeast is also in the 2
MASS catalog but also made the Link Northern Proper Motion program so
tired of long 2MASS names I used the NPM1G entry instead but it too is
strong in IR light.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6928RGB2X10R.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	469.8 KB
ID:	4997  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6928RGB2X10R-ID.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	4998  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6928RGB2X10CROP150.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	4999