Apollo 10 LM gyrations

Old August 14th 04, 05:06 AM
Jud McCranie

Default Apollo 10 LM gyrations

When the Apollo 10 LM went into gyrations, I later heard that if the
gyrations had continued for 11 seconds more (or something like that),
it would have crashed onto the moon. Is that right?

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Old August 23rd 04, 10:48 AM
B.Alm

Jud McCranie wrote in message . ..
When the Apollo 10 LM went into gyrations, I later heard that if the
gyrations had continued for 11 seconds more (or something like that),
it would have crashed onto the moon. Is that right?

---
Replace you know what by j to email

Yes you are correct, it would definitely have crashed into the moon,
although the exact time is uncertain.
B.Alm
Old August 23rd 04, 02:30 PM
Herb Schaltegger

"Bad Weather" wrote:

(snipped trolling nonsense)

Teenagers shouldn't be allowed to access Usenet . . . :-/

PLONK

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

Old August 23rd 04, 08:59 PM
Rusty B

Jud McCranie wrote in message . ..
When the Apollo 10 LM went into gyrations, I later heard that if the
gyrations had continued for 11 seconds more (or something like that),
it would have crashed onto the moon. Is that right?

---

According to "Apollo by the Numbers" by Richard Orloff

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_00a_Cover.htm

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_10a_Summary.htm

The LM was at an altitude of 30 nautical miles above the moon when the
8-seconds of gyrations started. The low point of that orbit was 12.1
nautical miles. They were not on a path that was headed straight
downward,
they were still in orbit. I don't think they were in immediate danger
of crashing.

Here's the story as Orloff tells it.

"...The second LM maneuver, a 39.95-second descent propulsion system
phasing burn at 100:58:25.93, established a lead angle equivalent to
that which would occur at powered ascent cutoff during a lunar
landing, and put the LM into an orbit of 190.1 by 12.1 n mi.

At 102:44:49, during preparations for rendezvous with the CSM, the LM
started to wallow off slowly in yaw, and then stopped. At 102:45:12,
it started a rapid roll accompanied by small pitch and yaw rates. The
ascent stage was then separated from the descent stage at 102:45:16.9
at an altitude of 31.4 n mi and the motion was stopped eight seconds
later. A 15.55-second firing of the ascent engine at 102:55:02.13
placed the ascent stage into an orbit of 46.5 by 11.0 n mi. The
descent stage went into lunar orbit.

Analysis revealed that the cause of the anomalous motion was human
error. Inadvertently, the control mode of the LM abort guidance system
was returned to AUTO rather than being left in the ATTITUDE HOLD mode
for staging. In AUTO, the abort guidance system drove the LM to
acquire the CSM which was not in accordance with the planned attitude
timeline. The commander took over manual control to reestablish the
proper attitude...."

- Rusty Barton
Old August 23rd 04, 09:43 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Rusty B
writes
Jud McCranie wrote in message
When the Apollo 10 LM went into gyrations, I later heard that if the
gyrations had continued for 11 seconds more (or something like that),
it would have crashed onto the moon. Is that right?

---

According to "Apollo by the Numbers" by Richard Orloff

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_00a_Cover.htm

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_10a_Summary.htm

The LM was at an altitude of 30 nautical miles above the moon when the
8-seconds of gyrations started. The low point of that orbit was 12.1
nautical miles. They were not on a path that was headed straight
downward,
they were still in orbit. I don't think they were in immediate danger
of crashing.

Here's the story as Orloff tells it.

There's a rather more dramatic description in Tim Furniss's "Manned
Spaceflight Log" but I don't know if it's authentic.
'Cernan obviously thought the craft was going to crash.
"I'll tell you, there was a moment there, Tom"
The shaken astronaut didn't continue, but everyone knew what he meant.
Turning his attention to the pending engine burn, he said
"Let's worry about it when we make this burn... OK, Charlie, I think we
got all our marbles... We're sure coming down to that ground, I'll tell
you..." '
I'm reminded of M R James's comment "Dots are believed to be a good
substitute for effective writing. They are certainly an easy one. Let us
have a few more...", but is there a set of transcripts of the orbital
flights, like the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal?
Old August 23rd 04, 10:13 PM
Jud McCranie

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:43:10 +0100, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

There's a rather more dramatic description in Tim Furniss's "Manned
Spaceflight Log" but I don't know if it's authentic.
'Cernan obviously thought the craft was going to crash.
"I'll tell you, there was a moment there, Tom"

I think he also said "G*ddamn it" and "Son of a b*tch".

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Old August 23rd 04, 10:33 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Jud McCranie
writes
wrote:

There's a rather more dramatic description in Tim Furniss's "Manned
Spaceflight Log" but I don't know if it's authentic.
'Cernan obviously thought the craft was going to crash.
"I'll tell you, there was a moment there, Tom"

I think he also said "G*ddamn it" and "Son of a b*tch".

The second one is in the book, but not the first. I was saving bandwidth
:-)
Old August 23rd 04, 10:46 PM
Jud McCranie

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:33:04 +0100, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

I think he also said "G*ddamn it" and "Son of a b*tch".

The second one is in the book, but not the first. I was saving bandwidth

I was just going by memory, which may be wrong. I heard it in 69, and
there was some controversy of it being broadcast on the networks.

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Old August 23rd 04, 10:52 PM
Rusty B

wrote:

is there a set of transcripts of the orbital
flights, like the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal?

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/miss...s/apollo10.htm

The transcripts of Apollo 10 LM staging are at this URL: ( Starting on
page 211 of the PDF document [original page - "Day 5 - Page 209"]):

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/miss...ns/AS10_LM.PDF PDF

- Rusty Barton

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM