Launch gun.

Old October 9th 06, 12:31 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
tadchem[_1_]

Default Launch gun.

Sorcerer wrote:
http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn10180

--
Der alte Hexenmeister ist:
Sorcerer Androcles Dumbledore, Headmaster, hogwarts.physics

http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Have Jules Verne or Victor Barbicane weighed in on this post yet,
Androcles?

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA

Old October 9th 06, 02:11 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Sorcerer[_3_]

"George Dishman" wrote in message
ps.com...

| Sorcerer wrote:
| "George Dishman" wrote in message
| oups.com...
| |
| | Sorcerer wrote:
| | "George Dishman" wrote in message
| | ups.com...
| | |
| | | Sorcerer wrote:
| | | "George Dishman" wrote in message
| | | ups.com...
| | | |

| | | |
| | | |
that amount.
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | | Let's see... 2 km ring, 45 degree optimum angle, height = 1414
metres
| | |
| | | The article says 30 degrees but let's assume they
| | | can't find a site that steep.
| |
| | Stupid assumption, what's wrong with the north face of the Eiger,
| | ****head?
| |
| | Optimum launch angle neglecting drag is zero degrees
| | of course, you've clearly not done much engineering.
|
| Two requirements, gain altitude ASAP to get out of drag
| which CANNOT be neglected, and horizontal velocity to gain orbit
| Of course.
|
| Obviously, hence you cannot find the optimum angle
| without knowing the drag coefficient. What you can
| infer from their statement that the speed could be
| built up over "several hours" is that they are neglecting
| drag for some bizarre reason. Get real about drag and
| the whole idea is a non-starter.
|
| You clearly no sweet ****-all about ballistics, all rockets
| (expect military rockets) take off vertically for a very good
| reason - gain altitude and get out of the drag zone.
|
| If you've ever watched the shuttle take off from nearby
| you'd know that it soon changes to a quite different
| trajectory. You lose sight of it not going up into the
| clouds but as it falls below the horizon.

I have, up close and personal, even took photographs,
also I've seen it at night from Florida's west coast, Port Charlotte.

You clearly no sweet ****-all about clouds.
If you've ever flown in a plane or climbed a mountain you'd
know the approximate height of cumulus nimbus is 2000 metres
with cirrus stratus at 20,000 metres.

That cloud the shuttle leaves behind is neither and is toxic.
I lost sight of the shuttle when it went up into the clouds.

You need a damned good telescope to see the hull of QE II drop
below the horizon, never mind a shuttle small enough to ride on
the back of a B747.
You are an arrogant ignoramus and bigot, Dishwater.

Androcles.

Old October 9th 06, 02:28 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Sorcerer[_3_]

"tadchem" wrote in message
oups.com...

| Sorcerer wrote:
| http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn10180
|
| --
| Der alte Hexenmeister ist:
| Sorcerer Androcles Dumbledore, Headmaster, hogwarts.physics
| school for zauberlehrlings.
| "One muggle's magic is another sorcerer's engineering"
|
| http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
|
| Have Jules Verne or Victor Barbicane weighed in on this post yet,
| Androcles?

Post? This is a post:
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonde.../NorthPole.JPG

No, but H.G. Wells did. The War of the Worlds began when the
Martians fired a chemical gun. Naturally the first Martians landed
in Surrey, England, Orson Welles was not Herbert Wells.

http://members.aol.com/jeff1070/wotw.html

"The most significant of these is a story titled "The War of the Worlds" by
H.G. Wells which has been used as the basis for many other fictional
invasion stories as well as a part of the U.S. government coverup of the
1938 invasion at Grover's Mill, New Jersey. However, Wells' story itself was
a fictionalized version of an actual invasion. "

http://www.war-of-the-worlds.org/Books/

Since you like sci-fi origins, you might make the connection he

'Really, this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension, though some people
who talk about the Fourth Dimension do not know they mean it. It is only
another way of looking at Time. There is no difference between Time and any
of the three dimensions of Space except that our consciousness moves along
with it.' -- Herbert George Wells - "The Time Machine" - 1895.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Einstein

Androcles.

Old October 9th 06, 08:26 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
tadchem[_1_]

Sorcerer wrote:
"tadchem" wrote in message

| Have Jules Verne or Victor Barbicane weighed in on this post yet,
| Androcles?

Post? This is a post:
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonde.../NorthPole.JPG

....and by brother complains that his ex-wives have given him the shaft.
He doesn't realize how lucky he is.

No, but H.G. Wells did. The War of the Worlds began when the
Martians fired a chemical gun. Naturally the first Martians landed
in Surrey, England, Orson Welles was not Herbert Wells.

Wells may have used a chemical gun in 1904, but Verne had his send big
gun men to the moon considerably earlier:
http://jv.gilead.org.il/pg/moon/

Since you like sci-fi origins, you might make the connection he

'Really, this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension, though some people
who talk about the Fourth Dimension do not know they mean it. It is only
another way of looking at Time. There is no difference between Time and any
of the three dimensions of Space except that our consciousness moves along
with it.' -- Herbert George Wells - "The Time Machine" - 1895.

Elegantly put. A little analytical geometry applied to the
four-dimensional space shows that a moving point in three-dimensional
space describes a line that is a rotation from three-space into the
fourth dimension.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Einstein

"The secret to success is to know something nobody else knows." -
Aristotle

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA

Old October 10th 06, 02:46 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro,sci.space.policy
Ross A. Finlayson

BDH wrote:
You get ahead of yourself. How is the power switched and stored?

Zen is good, in small doses. If you actually achieve Zen that is
definitely way too much.

Well, that's a pulsed power problem. Basically Dietz says quench the
coils. Me, I say bank switch the coils, for example, with an
energizing coil down the line.

There's a recent new book from Springer publishers about the pulsed
power problems, I shall perhaps read it.

We discussed these electromagnetic gun launch to space on the thread
"Coilguns and EM launchers" on sci.space.policy, there are many
problems besides the pulsed power switching discussed.

Ross