Is this scope good?

Old December 28th 03, 09:19 PM
hbol

Default Is this scope good?

Hello folks,
I have been thinking about buying this scope for backyard astronomy and was
wondering if anyone could help me with some critique on it usefulness and
viability.

Thank you.
hbol

Old December 28th 03, 09:25 PM
Starlord

You'd do better to look for a scope that uses the 1.25inch eyepieces.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"hbol" wrote in message
Hello folks,
I have been thinking about buying this scope for backyard astronomy and was
wondering if anyone could help me with some critique on it usefulness and
viability.

Thank you.
hbol

---

Old December 28th 03, 10:11 PM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:19:08 -0000, "hbol" wrote:

Hello folks,
I have been thinking about buying this scope for backyard astronomy and was
wondering if anyone could help me with some critique on it usefulness and
viability.

I agree with Starlord. Go to the RAQ he has constructed and I should
find a wealth of information , particularly for those just starting
out.

Although that scope has a lot of bells and whistles, that is a *LOT*
of money for a scope that doesn't even have an eyepiece as large as
the 1 1/4. Generally scopes with the 0.965" eyepieces fall into the
"dime store type" category.

"To me", I've come to associate scopes with the 0.965" eyepiece with
poor quality AND performance.

Good Luck,

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Thank you.
hbol

Old December 28th 03, 11:06 PM
hbol

Thank you guys for pointing that flaw out to me. Another question then. Can
anyone recommend a telescope dealership that will be helpful and not try to
push a piece off junk on me in the Atlanta area?
hbol

Old December 29th 03, 12:45 AM
Starlord

You might pick up a copy of either Sky & Telescope, or Astronomy magazines, also
you can check their online web sites too.

Old December 29th 03, 01:28 AM
Bill Nunnelee

In Atlanta try Camera Bug. Looks like their website is under construction,
but you can at least get their contact info there.

http://www.camerabug.com/

There are also lots of good mail order choices on the internet, too. Orion
is a good place to start.

http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?it...Type=HOME_PAGE

Old December 29th 03, 06:12 AM
Chuck Taylor

I would avoid it. 60mm is way too small. The small eyepiece means you can't
get good eyepieces (other than a few expensive options) for it without a
hybrid diagonal. They eyepieces with it aren't any good.

Try looking at www.astromart.com to find some better scopes. You also might
want to go to http://skyandtelescope.com/resources/organizations/ and find a
local astro club. Go to one of their public nights and you will be able to
look through a variety of telescopes and see what you like. You are also
likely to find someone who is looking to upgrade from their first telescope
and will give you a good deal --- while allowing you to look through it
first.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old December 29th 03, 10:38 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Chuck Taylor
writes
I would avoid it. 60mm is way too small. The small eyepiece means you can't
get good eyepieces (other than a few expensive options) for it without a
hybrid diagonal. They eyepieces with it aren't any good.

Minor nitpick - articles in Sky and Telescope have noted that 60mm is a
perfectly respectable aperture for a first telescope if you're on a
budget and want a highly portable instrument.
I agree wholeheartedly with the rest, and I wouldn't touch a telescope
on Ebay. Literally. I _would_ want to touch a telescope I was buying.
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old December 29th 03, 11:56 PM
hbol

I would like to thank everyone for their helpful advice. much appreciated
gentlemen and I will take note of all the useful advice when purchasing.
hbol